Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is a room a room?

AKA behind the news....

Good news on the tourism front (except for environmentalists perhaps) but some questions:
    1.when Bartlett says 18,000 rooms in 5 years and this or that proposed resort has 5000 or 6000 rooms... are those bedrooms? I doubt it... looking at the EIA for the proposed Negril resort for example... it seems that in the 6000 rooms they included other than bedrooms.

2. Is the Tiger Woods brand coming to Jamaica? Tavistock already has developments branded by him in the Bahamas so that may be a clue re what Bartlett hints at.

3. These projects were all in the pipeline or are extensions of previously
    announced proposals... is there anything entirely new that he has initiated?

Jamaica to Benefit from Multi-Billion Hotel Projects

KINGSTON (JIS):
    Saturday, May 17, 2008

Minister of Tourism, Hon. Edmund Bartlett
    Jamaica's tourism product is to benefit from more than 18,000 additional hotel rooms, which will be developed from multi-billion dollar projects to be undertaken over the next five years.

Tourism Minister, Edmund Bartlett, making his presentation in the 2008/09 Sectoral Debate in Gordon House on Wednesday (May 14), said that the expansion of the room count was expected to commence with an additional 3,000 to bring the current number up to 30,000. Of this number, he said, 1,350 would be developed in Montego Bay, and 950 in Hanover.

Among the projects underpinning this expansion is the Palmyra development in Montego Bay, which he said is scheduled to come on stream later this year with 843 rooms. Mr. Bartlett told the House that the developers will also be undertaking an "iconic product" called Celebration Jamaica, a $2.1 billion development comprising 2,000 rooms at the "high end", and providing "enriched experiences from entertainment, to fine dining, to gaming."

"We are excited about that development," the Minister said, noting that it will not only be bringing new dimensions in terms of boutiques, spas, golf courses, fine dining, tennis, and entertainment, but it will also be providing 12,000 new jobs in the Montego Bay area with the potential to provide some $13 billion of revenue on an annual basis to the country.

Another major project, he informed, is the $100 million Royal Plantation development in Portland, which Mr. Bartlett said, was a six-diamond 165 all-suite hotel "never before seen in Jamaica and the Caribbean."

The Minister explained that the development was expected to "attract the kind of price points that will put Jamaica at the top of the elegant high luxury properties in the world. He further advised that the designs for the development have already been completed, noting that the project would "redefine the entire landscape of Portland."

Mr. Bartlett informed the House that the developers of the Harmony Cove project in Trelawny had re-scoped their projections for the mixed-use resort, which would see 8,500 rooms being built, instead of the 6,000 initially planned. Additionally, he said the developers would be undertaking a development, which would make Jamaica a "golf destination of great repute."

"I am not at liberty to announce as yet the particular brand, but I want to tell Jamaica that when we hear which of the great icons of golf will be putting their name against that facility, believe me, it will drive Jamaica in a new dimension in terms of destinations in the world. We are expecting that this project will start in 2009 and should be completed by 2012," Mr. Bartlett said.

Other developments, which are scheduled to come on stream include: the Amaterra in Trelawny and the Negril Peninsula, which will each provide some 6,000 new rooms; Secrets, in Montego Bay, providing 700 new rooms; and Royal Decameron, also in the second city, which will see expansion of the existing property; as well as the new Holland Bay development in St. Thomas.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

In tourism term a room is a bedroom.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Before yuh try yuh luck wid di room ting.. mek sure yuh grasp the basics such as the 'Storey' concept.

Another glutton for punishment.

LOL !

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
        In tourism term a room is a bedroom.
        That's my point.

Bartlett is confused..... he's quoting room stats that include other than bedrooms.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
          That's my point.

Bartlett is confused..... he's quoting room stats that include other than bedrooms.
          Does it really matter. In any Hotel, habitable rooms will be the VAST majority of rooms, otherwise they are on a money losing path. In these cases of say 2,000 rooms, maybet 98% will be guest rooms...leaving 40 other rooms for common areas, offices and facilities rooms. What then would be the diff between saying 2,000 rooms or 1,950 rooms? (The numbers are just for illustrative purposes). Indeed, the 2,000 rooms is valid for construction jobs.

