Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karl & the Passport Roll call

Relax..... not the Shady Pines version.

A reporter asks this politician a question and his answer is so totally asinine.
    They must have caught him at a bad time.

Who are foreigners in the House?
    published: Sunday | May 4, 2008

Daraine Luton and Howard Campbell, Sunday Gleaner Writers

THE SUBJECT of dual citizenship, and, possibly divided loyalty, among some members of parliament (MPs) has been a topical issue in recent times.

Daryl Vaz, who won the West Portland seat in the September 3 general election, has been deemed ineligible to be elected to the House of Representatives because he has sworn allegiance to the United States of America.

Under the Constitution, a person who has sworn or acknowledges allegiance to a foreign power may be disqualified from being an MP or senator.

Election voided

In a case brought by Abe Dabdoub, defeated by Vaz in the general election, Chief Justice Zaila McCalla ruled that Vaz's election was voided by virtue of him swearing allegiance to the US.

Government MPs Shahine Robinson, Michael Stern and Gregory Mair are currently the subject of legal challenges concerning their eligibility for the legislature.

Below are responses from several MPs who were canvassed to find out if they had ever held a passport other than Jamaican and whether they have, or ever had, an American green card.

# Kern Spencer - North East St Elizabeth (PNP)

I never held a passport other than a Jamaican. No green card.

# J.C. Hutchinson - North West St Elizabeth (JLP)

You are getting into my private business, don't you think? But to cut along story short, no, I have never held another passport. And I have no ties to the United States.

# Christopher Tufton - South West St Elizabeth (JLP)

No other passport, I am fully Jamaican, and have no green card.

# Wykeham McNeil - West Westmoreland (PNP)

Just one passport - Jamaican. Never had a green card.

# Luther Buchanan - Eastern Westmoreland (PNP)

I have never had another passport. In my entire life, I have travelled outside Jamaica twice. I have no green card.

# Roger Clarke - Central Westmoreland (PNP)

I have no other passport. I have never spent more than two weeks abroad at any one time. I am a dual citizen, though - I hold a North East St Elizabeth passport and a Central Westmoreland passport.

Green card? I don't even have a visa. It expired.

# Dean Peart - North West Manchester (PNP)

My mother is an English woman, but I only have a Jamaican passport. I don't have any green card. I am pure Jamaican.

# Michael Peart - South Manchester (PNP)

I am a dual citizen. I was born in England. I have a British passport.

Green card? Not even a visa.

# Peter Bunting - Central Manchester (PNP)

I have owned a Jamaican passport and no other. Green card? No.

# Natalie Neita-Headley - East Central St Catherine (PNP)

I have never held a passport other than a Jamaican. Why are you asking these questions (about a green card)? I don't think it is right to be asking these questions on the phone.

# Robert Pickersgill - North West St Catherine

The only passport I had other than my normal passport was a diplomatic passport. No green card.

# Sharon Hay-Webster - South Central St Catherine (PNP)

She was born in the US and has acknowledged being the holder of a US passport, which has expired.

# Colin ************an - South East St Catherine (PNP)

The only time I have seen another passport is when I am passing though the airport. No green card.

# Everald Warmington - South West St Catherine (JLP)

I will talk to the press about matters having to do with the Ministry of Water and Housing because that is the country's business and I am obligated to speak. However, I will not speak to the press on matters concerning my personal life or the constituency.

# Ken Baugh - West centralSt Catherine (JLP)

I have no passport, other than a Jamaican. Never held a green card.

# Ronald Thwaites - Central Kingston (PNP)

I have no other passport than a Jamaican, and no green card.

# St Aubyn Bartlett - Eastern St Andrew (JLP)

No other passport. I lived in the US on a student visa but that's as far as it got. I remain Jamaican, without any other ties.

# Portia Simpson Miller - South West St Andrew (PNP)

I never had a passport other than Jamaican. Green card? I could never have been Prime Minister and hold a green card. I am Jamaican, born and bred.

# Maxine Henry Wilson - South East St Andrew (PNP)

I have no passport other than Jamaican. No, I have never even applied for a green card.

# Karl Samuda - North Central St Andrew (JLP)

Passport other than Jamaican? This is a highly sensitive matter. Nobody is going to discuss this with you. What you are doing is stirring up something that is settling down. Media must understand this. You may very well force an election.

