• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finsac and its aftermath

Finsac and its aftermath

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Dear Editor,
    Over the past few months, and it has become more frenzied now, especially since the announcement in the budget debate about a commission of inquiry to probe what happened, I have read and listened to many arguments and tales of lives that were ruined by Finsac. However, most of this is coming from one source or only one section of the "victimised" - people who were debtors to the financial institutions that went belly-up.

As I remember it, Finsac was established as a means to protect the depositors, savers, and policy holders of the various financial institutions - banks and insurance companies - so that they wouldn't lose their life savings in some cases.
    As someone with some financial training and work experience and knowledge of how the financial systems or markets work, I have been asking myself some questions. Was the Financial Sector Adjustment Company (Finsac) formed to bail out the bankers, shareholders, and the attendant debtors to these institutions, or was it to save the depositors and policy holders?
    If this was the stated purpose, then I would love to hear from those whose life savings were saved by this entity and what would have happened if it didn't. I have some personal knowledge, as my father and other family members had savings in some of these institutions and know what would have and what actually happened to their savings.
    We all must remember that we didn't have the deposit insurance scheme at that time, and I believe that the creation of the Jamaica Deposit Insurance (JDIC) is similar to what holds in the USA (FDIC). So if the taxpayers bailed out savers and policy holders and also the bankers and debtors, who then would bear any of the losses of the failed institutions or banks?
    Also let's not muddle the debate and argue about whether it's government policy or the bankers and company executives that caused the problem. These two issues have to be examined differently and with their own merits and de-merits.There is the cause of the problem and the solution that was implemented to resolve the problem.
    Dennis M Johnson
    Miramar, FL
    jano_238@yahoo.com

BLACK LIVES MATTER

"There is the cause of the problem and the solution that was implemented to resolve the problem."

So Mr. Johnson why we can't study both?

It is ok that the depositor get back their money but others lose all their assets even what was not borrowed against? You just gave a good reason to kill the middle class entrepreneur who tried a thing to help and build the economy.

In the US as you know you could claim chapter 13 bancruptcy and nobody can touch your house that you live in and after so many years you could make a start again, FINSAC is not going away it is still here.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

What's the difference between chapter 11 and 13 bankruptcy?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Ahem!
        Maudib? Lazie? ...and di res?
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

In chapter 13 you basically say "mi nuh have nuh money fi pay nobody, I am broke" You can keep your house but not much more.

In chapter 11 you rearrange your debt and it usually involve paying smaller amount, cutting interest rates and changing the terms. The creditors usual do it to give you breathing room as they rather get some more than none at all.

That is how I understand it in layman's term, the analysts them might break it down for us.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Appreciated!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              "There is the cause of the problem and the solution that was implemented to resolve the problem."

... others lose all their assets even what was not borrowed against?
              Assasin: Where do you have facts to shows assets which where not pledged as security were lost as a result of financial institutions illegally and or by any other means taking such assets?

List them?! I am sure we would all be interested to hear of them!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

ah nuh nuthing, we all deh yah fi share and learn although some a we a "hexpert".

Comment

why would I list them since all the stories from the debtors you see you say them a LIE? Why would listing them change your opinion?

However you will hear the testimonies in the hearing and the facts will be there to support or not support it then hopefully you will be a man and say sorry to some of these people.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                    Ahem!
                    Maudib? Lazie? ...and di res?
                    You called?
                    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                      In chapter 13 you basically say "mi nuh have nuh money fi pay nobody, I am broke" You can keep your house but not much more.

In chapter 11 you rearrange your debt and it usually involve paying smaller amount, cutting interest rates and changing the terms. The creditors usual do it to give you breathing room as they rather get some more than none at all.

That is how I understand it in layman's term, the analysts them might break it down for us.
                      Yup!
                      Wi need gamma.
                      There is as far as I know - Chapter 7, Chapter 11 and Chapter 13. Each gives different levels of relief from creditors. ...I also think the filing processess differ i.e. conditions and or manner of 'the filing'/documentation etc. differ.

Comment

Working...
                      X