Bad cops must go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad cops must go!

SENATOR Trevor Norman Neville MacMillan was sworn-in as minister of national security yesterday and immediately warned bad cops in the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) to leave of their own accord or be made to leave.
    "The police force of Jamaica has a lot of good people, honest hardworking people. It also has a few bad eggs. And I am today asking the few bad eggs to stand up and move out, or let the good people get rid of them." the new minister declared.
    MacMillan's tough talk was made to journalists covering his brief swearing-in ceremony which was attended by Cabinet colleagues and his family at King's House in St Andrew, and appeared aimed at winning public confidence by signalling that he plans to be a no-nonsense security minister.
    He also said that he would pursue social intervention in crime-ridden communities as a key component of ministry policy, which would mark a continuation of the policy direction of the previous government.
    ".I will be working very hard on social intervention. The social implication of this thing is so great, and therefore, we cannot not do social intervention," he said.
    MacMillan used the opportunity to pay tribute to former People's National Party security minister, Dr Peter Phillips who, he said, had begun to implement social programmes in vulnerable communities.
    Phillips was quoted earlier as saying MacMillan's appointment betrayed panic on the part of the government and that former security minister, Derrick Smith was used as a scapegoat.
    In apparent response to the criticisms, Prime Minister Bruce Golding said his decision to relieve Smith of the portfolio responsibility was not an indictment on Smith.
    "The appointment of Colonel MacMillan is in no way an indictment on the part of Derrick Smith. It could not be, because Derrick had only been in the position for eighth months, too short for this to be an indictment.," Golding said.
    Smith, who was absent from yesterday's ceremony due to his recovery from minor surgery, will remain in the Cabinet, as the minister of mining and telecommunications. Clive Mullings who previously held the portfolio as well as energy, was noticeably absent yesterday.
    A retired Jamaica Defence Force (JDF) colonel, MacMillan served as police commissioner between 1993-1996, a controversial period in which he was dogged by disquiet among the ranks who regarded him as an outsider, but during which he enjoyed high public confidence.
    Hoping to head off similar disquiet, the new minister left King's House straight for the Police Officers Club nearby to meet with senior police officers.
    He stressed to the newsmen at King's House that he believed the majority of the force to be honest men and women.
    "The majority of policemen and women are good hardworking people. Honest people. There is a small number of dishonest people, and it is my intention to motivate the good ones." he said, indicating that he would be promoting house-cleaning by encouraging cops to use the Whistleblower Laws to protect those who expose corruption.
    According to MacMillan, crucial to the success of the crime initiatives would be adequate resources. "The most important thing that I can do is to make sure that the security forces have the resources that they need. Remember I am not involved in operations. So I have to make sure that that happens.," he added.
    He said the magnitude of the current task warranted strong social intervention to cage some of the 'animals walking around with guns'. "There are some animals out there and they have to be caged. The problem of national security now, is not a (political) party problem, it is a national problem. I am representing Jamaica and anything I do it will be for Jamaica." MacMillan said.
    He promised to get as wide a perspective as possible on the types of intervention that were required.
    The new minister commended policemen and policewomen, saying they were working under deplorable conditions but maintained a high quality of work. He expressed sympathy to the families of policemen and women killed in the line of duty.
    But mindful of the human rights groups, the minister also promised to respect the rights of criminals. "I am a charter member of Jamaicans for Justice and I believe in the human rights, even the human rights of a gunman is something that one has to respect. But the fact of life is that the police have a massive job to do..."
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Well, "Super Cop" Renato Adams said that MacMillan has joined the cartel that want to dictate to the police what to do, preventing them (the police) from using their conscience.
    Last edited by Lazie; May 14, 2008, 08:34 AM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
    X