Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosiah, Bartlett does NOT agree with me on Spanish value add

'It's mischief'
    Bartlett dismisses report that Spanish hotel investors concerned about investment climate

ALICIA DUNKLEY, Observer staff reporter
    dunkleya@jamaicaobserver.com
    Friday, May 16, 2008

TOURISM Minister Edmund Bartlett has dismissed a news report that Spanish investors Grupo Excelencias have delayed plans to construct a hotel here, while major hoteliers Barcelo and Sol Melia have gone elsewhere because of the investment climate.

"It smacked of mischief," Bartlett told Parliament during his contribution to the 2008/09 Sectoral Debate in Gordon House on Wednesday.
    ".I spoke with Grupo Excelencias, I had lunch with them on Sunday and the report was not that they are leaving Jamaica.

"The report that was given to me as minister was that they are rescoping the development towards the top end of the market, and they have been in consultation with the tour operators who have advised that they should commence their operation in 2009," Bartlett told parliamentarians.

"That's a different thing altogether from inferring that the investment climate in Jamaica is not conducive to development and the Government of Jamaica don't like Spanish investors; I want to deal with the propoganda because it's mischief," the tourism minister said.

With respect to Spanish chain Barcelo Hotels and Resorts, Bartlett said indications were that the group would be going ahead with its plans to invest US$1 billion in Jamaica.

"The president of Barcelo sat with me and we discussed their coming to Jamaica; that was three weeks ago and he did not say 'we're not coming to Jamaica'; he reassured us that they will be coming and that Jamaica is definitely an area they will be investing in," Bartlett said.

The minister said discussions with the Sol Melia chain were, however, yet to be finalised.
    "It is I who brought the president of Sol Melia here... He wanted a certain type of beach and situation which he did not see at the time and it doesn't mean he will never invest in Jamaica; it only means the place I am going to recommend to him I have not taken him yet.
    "It's going to be somewhere on the western side of Jamaica," Bartlett told the House.

In the meantime, Bartlett sought to put to rest the perception that the government was against Spanish investors.
    "I want the point to be made and understood that this government supports investment and investors. We insist that our laws are sacrosanct, we insist that our regulations must be respected and we ensure that our partners understand what their obligations are and that we must put into place the mechanisms to ensure that they can deliver on their commitment to us," he said.

Said the minister: "I am as bullish about protecting the foreign investor whether they be Spanish or English or French as I am bullish about protecting our local investors who have equal rights to investments in this country. It's not either or either, it's both because we need everyone. The more investments we get in Jamaica is the more earnings we have."

According to Bartlett, the Spanish investors have added great value to the local tourism product.
    Last edited by Karl; May 16, 2008, 09:32 AM.

Originally posted by Willi View Post
    "That's a different thing altogether from inferring that the investment climate in Jamaica is not conducive to development and the Government of Jamaica don't like Spanish investors; I want to deal with the propoganda because it's mischief," the tourism minister said.

The biggest blot on the investment clmate is crime. Eradicate it or minimize it and JA has a chance ...
    pr
    Peter R

Comment

Working...
    X