Comment

You clearly do not understand the concept of propoganda.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
              Does it really matter. In any Hotel, habitable rooms will be the VAST majority of rooms, otherwise they are on a money losing path. In these cases of say 2,000 rooms, maybet 98% will be guest rooms...leaving 40 other rooms for common areas, offices and facilities rooms. What then would be the diff between saying 2,000 rooms or 1,950 rooms? (The numbers are just for illustrative purposes). Indeed, the 2,000 rooms is valid for construction jobs.
              I agree with your point but......

I'm being a little technical here.

It may be misleading if Bartlett pronounces that 18,000 hotel rooms are being built when in fact only say 12,000 are intended for accommodation...

I'm not claiming any intent on his part to mislead.... just want to be clear on the "actual" projected addition to the room inventory.

The Negril Peninsula development for example.... a claim of what 6000 rooms? Probably half that will be bedrooms... the EIA states 1200 or so dwelling units including condos and apartments.... guesstimate average 3 bedrooms/unit (high) = 3600 rooms

http://www.nepa.gov.jm/eias/Pages/07_eia.asp

respek
              Last edited by Don1; May 19, 2008, 05:02 PM.

Comment

LOL !!!

Getting more and more surreal..

This beats the "stories" ting by a mile !

WOIIIIEEEE !!

Man announce 18,000 new rooms and certain people want to know what kind of rooms...

Stap please ! LOL !!

Show me the eediat that builds a hotel where only 2/3 of the rooms are for accomodation purposes.

LOL !! WHOEEEEEE !!

Comment

Suh genius.. what will the other half be ?

Since yuh guess 1/2 will be bedrooms.. what di oddah half comprise of ?

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                    LOL !!!

Getting more and more surreal..

This beats the "stories" ting by a mile !

WOIIIIEEEE !!

Man announce 18,000 new rooms and certain people want to know what kind of rooms...

Stap please ! LOL !!

Show me the eediat that builds a hotel where only 2/3 of the rooms are for accomodation purposes.

LOL !! WHOEEEEEE !!
                    --sigh--

Comment

Hotel Mogul. what di oddah 50% of di rooms are ?

This should be good...

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                        Suh genius.. what will the other half be ?

Since yuh guess 1/2 will be bedrooms.. what di oddah half comprise of ?
                        I never claimed genius status but thanks for the recognition.

Genius to fool.... "Kingston, we have a problem"
                        I should be considerate... you are not responsible for the breech birth brain bash you suffered.

The other half:
                        The Negril resort I referenced will primarily be comprised of condos, apartments and villas.

Condos/Apartments and villas typically have living rooms, dining rooms, kitchens and bathrooms.... easily providing half and probably more of the rooms in the proposed resort dwelling units.
                        Surely even you are aware of that good school boy... I even posted a link to the EIA which describes the project.

No doubt you will ignore the plain facts and post some other inanity... as is your wont.... make my day breech boy.
                        Last edited by Don1; May 20, 2008, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                          many of the planned resorts will not be strictly the typical stand alone hotels but condo hotels, apartments and villa developments.... hence the excessive and potentially misleading room count.

Comment

Now that you have given me all the rope I need to hang you.. let me leave you dangling for a bit..

Is the proposal indicating number of rooms or number of HABITABLE ROOMS ?

"Tony, I do believe the umpires will have to bring in a new ball.. this is really sad, this reminds me of the time that Chris Gayle made that english bowler cry.."

Your arrogance is exceeded only by your ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                              many of the planned resorts will not be strictly the typical stand alone hotels but condo hotels, apartments and villa developments.... hence the excessive and potentially misleading room count.
                              In a sense it is NOT misleading. A hotel room is for 1 or 2 heads normally. A condo, villa or a suite will pack in more people than a hotel room and the average headcount will be nearly the same. Strictly speeking its the headcount that we are interested in, as that is a better surrogate of potential earnings.

Comment

Working...
                              X