RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9 homes razed in Southside - what dem really want?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 homes razed in Southside - what dem really want?!?

9 homes razed in Southside
    'How much more we can take?' one resident criesKARYL WALKER, Crime/Court co-ordinator walkerk@jamaicaobserver.com
    Wednesday, May 07, 2008

A firefighter does the final cooling down on a tenement which was gutted by fire yesterday. The fire destroyed nine homes in the yard at the intersection of Barry and Higholborn streets in downtown Kingston. (Photo: Michael Gordon)
    Four year-old Annette appeared unaware of the magnitude of the destruction around her.
    The little girl, still wearing her school uniform, sat on a wash basin stuffed with clothes her mother managed to save from the fire that had just destroyed their home, and started doing her homework.
    Around her, adults frantically tried to salvage their belongings as firefighters doused smouldering boards that, up to mid-day yesterday, formed homes in a tenement at the intersection of Barry and Higholborn streets in downtown Kingston.
    The board apartment that Annette and her mother called home was one of nine that were completely destroyed by the blaze shortly after 1:00 pm.
    The community, known as Southside, has been under siege in recent weeks as rival gangs target each other's relatives.
    "First the man dem from over that side a kill we off, now the fire come burn out everything me and mi pickney dem own. How much more we can take?" a woman who gave her name only as 'Niceness', told the Observer.
    The valiant efforts of firefighters were not enough to save most of the items inside the houses as the fire ate away at the wooden structures and destroyed them in less than half-an-hour, residents said.
    "The fireman dem come in about 10 to 15 minutes. Dem try still, but the fire just race through the building like it a paper," one resident said.
    Most of the occupants have lost all their belongings, and one wondered aloud where to turn.
    "Big people and pickney only lef with the clothes pan dem back. It rough pan we inna the gulf," the woman said as tears streamed down her face.
    People's National Party member of parliament for Central Kingston, Ronald Thwaites, was on the scene early and collected the names of the displaced residents and promised to seek assistance.
    "I will be seeking the help of the various agencies to assist these unfortunate residents," Thwaites told the Observer. "These houses were originally built by Food For The Poor and I am hoping that they will assist the residents again."
    Southside is a traditional Jamaica Labour Party voting block and some residents took the opportunity to criticise Thwaites.
    "Mr Thwaites, how come when the man dem from Tel Aviv come and a kill we off we no see you, but as the fire bun you reach?" one woman asked.
    "I am here to help the residents and if they want me to leave I will be happy to go," Thwaites replied.
    "No, you can stay," the woman replied.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
    Southside is a traditional Jamaica Labour Party voting block and some residents took the opportunity to criticise Thwaites.
    "Mr Thwaites, how come when the man dem from Tel Aviv come and a kill we off we no see you, but as the fire bun you reach?" one woman asked.
    "I am here to help the residents and if they want me to leave I will be happy to go," Thwaites replied.
    "No, you can stay," the woman replied.

unnu sure now?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Dem nevah have Dyoll Insurance ?

Comment

A JLP insurrection Ben?

Comment

Suh Karl nevah tell yuh bout di JLP insurrectionists active in the last 18 years ?

Why yuh tink the murder rate was so high ?

Heh, heh.

Comment

Is this an example of people being terrified MO ?
            THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
              Suh Karl nevah tell yuh bout di JLP insurrectionists active in the last 18 years ?

Why yuh tink the murder rate was so high ?

Heh, heh.
              I get your point, but shouldn't you or someone like you infinform them that course change. ie we no longer have black man time so there is no longer any need for this. We done know say black man time was the cause so why is this still happenning? I know you are extremely perturbed what with the loss of life and all.

Comment

Yuh tink termite easy fi dead.. much less di black ants dem !

Comment

Is what an example?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                  X