• Show
Clear All

Haha!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Danville walks
      Director of elections second casualty of dual citizenship fracas
      Tuesday, May 06, 2008

DANVILLE Walker yesterday resigned with immediate effect as director of elections, the second casualty of the dual citizenship quarrel that forced Daryl Vaz to renounce his United States citizenship.

WALKER. I considered all the factors in coming to this decision

Walker submitted his resignation to the governor-general through the chairman of the Electoral Commission, Professor Errol Miller, just three weeks shy of 11 years to the day he was appointed director of elections on May 26, 1997.

His voice hoarse from a sore throat, Walker sounded burdened yesterday in an interview with the Observer, as he explained his cataclysmic decision that could throw the electoral process into a tailspin, if Prime Minister Bruce Golding elects to go to the polls early to thwart Abe Dabdoub.

But the 49-year-old chartered public accountant and former soldier leaves with his head high, saying that he had achieved the unthinkable and something which none of his predecessors could claim.

"At my first meeting with returning officers, I pledged to lead them in taking back the polling stations. We had lost the polling stations. I can say proudly that we achieved that in 2007," he said.

"In not one single polling station was there over-voting in either of the two elections we staged in 2007," Walker said, pointing to the September 3 general elections and the December 5 local government polls. "I can safely say that was the first time, certainly since Independence and possibly since Adult Suffrage (in 1944 when all Jamaicans over 21 years got the right to vote)."

Reacting to the resignation, Professor Miller said he deeply regretted Walker's decision, describing him as "a fine public servant whose values I share".
      "I have come to develop great respect for his integrity. He is truly loyal to this country and deeply committed to it," Miller added.
      He reported that Walker's staff - "a very loyal one and a good one too" - had been very disappointed to hear the news which the director himself delivered to them.

Asked by the Observer why he did not exercise the option to renounce his US citizenship which he has held since 1994, Walker said he had considered all the factors in coming to his decision.
      "I looked at my personal situation, including the fact that my three children are US citizens; and during the period between then and now I have reviewed the judgment in the case of Dabdoub vs Vaz with the assistance of my legal advisors," he told the Observer.

"The court matter of Dabdoub vs Vaz has determined that a person simply holding a United States of America passport, renewed when over 18 years of age, would be an acknowledgement of allegiance, and, as the USA is considered a foreign power, my holding that country's passport would cause me to be disqualified from holding the post of director of elections," Walker said.

"Although this determination is subject to appeal, I have, based on this interpretation and my particular circumstances, decided to resign my appointment," he added.
      "The truth is that my allegiance is to this country. I chose to live in Jamaica when I could have lived anywhere. I should not have to renounce my (US) citizenship to prove my allegiance to my country," he added.

Chief Justice Zaila McCalla in an April 11, 2008 ruling, said Daryl Vaz, member of parliament for West Portland, could not sit in the Parliament because he had sworn allegiance to a foreign power, contrary to the provisions of the Jamaican Constitution, by renewing his US passport since becoming an adult. Vaz had attained US citizenship as a child through his mother.

McCalla also ruled that a by-election should be held in the constituency, in preparation for which, Vaz, a junior minister in the Office of the Prime Minister, has renounced his American citizenship.

The court action was initiated by the People's National Party's Abe Dabdoub who maintained he should also have been returned as the winning candidate, against the chief justice's ruling, and is seeking an appeal which sources say could begin this month.

Walker's departure also brings further uncertainty to the political situation, given veiled threats by Golding that he would not allow anyone, Dabdoub particularly, to enter the Parliament through court action.

That was immediately interpreted by political analysts that the prime minister was willing to call fresh elections, unless some accommodation could be reached with the Opposition party.

Walker said he believed the law should be upheld and would stick to his decision, even if the constitution were amended to allow him to hold dual citizenship.

But he would be willing to serve the country in other capacities, he said. He disclosed that he did not have a job in mind, but planned to remain in Jamaica.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

It has been an honour to serve my country
        Statement to the Observer by Director of Elections Danville Walker
        Tuesday, May 06, 2008

The court matter of Dabdoub vs Vaz has determined that a person simply holding a United States of America (USA) passport, renewed when over 18 years of age, would be an acknowledgement of allegiance, and, as the USA is considered a foreign power, my holding that country's passport would cause me to be disqualified from holding the post of the director of elections. Although this determination is subject to appeal I have, based on this interpretation and my particular circumstances, decided to resign my appointment.

On Friday, April 11, 2008, the judgment in the matter Dabdoub vs Vaz was handed down, and I have come to a decision.
        I have tendered my resignation as the director of elections today, May 5, 2008.

