Hot off the press ie the Daily Tampon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot off the press ie the Daily Tampon

Lesson .... should have gone to Sandals. LOL!!

Why I walked away from RIU Ocho Rios

Friday, May 16, 2008

Dear Editor,

With all the controversy surrounding RIU in Jamaica currently, I feel compelled to share my recent experience at RIU in Ocho Rios. One should never be fooled by their misguided tagline, "We're all about you", as nothing could be further from the truth.

Imagine, after driving an hour and a half from Montego Bay with my family who were visiting from Florida (some of whom were visitors to the island) and excited about spending the day at RIU, we had to wait half an hour for credit-card payments to be processed to purchase day passes to access the facility, only to be told by the front desk supervisor (a Jamaican man) that there was a problem with the telephone line, and so the credit card machine was unable to process the payments.

In the interest of time, we suggested that they call in the transactions for authorisation at the respective credit card call centres. This was quickly dismissed by the hotel representative who suggested that we withdraw the required funds from an ABM they had on property, knowing full well that this action would attract myriad service charges.

At this point, we asked for the front-desk manager (a Spanish woman) in the hope of quickly resolving the matter and moving on to enjoying the beautiful day. Much to our dismay, we were advised by the manager in a most condescending tone and manner that they could not allow us access to the property as it was not their problem that the credit card payments were not being processed. She maintained that the problem resided with the telecommunications provider, thereby washing their hands of offering any sort of basic customer service response.

Puzzled, we inquired why they were not trying to offer us a reasonable solution to sort out the simple matter of buying a few day passes for their property. Again, the manager reiterated that it was not their problem that the machines were not functioning, and then they had the audacity to suggest that perhaps we could walk to the nearest ATM outside of their property to obtain the cash. The manager maintained quite smugly that there was nothing she could do.

Appalled at the abhorrent customer service from the managerial level, we decided that as a matter of principle we would leave and not bother to source the cash to pay for the day passes. We would not pay for blatant rudeness. So we left rather disgruntled and feeling that we had suffered a great injustice.

Apart from being annoyed, being Jamaican I was embarrassed that my guests and visitors to the island were treated with such disregard at a resort purporting to be a wonderful retreat for tourists. The sad part about this entire experience is that the visitors will forever remember their bad trip to Jamaica. RIU might not be at the forefront of their minds, but rather what happened at a hotel in Jamaica during their vacation.

If these foreign entities don't embrace the standards, ideals and pride that we as Jamaicans have for our tourism product, I believe that they shouldn't be allowed to set up and continue operations in our treasured island.

S J Burton
    Montego Bay
    St James
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

This is a signed letter.

Who is rushing to be judge, jury and executioner now? LoL

Comment

I would hope that this kind of customer service is NOT indicative of the general level of service in the industry. Maybe because Burton is Jamaican he/she get the brush off? I would hate to think so.

RUI could have offered the passes less the service charge of the ATM seeing that it wasn't the customer's fault either. I wonder what they would have done for a resident customer who had to check out with a taxi waiting to go to the airport?

pr
      Peter R

Comment

At some place it is bad. I was reading some customer reports from a few hotels and that was the number one problem. The guest normally have a good time after checking but it is either the check or check out process that is a problem.

I know they have HEART training students in front office proceedures as I am a past graduate and the JTB have a training program for people working in those hotels. Part of the problem with check in is sometimes the room is not ready as plane delay or not enough staff to make the bed in time but what ever the case these hotels have to do better.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

????

Originally posted by Willi View Post
          This is a signed letter.

Who is rushing to be judge, jury and executioner now? LoL
          what did I judge, try or execute?

My only comment was that they should have tried Sandals.

Your response does not compute.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

You KNOW what I am talking about.

Telling me that I am rushing to judgement...well I say the same to you.

Comment

Well I think this could have happened anywhere and should not happen at all. I have had a wonderful time a Rui Negril and at Sandals. I have seen things at both that could be done better but that comes down to individuals people skills and I think this letter would have been better forwarded to management of Rui.

Comment

I am suppose to be going to a wedding at Riu Negril next month. Can't wait to patronize our Spanish friends!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Agreed, however...Don and I were actually talking about a related issue.

I was questioning his consistency.

Comment

No one can argue Don1 consistency in his propoganda.

Comment

¡Buena suerte!
                      Pedro R
                      Peter R

Comment

Consistency in rushing to judgement.

Comment

Wi expose dat fraud long time.

Comment

!Gracias! (work with the non-inverted exclamation mark, please!)

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                              You KNOW what I am talking about.

Telling me that I am rushing to judgement...well I say the same to you.
                              No disrespect Willi but I said you rushed to judgment because you stated that you wanted to see someone (implied to be a Spaniard) responsible for corrupting our approval process to be imprisoned. You were definitive about the matter implying that your mind was made up about the issue and the next stop should be prison.

I suggested that we wait for investigation, indictment etc and stated that you were rushing to judgment on the issue. I don't see where mine is an unreasonable statement.

In posting that supposed letter to the Daily Tampon my only statement was that they should have tried Sandals.
                              How is that rushing to judgment when there is no judgment expressed?

Comment

Working...
                              X