Women lash dual citizenship flaws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women lash dual citizenship flaws

THE dual citizenship restriction that forced Daryl Vaz to renounce his United States citizenship and Danville Walker to resign his position as director of elections, was roundly condemned yesterday as "archaic and insulting".

Some of Jamaica's leading women in business lashed out strongly against the constitutional provision that disqualifies those holding a foreign passport and having dual citizenship from serving in certain key public offices.

The women, who attended a special luncheon hosted by Observer chairman Gordon 'Butch' Stewart at the Observer's Beechwood Avenue offices yesterday, called the laws an insult to those who had dual citizenship who wanted, and had the training, to give back to their country.

"When we were in the States, we were encouraged to get our citizenship so we could vote. Then we were encouraged to come home and contribute, and when you do, they tell you that you can't," complained Audrey Hinchcliffe, the current Jamaica Employers Federation (JEF) president.

Hinchcliffe, who admitted to holding US citizenship, said: "At no time were we told that there was a law (against dual citizenship). It's an insult to us who have contributed and who come back here trying to make a contribution... to come back here and hear this."

Stewart, who has been hosting a series of similar luncheons providing an outlet for various sectors of the Jamaican society to air their issues, used the opportunity to announce an annual event celebrating the "Most Influential Women in Jamaica", akin to the highly successful Business Leader Awards.

The hotel mogul said the event would single out "the women who have been working to transform the country and their communities, and the women who understand that their journey in life should not be self-serving, but should be dedicated to serving others".

"We want to highlight the women, from all parishes, who have touched lives, created hope and made an impact, the women who understand that being influential has less to do with position or title, or indeed random acts of kindness or charity, but from working towards a purpose and helping people gain meaning wherever they go," he said.

In the earlier discussion, Stewart paid tribute to Jamaican women whom he said could be relied on to speak up for what they believed in, irrespective of the cost.

Among the women in attendance were Thalia Lyn, CEO of Island Grill; Lorna Myers, CEO of Restaurants of Jamaica (Kentucky Fried Chicken); Audrey Marks, CEO of Paymaster; Becky Stockhausen, head of the American Chamber of Commerce; Minna Israel, managing director of RBTT; Yendi Phillips, Miss Jamaica (World) 2007; Naomi Francis of Nationwide Radio; Senator Dorothy Lightbourne, justice minister and attorney-general, and Pat Ramsay of the University of Technology (UTech).

The women commented on the dual citizenship issue and its repercussions for Jamaica, in light of the April 18 ruling that Vaz was not qualified to sit in the parliament, because of his allegiance to a foreign power, causing him to renounce his US citizenship; and Monday's resignation by Walker who chose to do that over renunciation.

Hinchcliffe argued that Vaz had erred and should have mounted a challenge instead of readily giving up his status.
    "I'm really resentful about the argument and I'm now seeing dual citizenship as a bad word. How can you be dual in one sense, and excluded in another sense," she asked.

The women were almost unanimously opposed to the clause in the constitution and urged the powers that be to review it. One woman wondered what future could the country have under such a law, when so many young Jamaicans were holders of dual citizenship, whether it be for the US, Canada or elsewhere.

"My concern is in 10 years' time; most of our kids will have (other) citizenships, what will happen to them?" RBTT's Israel asked.

"What will happen to the university kids in 10 years?" CEO of Seaboard Jamaica, Corah-Ann Robertson-Sylvester also added. "They will be prevented from taking certain jobs, because of a contradictory law."

The women also pointed to the irony of the constitution not affecting Green Card holders who have a residency stipulation (and must return to the US periodically); while it comes down hard on those who are sometimes merely passport holders who don't have to satisfy residency requirements.

It was a point raised Tuesday by Vaz, who urged MPs with US Resident Alien or Green Cards to declare that too, saying that they had a moral obligation to do so.

"We don't have the numbers of people with the skills to exclude those willing to serve, with an archaic legislation that's an insult," Hinchcliffe added. "That needs to be looked at."

