• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now Vaz files appeal in dual citizenship saga

Now Vaz files appeal in dual citizenship saga
    PAUL HENRY, Observer staff reporter editorial@jamaicaobserver.com
    Friday, May 16, 2008

JUNIOR minister Daryl Vaz yesterday filed an appeal against Chief Justice Zaila McCalla's decision to disqualify him as member of parliament for the West Portland constituency last month.

According to documents filed in the Court of Appeal, Vaz is contending that Justice McCalla erred in ruling that his applying for and travelling on his US passport was reason for disqualification, among other things.

Vaz, who has harshly criticised the People's National Party's Abe Dabdoub for continuing legal actions to take the seat instead of facing a court-ordered by-election, said that his decision to file the appeal was strategic.

He told the Observer that his appeal would allow him to contest, on Tuesday, Dabdoub's expected request for an extension of the original 42-day stay of execution granted by the chief justice, pending Dabdoub's appeal. He said, too, that his filing for an appeal would allow him to also apply for a stay of the disqualification order, pending his own appeal, so that he could remain the representative of West Portland.

"My action is as a result of his [Dabdoub's] action," said Vaz. "I have no further interest in court action. My action is to protect the constituency of West Portland because if Dabdoub is successful in obtaining an extension of the [stay] the constituency would be without a representative in Parliament until his appeal is heard. and this could take a long time."

"If I'm successful [in contesting Dabdoub's stay of execution] then there would be no further court action, as a by-election would have to be held," Vaz added.

Vaz's appeal comes a day after Dabdoub on Wednesday filed his appeal against Justice McCalla's ruling on April 11 in which she refused to hand him the constituency following Vaz's disqualification.

Dabdoub, contending that Vaz was not qualified to sit as a member of the House of Representative because of his allegiance to the US, brought action in the Supreme Court following his defeat by Vaz during last September's general election.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Certified jackass! Then what was the diatribe about green card holders the other day about?

Sass, Portland deserves better than the two of these clowns, Vaz and Dabdoub. If yuh never have yuh passport mi woulda encourage yuh fi run.

Still, I hope Dabdoub gets to replace Vaz in that constituency. He deserves it since Vaz disqualified himself. There should be no by-election.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

actually...i'm no fan of vaz but i agree with him filing an application for the strategic reasons stated. it is the prudent thing to do.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

One of his reasons for filing the appeal was, listen to this and make sure you are seated - there is a worldwide trend for persons to seek dual citizenship.

No joke!

That obviously is not one of the points to which you are ascribing some merit, is it gamma?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
          actually...i'm no fan of vaz but i agree with him filing an application for the strategic reasons stated. it is the prudent thing to do.
          Actually Vaz gets my vote on this. It is clear that it is a bailout for Brucie's silly showing of his contempt of the voters. Vaz has saved Brucie's having to eat his words or call a 'snap election'.

Brucie's: Over my dead body or some such nonsense about any one entering Parliament....(or whatever it was Brucie's actual words were)
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

no...but it gets him in the door and gets him heard and THAT is the big picture!

no-one expects that to be an argument that will even be entertained by the panel!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

okay. i guess with vaz, it doesn't matter if he looks stupid in yet another arena.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Who yuh woulda rather guh camping wid:

Vaz or James Robertson ?

Comment

Camping? With...yuh mad!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                  X