• Show
Clear All

You and Sharon Hay-Webster. Great!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I think so !

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
        Since when is a basement counted as a storey ?

aah bwoy... Rear Admiral you are quite tiresome....you have done much internet searching on the topic and posted extensively..... no one has tried to refute the TECHNICALITY of counting a basement as a storey since your great research. I myself posted a piece supporting that technicality.

Congratulations on your proficiency with search engines!!

The question is in the realm of convention or "commonly accepted practice" as I termed it initially.

It is incontrovertible that the everyday convention is not to count a basement as a storey.... that term being reserved for levels above ground.... I'm sure that common usage is one you observed and will continue to observe... except on this forum perhaps.

Get to the bottom line Rear Admiral... that's your specialty isn't it?
        Last edited by Don1; May 8, 2008, 07:13 PM.
        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Hmmm...not an Hingineer or Harchitech but I'd say ground floor, first floor and 2nd floor for those ABOVE ground. Those below...hmm....is this a building in Austria?

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
            Hmmm...not an Hingineer or Harchitech but I'd say ground floor, first floor and 2nd floor for those ABOVE ground. Those below...hmm....is this a building in Austria?

We are dealing with a Rear Admiral here!

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Interesting theory, unfortunately the quantity of data out there involving announcements of Hotel Developments that clearly state first the number of stories then the descriptives fly in the face of your theory regarding 'commonly accepted practice'

Further, the treatment of the situation regarding RUI can hardly be described as casual in nature certainly when the matter of contention is an undeclared basement.

But rather than admit your error you attempt to obfuscate and create your own concept of 'commonly accepted practise'.

The irony is you exposed your ignorance of convention in an attempt to ridicule and article. You were caught focusing on the messenger rather than the message.

Comment

No one is debating which floor is the first floor.

Another weapon of mass distraction... a poor one at that.

Comment

Interesting theory, unfortunately the quantity of data out there involving announcements of Hotel Developments that clearly state first the number of stories then the descriptives fly in the face of your theory regarding 'commonly accepted practice'

Further, the treatment of the situation regarding RUI can hardly be described as casual in nature certainly when the matter of contention is an undeclared basement.

But rather than admit your error you attempt to obfuscate and create your own concept of 'commonly accepted practise'.

The irony is you exposed your ignorance of convention in an attempt to ridicule and article. You were caught focusing on the messenger rather than the message.

You are ignorant the meaning of the word convention in this context Rear Admiral.

Let me help you backward one (heh, heh) :

Convention- General agreement on or acceptance of certain practices or attitudes

or - A practice or procedure widely observed in a group, especially to facilitate social interaction;

In other words Rear Admiral- commonly accepted practice... get it?

This should be simple enough for even you to understand......... naaaahh... you'll continue to avoid the issue of convention and what it means.

Clearly, the convention AKA the commonly accepted practice is NOT to count subterranean structures as storeys.

You could pontificate 'til you're blue in the face (and probably would) but that won't change either the convention or the fact that your argument is quite silly.

Any answer for the simple question?

I guess not.

Comment

Whichever floor you (the owner) designate as the first floor.

Comment

does a building with 20 stories have a 13th floor?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

No one is debating which floor is the first floor.

Another weapon of mass distraction... a poor one at that.
                        So you admit that the ground floor is the first floor.... is that correct Rear Admiral?

If this is true, why is the ground floor regarded as the first floor/storey? Especially when there are storeys/floors beneath it?

Could it be that it is the convention to so regard the ground floor as the first floor or first storey because subterranean levels are not regarded as storeys in the common usage of the term?

Your honour ... I rest my case.

Comment

some have mezzanine, then lobby, then 1st.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                            does a building with 20 stories have a 13th floor?
                            of course... it just may not be so named

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                              some have mezzanine, then lobby, then 1st.....
                              I described a simple structure with 3 storeys above ground and 3 levels below.
                              Let's discount those possibilities you bring up.

Which is the first floor or first storey? (assuming US conventions).

Is there any instance of the lowest level basement floor being regarded as the first floor?

Comment

don't know what the conventions are but i cannot honestly say i recall any instance where the basement was referred to as the first floor. having said that however, the term 1st floor seems to be a designation e.g. where the 13th floor is referred to as the 14th floor or some other referenceor where there is a lobby, mezzanine etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X