• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Stripe still drink sponsors of Sumfest

Is the boycott still on? Idiots!

Sumfest on course

Sadeke Brooks, STAR Writer

Mavado will also perfom at Sumfest from which Red Stripe withdrew sponsorship last month. The drink company will remain 'drink sponsors' of the event, however.
    Despite Red Stripe not being on board as title sponsors this year, Reggae Sumfest is still on course as it has already signed several big acts to its line-up.
    Speaking to The STAR on Monday, Robert Russell, chairman of Summerfest Productions, disclosed that several big local acts have already been signed or scheduled for signing this week for the event that will take place in Montego Bay from July 13-19.
    Top artistes

Vybz Kartel (left) and Beenie Man are slated to perfom on Sumfest, which will go on beyond the 2 a.m. lockoff time. - File photos
    Some of the artistes include Beenie Man, Richie Spice, Anthony B, Vybz Kartel, Wayne Marshall, Etana, Tarrus Riley, Demarco and Mavado. Russell says the production team is in negotiations with several other local and international acts.
    "We hope to offer the usual top-class entertainment package with all the best entertainers locally and some special overseas acts," said Russell.
    "We will still ensure the same level of state-of-the-art lighting, sound and stage production that have characterised Sumfest."
    While the Red Stripe brand has pulled out as title sponsors for the event, it is still the liquor sponsor. He says there are two major companies vying for title sponsorship but the discussions have not been concluded. He says discussions might not be completed in time for this year as the event will take place in two months but commitments have been made for years to come.
    In addition, Digicel, Ocean Spray and Air Jamaica, the Jamaica Tourist Board and VP Records have once again signed on as major sponsors of the event. Supreme Ventures has signed as a Silver sponsor, Red Bull a Gold sponsor, and Jamrock Magazine is a Platinum sponsor.
    Russell was also keen to point out that sponsors play a big role but the production team, especially the directors, helps to make the festival 'the greatest reggae show on earth'.
    Reggae Sumfest and Summerfest Productions won Concert of the Year and Promoter of the Year awards at the 27th Annual International Reggae and World Music Awards on May 4. Russell says the production team is proud of the achievements.
    "I am very proud that we have received international recognition for a show that has been running since 1993. I want to thank the directors, artistes, musicians and security forces that put a lot of effort into putting on the show. Everybody worked hard to ensure that the festival is a success," he said.
    National festival

The brain trust behind Reggae Sumfest Johnny Gourzong (left) and Robert Russell
    Russell promises that the event will be a good one. It has been afforded the privilege of going beyond 2 a.m. because it has been designated as an national festival. This status, he says, might be the same for other events like Air Jamaica Jazz and Blues Festival and Jamaica Carnival. "We have been designated as an national festival. That consideration is because of the amount of foreign visitors we attract. That is about 5,000 visitors and US$5 million in revenue. So we have been afforded the privilege of going later than 2 a.m. We will close the festival at the normal times," he said.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

I thought Red Stripe killed Reggae ?

Comment

"...which will go beyond the 2:00 am lockoff time".

That's the only portion of the article that caught my eye.

I don't know if the reason was stated in the piece...

Jamaica is a lawless country where anything goes.

SIDEBAR:

The pulling out of the Spanish investors from building resorts --also shows the midget-like intelligence of the leadership class in Jamaica. There are no adherence to set standards.
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

I thought reggae was going to kill Red Stripe?
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

heh heh!

let's not mix up duncehall with reggae, doh.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

And here I am thinking you were a duncehall jock

HL

Comment

So who are the new sponsors?

pr
              Peter R

Comment

Hells no! But I do love dancehall music tho. Not going to surprise yuh too much!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

So the broadside , dun dat quick ?
                  THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Is you have di triggah fingah..

Comment

as long you reconcile the midget brain with "no adherence to set standards" yuh cool....

it seems to me that, for a change, there was a demand that standards be adhered to.... and as willi points out you do want to discourage those who would want to operate in a slipshod way, which seems to have been the way for doing business for a long time!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Yuh neva know ?
                        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Red Stripe isn't real, Reggae is.
                          To think that....

Blessed

Comment

I think the authorities will miss an important opportunity to set the precedence using a concert of this size (an sort) to implement their lock-off time.

HL

Comment

Red Stripe deh yah from before Reggae.

Comment

Working...
                              X