RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From the greatest track country (per capita)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the greatest track country (per capita)

Wow - Is this the best that we can do for our the nursery of our future track stars. A field of barefoot runners?

We need a sports tax and the tax should be used to support every national meet!

Kingston win Blue Cross Champs by a point

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Christopher Brown of Annotto Bay All-Age (right), leads a field of barefooted runners to the finish line in the boys Under-11 4x100m relay in the Blue Cross/JTA National Primary, All-Age and Junior High School Athletic Championships at the National Stadium yesterday. (Photo: Lionel Rookwood)
    RECORDS tumbled as Kingston won by one point to capture their first title of the Jamaica Teacher's Association (JTA)/Blue Cross National Primary, All-Age and Junior High Athletics Championships at the National Stadium yesterday.
    Kingston had to stave off a stiff challenge from defending champions Portland in the final race of the Championships, the boys' sprint medley open before being crowned champions - scoring 262 points to Portland's 261 points.
    Portland needed to at least finished first or second in the boys sprint medley to retain their crown, but only managed third with Kingston finishing fourth. The overall combined scores before the boys sprint medley had Kingston leading with 255 points ahead of Portland on 252 points.
    It was a ding-dong duel between Kingston and Portland throughout the two-day championships, but after Kingston assumed the lead on day one (Thursday), they maintained the lead despite Portland's spirited effort.
    The other teams finishing in the top ten are Manchester (243 points), St Elizabeth (223.50), St Andrew (218), St Catherine (171), St Ann (163), St Mary (157), Clarendon (99) and Trelawny (88.50).
    A total of seven records were broken over the two-day Championships with Kejon Bonnick settting a new Under-13 boys 400 metres record with a time of 58.95 seconds to erase the previous best 59.97 set in 2005 by Jaynard Carter.
    Kevon Rattray of St Catherine was in sparkling form again when he outclassed the field to win the boys Under-13 200m final in a record time of 24.79 in breaking the old mark of 24.96 set in 2005 by Rolando Reid of Manchester.
    St Andrew broke the old mark of 51.26 seconds set by Portland in 2004 with a new time of 51.17 in the Under-15 Girls 4x100 metres relay final.

Clarendon erased the Girls Under-11 4x100m record by posting a new time of 56.13 seconds in the final. St Thomas held the old mark of 56.31 set in 2004.
    St Mary won the boys Under-9 4x100m final and in the process set a new time of 59.30 to break the old mark of 59.45 set last year by St Mary.
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

So where were the kids from outside the corporate area housed over the two days?

I seems that some money must have been spent.

My experience with young runners (I'm not a coach) is that they prefer to run barefoot. I have no idea whether it's good or bad for them at this age. BTW You remember Zola Budd?

pr
    Peter R

Comment

Peter is not that they love to run barefoot, it is all they know all their lives. Most of these kids from the rural parishes have very worn a spikes and to run it at the biggest meet in their life will only make it worst for them. Hopefully the talent can be seen and they can be trained to run in spikes.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying my point.

I lived with my grandparents in the country for a few years and attended New Green Primary School , Manchester. Most of the kids came to school barefooted, some walking three miles or more to get to school. Putting on any kind of shoes was uncomfortable for these kids but they eventually had to, to attend High School.

The question is though, for a young runner is it damaging to their development to run barefoot? or does it make any difference at this stage?

pr
        Peter R

Comment

In most of of the all age school in Portland and St. Mary for instance you may only find like the top runner 3 runners in grade nine may have a pair of spikes, and maybe class below get a borrows but the borrows may not fit.

In most cases they are running on grass track which shouldn't really be such a problem physically(my opinion) but they develop bad habits and perform slower than they would if trained in spikes.

Despite the performance there is a big problem with sports in these schools. There are no football competition, they don't have proper cricket gears and no athletics training tools. What is more dangerous is the coaches are just "man teachers" who may never even have played any sport and these coaches get no supervision or training in the sports they are coaching. They just do it as a labour of love without additional pay.

Many of the coaches have no idea how to do different training.

I assume it the same way in many rural parishes.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

We have the two fastest human beings ever. I wouldn't worry about it. I think too much American sensibilities are being factored into this situation.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              In most cases they are running on grass track which shouldn't really be such a problem physically(my opinion) but they develop bad habits and perform slower than they would if trained in spikes.
              The runners develop habits to fit the type track (grass/dirt/dirt with stones, etc.) and weather conditions...and if in the excitement of the race extra effort is made and the 'wheels' slip (i.e. leg does not receive firm grip) toes, muscles, etc... often get injuried...at such times the runners may also fall and 'get bruse-up'
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Mosiah it is not just American, it is first world. England, Germany, Russia and other country have the same idea as well.

We had Englist teachers at Titchfield who teach sports and they also think students do better in spikes at early age.

Comment

Peter is not that they love to run barefoot, it is all they know all their lives. Most of these kids from the rural parishes have very worn a spikes and to run it at the biggest meet in their life will only make it worst for them. Hopefully the talent can be seen and they can be trained to run in spikes.

Yes - If they practice barefeet then it would not make sense to give them spikes at the meet. What I would like to see is proper equipement support from day 1.

I hope that at the very least, they organizers can afford to give each winner a pair of spikes as a prize
                  The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Yes - If they practice barefeet then it would not make sense to give them spikes at the meet. What I would like to see is proper equipement support from day 1.

I hope that at the very least, they organizers can afford to give each winner a pair of spikes as a prize

Comment

We had Englist teachers at Titchfield who teach sports and they also think students do better in spikes at early age.
                      Kinda says it all, huh.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                      X