It is my firm view that the law must be upheld, even when it is inconvenient and especially so, by those of us who seek to set an example as public servants.

I wish to also reiterate that I stand firmly behind the press releases issued on August 16, 2007 and August 31, 2007 that were referred to in the judgment and I encourage all who wish to comment on this matter to thoroughly read the judgment before commenting. The returning officer acted properly in accepting the nomination forms and only a court can determine if a candidate is not qualified. We are in that process.

Regarding my personal situation, I was not aware of the disqualification clause in the Electoral Commission Act which was taken from The Representation of the People (Interim Reform) Act and it appears that at my hiring those responsible were not aware either, and further that the clause also applied to them. At the April 23, 2008 meeting of the Commission, the chairman declared, and all independent members followed separately, that neither of them has now nor in the past held citizenship in any foreign country. I hope that puts to rest any speculation about them.

It has been an honour to have served my country as director of elections for the past 11 years. The successes that we have had would not have been possible without the unstinting efforts of the managers and staff of the Electoral Office of Jamaica (EOJ) and those thousands of election day workers who answered the call and signed up to work in our elections, many of you for the first time.

Never let fear or apathy prevent you from coming forward to serve. No mater how insurmountable the problem may appear, we can, with leadership, commitment and resources, overcome and build a better future. It is that belief that continues to give me hope and why my family and I live here when we could live elsewhere.

Do not worry, the Electoral Commission, and by extension, the Electoral Office, has the depth of staff and management to continue producing first-world elections that set us apart from many developing countries. I expect nothing less and we must accept nothing less.

We must commend present and past political administrations for providing the resources for us to deliver our mandate. It could not have been achieved without it.

Let me also say for the record that I am proud that during my tenure in the sensitive post of director of elections, no member of the political community has attempted to intimidate or influence me in any way or by any means.

They deserve our respect as they do a job most of us neither have the desire, courage nor ability to succeed at, and our opinion of them is largely based on what they say about each other. It is a noble profession, politics, and one we should encourage our children and young adults to be a part of, but for the right reasons.

Thank for your support over these years and particularly in the last few months.
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

"But the 49-year-old chartered public accountant and former soldier leaves with his head high, saying that he had achieved the unthinkable and something which none of his predecessors could claim.

"At my first meeting with returning officers, I pledged to lead them in taking back the polling stations. We had lost the polling stations. I can say proudly that we achieved that in 2007," he said.

"In not one single polling station was there over-voting in either of the two elections we staged in 2007," Walker said, pointing to the September 3 general elections and the December 5 local government polls. "I can safely say that was the first time, certainly since Independence and possibly since Adult Suffrage (in 1944 when all Jamaicans over 21 years got the right to vote).""

Danville must sorry that the PNP lost the last elections as he would still be DOE today. Some hypocrites mekking up noise how he should "step" pity dem wasn't saying that when the PNP winning.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

more this self preservation. Black pot cant cuss kettle.
            The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Yuh sound bittah. Do you think Danville should have kept his job?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Not at all.

How can you have free and fair elections when the Director of Elections have a US Passport !!?

Comment

Do you think Danville should have kept his job?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Do you think Jamaican Police should arrest people caught on tape engaging in anal intercourse ?

Comment

Coming out??

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                      Do you think Jamaican Police should arrest people caught on tape engaging in anal intercourse ?
                      hmmmmm??
                      what's with this on the sly campaign you're conducting on this subject?

You consistently bring up this rear admiral stuff even when the matter under discussion is completely unrelated.

Are you the PRO for JFLAG or just pro- JFLAG?
                      Last edited by Don1; May 6, 2008, 10:08 PM.
                      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Only if they are dual citizens seeking to sit in parliament while being caught on tape. Duh? is which school you go? you no need no law degree fi see that.

All dual citizens pon the tape seeking to sit in parliament must go under the jail. A just so de ting set.

Comment

snicker

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah tun man of Law to the letter, suh mi ah ask him bout certain law..

Nuh boddah wid di 'gay humour' yuh well late..

Comment

Mosiah tun man of Law to the letter, suh mi ah ask him bout certain law..

Nuh boddah wid di 'gay humour' yuh well late..
                              OK Rear Admiral.
                              I just noticed an apparent tendency of yours to raise this rare/rear subject in what could be interpreted as a supportive manner.

To each his own.... jus stay far.
                              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Your ignorance is such that you automatically associate buggery with homosexuality.

This is too easy.

Comment

Working...
                                X