No announcement yet.

Quote of the Year (to date)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Slurry wall is below grade and I'm not sure about it being used to protect from water. The use I know it for is to reinforce earth walls by placing pressure on them so the don't collapse. They are extremely expensive and i have never encountered one.

Comment

Yuh right bout dat.

Weak and irrelevant.

Keep on point here.. proposed construction.. Hotel.. how many stories ?.. don't leave out the basement ! unless yuh ah bandooloo !

Pop Quiz.

You are building a hotel with 4 stories above ground and 3 story basement parking.

City Engineers ask yuh.. How many stories will this Building have ?

What is your answer in ONE WORD.

Comment

thanks for the info.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Slurry Wall Is Different Than Sea Wall

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          Bruce that should happen but you think nuh hotel a go put up wall fi block sea? Any wall a fi block out local people.
          A slurry wall is different than a sea wall. A slurry wall is underground, to keep ground water away from the foundation.

Comment

Detail : WTC Bathtub ringed by a slurry wall

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
            A Slurry wall is below grade and I'm not sure about it being used to protect from water. The use I know it for is to reinforce earth walls by placing pressure on them so the don't collapse. They are extremely expensive and i have never encountered one.

What happended to Mosiah engineering degree. Is him supposed to be giving us lecture notes.

The Bathtub

The Deep Basement Containing the Twin Towers' Foundations

The bathtub contained the footprints of the Twin Towers and Buildings 3 and 6. About half of the superblock that the World Trade Center occupied contained a deep basement, the so-called bathtub. It was a skewed rectangle with sides about 980 and 520 feet, and a depth of about seven stories. 1
            The bathtub is the 9-block area of the World Trade Center site that is excavated down to bedrock and hard soils and ringed by the slurry wall. The bathtub was created to enable the building of the Twin Towers' foundations, and was ultimately filled with seven stories of basements housing the parking garage, mall, and building services. Since the ground water level at the World Trade Center site was just a few feet below the surface, while bedrock was about 70 feet below the surface, creating the bathtub required first building a 7-story dam below the water level of the adjacent Hudson River -- the slurry wall. Ground excavated to make the bathtub was deposited west of West Street to make the land on which the World Financial Center and Battery Park now stand: 1,000,000 cubic yars moved in 100,000 truck loads filled a 700- by 1400-foot area, creating $90,000,000 worth of land. 2
            Four of the World Trade Center buildings -- the Towers and Buildings 3 and 6 -- rested on foundations entirely within the bathtub.
            This illustration shows a cross-section of the bathtub tall. The diagonal lines represent the post-tensioned tie-backs: cables that resist pressure pushing inward on the bathtub. Construction

Essentially, the bathtub was built underground and underwater. Construction crews would dig a section of trench three feet wide and down to bedrock level. As the trench was dug, it was filled with a bentonite slurry, which prevented the inflow of river water by filling the trench and sealing the adjacent soil. Once the section of trench was completely excavated, a pre-fabricated steel framework, weighing 22 tons, was lowered into it. Then concrete was poured through a pipe into the bottom of the trench while the lighter bentonite slurry was sucked from the top. The entire wall was built using 152 22-foot-long sections.
            Each steel framework contained a set of guides for tiebacks -- cables that would pass through the walls and secure them to the ground outside the bathtub. The tiebacks were installed as the material inside of the bathtub was excavated, preventing the pressure of the soil and groundwater outside the bathtub from pushing the walls inward. The sub basement structures, once constructed, provided additional bracing of the walls.
            <A shape=rect name=damage>Damage on 9/11/01

Damage to the slurry wall was a concern in the wake of the attack. A breach in the wall and flooding of the bathtub would not only complicate rescue and recovery efforts; it might flood other adjacent below-grade structures, such as the Path tunnels that passed into the bathtub. Mueser Rutledge Consulting Engineers (MRCE) took a leading role in compiling information about and assessing the condition of the slurry wall. Inspection of different portions of the wall began as soon as access was possible, and monitoring continued with the instrumentation of the wall with inclinometers, survey points, and monitoring wells.
            This photograph shows the bathtub wall after most of the rubble from the 9/11/01 attack was removed. Portions of basement floors are visible in the right-hand side of the photograph. Most of The central portion of the wall's south side (bordering Liberty Street) was unsupported by intact sub-basement walls or debris, and it had moved inward more than 10 inches. This and other portions of the wall were re-habilitated as necessary. The tieback tendons were replaced throughout most of the southern half of the wall.
            References

1. <A class=offsite href="http://www.nae.edu/nae/bridgecom.nsf/weblinks/CGOZ-58NLJ9?OpenDocument">World Trade Center 'Bathtub': From Genesis to Armageddon, The Bridge, spring 2002
            2. Rise and Fall of an American Icon, History Channel,
            The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

And who yuh tink waan read dis? Ongle people like me might find this interesting.

Thanks still! I will take a read!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
              X