Shake-up at Customs Dept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shake-up at Customs Dept

There has been a major shake-up within the Customs Department.
    RJR 94FM's business feature The Financial Report has been informed that several employees of the Department's Valuation Unit have either been transferred to other branches or sent on leave.

Among those transferred is the Head of the Unit. The action was reportedly taken late last week in the wake of allegations of corruption and fraud.

The Financial Investigation Division is carrying out a probe into reports that goods which arrived in the island over an extended period were undervalued by personnel from the Unit.

This resulted in less revenue going into the Government's coffers.
    The clampdown comes in the wake of a warning last week by Finance Minister Audley Shaw that the government would be going after corrupt tax employees.
    Mr. Shaw said there would be zero tolerance for bribery on either side of the tax office counter.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Wi Change course...

"I have a team that is committed to changing that course, and I am the DRIVAH"

Don't stop at all...

Comment

Long time overdue, but mi sistren saved a few thousand US dollars by paying a staff member. How we going to manage if no one is going to ask us for a bribe?
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

you stay deh, them only a spread the wealth around. The new ones maybe on better.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

We have to change the culture of bribes demanding in Jamaica. Corruption has infested every walk of Jamaican life.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Anansi is a culture Hero...

It follows...

Comment

Working...
            X