# Joe Hibbert - East RuralSt Andrew (JLP)

No, I have never held a passport other than a Jamaican passport. No, I don't have a green card.

# Ian Hayles - Western Hanover (JLP)

Hayles was a naturalised American, but has given up his US citizenship. He has two children who are United States citizens.

# Edmund Bartlett - East Central St James (JLP)

No. I never had anything but a Jamaican passport, and no green card.

# Dr Donald Rhodd - East Portland (PNP)

Passport other than Jamaican? No, I've never, ever had another passport, and no green card.

# Ernest Smith - South West St Ann (JLP)

I have none (passport or green card), nor would I want any.

# Marisa Dalrymple-Philibert - South Trelawny (JLP)

I am born here, grown here and I've never had another passport. I've never had a green card, don't need one.

# Tarn Peralto - South East St Mary (JLP)

I've never had any passport, but a Jamaican one. No, I don't have a green card.

# Dr Morais Guy - Central St Mary (PNP)

I have two passports. When I was in government, I had an official passport, when I travelled on personal business, I used my regular passport. I don't hold a green card.

# Dr Patrick Harris - North Trelawny (PNP)

I only have a Jamaican passport. I am here by choice and have no desire to go anywhere else.

# Fitz Jackson - South St Catherine (PNP)

I have only had a Jamaican passport.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

# Michael Peart - South Manchester (PNP)

I am a dual citizen. I was born in England. I have a British passport.
    He needs to renounce his British citizenship.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Translation? = mmmm?
      I am the holder of a foreign passport? Yes?

...what about this guy?

- # Everald Warmington - South West St Catherine (JLP)

I will talk to the press about matters having to do with the Ministry of Water and Housing because that is the country's business and I am obligated to speak. However, I will not speak to the press on matters concerning my personal life or the constituency.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
        He needs to renounce his British citizenship.
        I have not re-read what was posted here on The Constitution but...Was there something about holders of Jamaica & British and Commonwealth citizens?

Bring me up to speed?

...and yes, he should on principle step away from his British citizenship!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Everald Warmington - why do we have to even listen to anything this man has to say? I couldn't care less about what he is doing in whatever minister, because he is an ass, and I care less about whatever piece of crap personal life he may have.

Nonfactor - forget him!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Genes running strong..

Comment

She was born in the US and has acknowledged being the holder of a US passport, which has expired.

To the best of my knowledge, even with an expired US passport you are still considered a citizen of the U.S. (she neva say she renounce her citizenship) - to get a current one all you need is the form and the money!

Mek I laff.

Where is the resident attorney Sir Gamma, please interpret what Ms. Hay Webster is really saying!
              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

I now understand that Ms. Hay-Webster allowed her passport to expire and has never sought to renew it.

But I guess her case and Vaz' is similar. In fact, in sync!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post

To the best of my knowledge, even with an expired US passport you are still considered a citizen of the U.S. (she neva say she renounce her citizenship) - to get a current one all you need is the form and the money!

Mek I laff.

Where is the resident attorney Sir Gamma, please interpret what Ms. Hay Webster is really saying!
                  Yuh nuh need nuh law-yah!
                  Yuh kerreck!

Comment

The question is, did she pledge allegiance to the US either verbally in some swearing in ceremony or by way of renewing the passport?

From all indications thus far, the answer to both scenarios is NO. Yet dem waan come tell me har situation is in sync with Vaz own.

Cho!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It would take the PNP to break the "Don't ask, Don't tell' rule here.

The stakes must be pretty high to bring out such desperate tactics.. dem remind me of Gollum and him 'precious'...

Comment

What the hell r u talking about?!? (Rhetorical. Answer not expected, nor needed.)

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Don't ask, Don't tell..

Comment

heh heh.

ok.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                              The question is, did she pledge allegiance to the US either verbally in some swearing in ceremony or by way of renewing the passport?

From all indications thus far, the answer to both scenarios is NO. Yet dem waan come tell me har situation is in sync with Vaz own.

Cho!
                              Yuh do it in writing.

Surely you cant tell me you think her passport was never renewed??

If it was ever renewed, then she tek the oath according to the CJ. This much is clear. She only became Jakan in 1987. So which PPT was she travelling on all the time???

PNP bring up this whole mess and now them game-playing, and you putting up with this???

Comment

Working...
                              X