No announcement yet.

Is the JLP too soft on crime?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wouldn't disagree. Those images are only glorifying the lifestyle. Should be a criminal act in my book!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
      In the US decades ago some lawmakers decided that a "War on Drugs" with mandatory 15 year sentences was the way to scare inner city communities into reduced drug use and dealing. Today the prisons are overflowing with drug offenders and the drug use and dealing continues unabated.

Harsher prison sentences and death penalties just don't seem to have any effect on crime rates in the long run. It gives the victims abd thier family a greater sense of justice but it really does not serve as a deterrent to the next would-be criminal.
      Well, watching a documentary series on BETJ called American Gangster, I realized that drug dealers were giving out samples of the products to hook potential customers.

I see the use of the gun differently Islandman. Then again, if the Jamaican prisons are filled with gunmen and murderers ... no problem. Build some more. Something have to be done.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

here is my suggestion NO BAIL FOR People on murder charge relating to fire arms. NO bail for second Firearms offenders.

Comment

Whatever happen to the New Prison dat was announced under the previous admin ?

Whas that just my imagination ?
          Last edited by Muadib; May 7, 2008, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
            here is my suggestion NO BAIL FOR People on murder charge relating to fire arms. NO bail for second Firearms offenders.
            Any firearms possession .. No BAIL. The one thing I'd have a problem with is if a car is stopped and a gun is found with 5 people in the car .. mi nuh thing all 5 should be charged.

I recall getting a ride into Kingston fi guh watch a game as mi regular driver was already in the city and would meet me at the game. When we a guh through Linstead mi realize man a crush up weed fi mek spliff. I wasn't aware ganga was in the car ... and everytime I think of it, if police had stopped the car .. I'd be in trouble.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Yuh juss vex seh dem nevah offah yuh none !

Comment

I am Ok with locking them up too, but I don't think that is how the crime rate will be reduced in any permanent way. First of all, we can't even charge and convict most of them, so they have no fear of serving time.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Internet.. Invention of the last Millenium..

Plans Advanced for Construction of New Prison

MONTEGO BAY (JIS)
                  Monday, October 22, 2007

PRINT THIS SEND TO A FRIEND

Plans are advanced for the construction of a new correctional facility in Amity Hall, St. Catherine.
                  The facility, which is estimated to cost $750 million, will accommodate both males and females, with a capacity for about 5,000 beds.

Minister of State for National Security, Senator Arthur Williams, who spoke to JIS News following a tour of correctional institutions and probation and after-care offices in Hanover and Westmoreland on Wednesday (Oct. 17), said that proposals are now being accepted and this stage of the project should be completed by December 4.

"Thereafter, the matter of the negotiation of the contract will take place, and then the final submissions to the National Contracts Committee and to Cabinet, will be the final stage prior to contract," he stated.

Construction of the facility should begin by late 2008 and the project period is about three years.

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                    Brethren...all those mandatory sentences will do nothing to reduce crime.

A comprehensive strategy is needs to reduce crime, and knee jerk reactions from the jokers at Gordon House will not have a lasting effect. We have been down this road, many a time.
                    hortical, why so pessimistic... of course a comprehensive strategy is needed to reduce crime... i am assuming an intelligent person like you would understand that... you didnt expect me to present comprehensive plan here in a post...

what i have suggested should be a part of that comprehensive strategy... this is not the first time i am offering these suggestions... after a while, only the abreviated version gets offered...

lets see the zero tolerance and extreme mandatory sentencing at work and then we can assess...
                    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                      Any firearms possession .. No BAIL. The one thing I'd have a problem with is if a car is stopped and a gun is found with 5 people in the car .. mi nuh thing all 5 should be charged.
                      if such was the law, people would take care fi find out if everybody clean... you would not be riding with shady characters...

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
                        if such was the law, people would take care fi find out if everybody clean... you would not be riding with shady characters...
                        ... and yuh duh that how? Before entering the car yuh ask any a unuh have weed? Gun? Knife? All of the above? How yuh know if dem telling the truth?

Comment

True, Lazie. Drivers can't frisk riders, whether it be cab driver or bredren.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

sorry about the friends you keep... i know thats how most people who are friends do it here... you ask upfront... in fact, you say it straight... if yuh have nutten, yuh gwine own it...

Comment

how did it work in places like singapore which at one point had the highest crime rate in the world... i am sure its not only the zero tolerance... it was a comprehensive crime plan (hortical) in conjuction with extreme mandatory sentencing...

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
                                sorry about the friends you keep... i know thats how most people who are friends do it here... you ask upfront... in fact, you say it straight... if yuh have nutten, yuh gwine own it...
                                What yuh talking bout? You work a shift 3-11 or 4 to midnight. Yuh nuh fortunate fi own a car and after a hard days work yuh guh outa road guh flag down a taxi with passengers already in there. Better yet ... after entering the vehicle, it stopped and picked up passengers along the way ..

Baddaz, it look like yuh really need fi boycott red stripe boss.

Comment

Working...
                                X