Quote of the Year (to date)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote of the Year (to date)

"Basements are never important when describing buildings.." - Construction Hexpert.

Sounds like a quote from a country where parking is an afterthought.

LOL !! WHOEEE !!

International exposure is a hell of a ting.. this harkens back to HL point... without the Diaspora, yard don't have a chance in hell.. and wi not talking bout remittance...

A one thing me want know, the man dem a build a basement below sea level right pon the water front?

How that work? A special construction or what?
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The 110-story World Trade Center was right by the water. Yes, care has to be taken but it's no big deal for engineers. Dubai is building islands and putting skyscrapers on them.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        The 110-story World Trade Center was right by the water. Yes, care has to be taken but it's no big deal for engineers. Dubai is building islands and putting skyscrapers on them.
        Interesting CNBC story on Dubai - "City of Money and Mystery". Impressive or disgusting use of money...take your pick!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

This is a concern for me as when Hurricane Gilbert came I was working at a five star resort on the beach and I saw the damage.

I wouldn't want to stay in any basement close to the sea.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Two considerations here. Are you concerned about the flooding that may occur? Obviously, basements will not be the best places to be! Or are you concerned about building a structure near water where you might encounter water while excavating and you think the structure could not be stable because of that?

The first one is what it is. Do not seek shelter from storms in basements if you are near the shore. A tornado is a different thing.

The second one is, no building of any size is built on anything but firm (solid!) ground. Piles are driven far enough until solid rock is reach before the rest of the foundation is actually started. Water might seep in during construction and one may have to do something extra to keep it out of the foundation, but there are ways to do both. Not something I would really worry about. I mean, how many times have you driven over the Verazzano Narrows Bridge and given it a second thought? Yes, I know yuh not living there, but still...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mi haffi withdraw this submission.. it cyaan touch dis:

"What does education have to do with class"

God Bless reggaeboyzsc.com !

Comment

Manhattan is one big chunk of bedrock granite though perfect for building skyscrapers.

Comment

As a layman inna di construction thing mi only concern about the possible flooding and chance for survival since it is right on the sea coast. I trust that the structure would be build fine but damn when I saw the destruction after Gilbert knowning that I was one a di last person who left off a di telephone switchboard.

Comment

Building Near Water - SLURRY WALL

When building near water or below sea level, it is often necessary to build a "SLURRY WALL" a separate wall around the foundation.

Look it up on Wikipedia.

Comment

Waste of time.. as the resident expert says:

"Basements are never important when describing buildings.."

Apparantly you only need to describe what can be seen from street level.. must be a what you don't know can't hurt you kind of thing..

Comment

Do you remember where you were when the 110-story (+6 basement stories) WTC Towers fell?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Anybody tell yuh seh yuh cyaan describe a building and only reference the stories above ground ?

When comparing tallest building in the world for example, the stories below ground probably would not count.. there are other examples.

The pickle you find yourself in is trying to explain why one cannot describe a building in a manner that INCLUDES the stories below ground. I have posted such examples that have strangely been ignored

Now.. wheel and come again.. is bare six mi a lick off your attempted spin.

It look like seh yuh keep fahgetting is good school mi guh.

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                            Anybody tell yuh seh yuh cyaan describe a building and only reference the stories above ground ?

Hopeless!

How many stories di Empire State Building have? (Don't forget to include (snicker)....(give me a moment... deep breath) okay...don't forget to include the base ment stories!)

Ah weak!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Bruce that should happen but you think nuh hotel a go put up wall fi block sea? Any wall a fi block out local people.

Comment

Working...
                              X