For her part, environmentalist Diana McCaulay sided with the constitution in as much as it allows for public servants not to hold dual citizenship. Citing her personal case where she is the only one in her family to hold only a Jamaican passport, she said the struggles, which include visa issues, makes one more appreciative of the need to be fully dedicated to the country to which one has allegiance.
    Last edited by Karl; May 9, 2008, 07:51 AM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

these women are misguided by personal self-interests... what they fail to realise is they are not prohibited from holding dual citizenship... people with alliance to a foreign country just cannot hold a parliamentary position or certain executive government positions...

they reference the united states and in the united states they would not be qualified to hold certain low level positions without first being a citizen of the united states... secondly they would not be able to hold any representative positions in govt without being a citizen of the usa, ie., sole adherence to the united states... (got that from a state reprehensive here in massachusetts)... why should it be different for jamaica...
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

And they want us to take them seriously when their intellectual capacity is seriously challenged.

Hell, I remember when I was in the USA looking for a job, I came across so many that I didn't qualify for because of nationality. What's so hard to understand that some things require youto be a citizen of that country and only that country?!?

And is it just the women who have a problem? Pray say no! I know quite a few Jamaican men who just can't seem to understand the concept of sovereignty. Why single out our women?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

did any say if you a dual citizen you didn't qualify?
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
          One woman wondered what future could the country have under such a law, when so many young Jamaicans were holders of dual citizenship, whether it be for the US, Canada or elsewhere.
          "My concern is in 10 years' time; most of our kids will have (other) citizenships, what will happen to them?" RBTT's Israel asked.
          "What will happen to the university kids in 10 years?" CEO of Seaboard Jamaica, Corah-Ann Robertson-Sylvester also added.
          Nonsense! They and their uptown friends have dual citizenship. The vast majority of Jamaicans do not! Some Jamaicans feel Jamaica is Jacks Hill, Campion and New Kingston. Well, it ain't!

For her part, environmentalist Diana McCaulay sided with the constitution in as much as it allows for public servants not to hold dual citizenship. Citing her personal case where she is the only one in her family to hold only a Jamaican passport, she said the struggles, which include visa issues, makes one more appreciative of the need to be fully dedicated to the country to which one has allegiance.
          Whew! Thank goodness for Diana!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

America does not recognize dual citizenship.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              And they want us to take them seriously when their intellectual capacity is seriously challenged.

Hell, I remember when I was in the USA looking for a job, I came across so many that I didn't qualify for because of nationality. What's so hard to understand that some things require youto be a citizen of that country and only that country?!?

And is it just the women who have a problem? Pray say no! I know quite a few Jamaican men who just can't seem to understand the concept of sovereignty. Why single out our women?
              Comprehension problem Mosiah? What was the event that these ladies were giving their views? Suh how you come to the conclusion that the women are being singled out?

What people need to do is call a spade a spade. You hypocrites aren't keeping it real. Where is the uproar about those on the other side with dual citizenship?
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                America does not recognize dual citizenship.
                Suh now we gonna follow America? They have more than enough professionals to move their country forward .... we have Portia Simpson Miller as PM in waiting.

Comment

If the Sandals Newletter had any journalistic principles about it, it would have taken the time to seek the views of men in similar position. Yes, it was a function for women, but such a headline...yuh know what, mi tiyad a di nonsense.

Yes, mi have a comprehension problem. Not sure if I even comprehend what yuh aksin mi.

Duh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Who said anything about following America? Not comprehending.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Comprehension problem Mosiah? What was the event that these ladies were giving their views? Suh how you come to the conclusion that the women are being singled out?

What people need to do is call a spade a spade. You hypocrites aren't keeping it real. Where is the uproar about those on the other side with dual citizenship?
                      ok... keeping it real... it doesnt matter which side anybody is on... jlp or pnp or any other p, the constitution says if you hold allegiance to another country you cannot be in parliament...

do you have a problem with that lazie... what is your positon...
                      'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Baddaz, there is not a soul I know who is being partial in this issue. Lazie just like to talk crap. I have long stated my view on it and there is no need to repeat it.

Low Lazie and him hysterics.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

baddaz, in y humble opinion and limited experience women tend to care more about the comfort and well being of their familes....e.g. nesting instincts.

i wondered about, not so much the forum, but the highliting of the issue as being "women" and was curious about how that would be perceived.

truth is not only women share this point of view but i am intrigued that they brought this to the fore as a collective.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

LOL !!!

Yuh evah see di line outside of US Embassy ?

Why would uptown Jamaicans need US Citizenship more than any other 'class' ? Is who need to flee Jamaica more ? Rich man or poor man ?

I would advise you to THINK about this one before launching into another 'chimp on the shoulder' driven tirade.

Comment

Lazie might say yuh have a comprehension problem.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X