• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIU Hotel should demolish its fourth floors

PM stands up to RIU
    . Fraud Squad called in to investigate possible criminality
    Friday, May 02, 2008

Prime Minister Bruce Golding left no doubt yesterday that he expected the RIU Hotel to demolish its unapproved fourth floors on three buildings at Mahoe Bay near Montego Bay, St James, or face the full brunt of Jamaican law.
    "The Government will not tolerate this blatant violation nor will it entertain any request for breaches to be regularised," Golding said in a release issued after a meeting at Jamaica House yesterday with representatives of state agencies involved in the building approval process.
    Golding also ordered that an enforcement order be served immediately on RIU Jamaicotel, developers of the RIU hotel at Mahoe Bay - in the direct flight path of aircraft using the Sangster International Airport three kilometers away - requiring them to "comply with the approved building plans and to demolish any works which exceed the specifications that were approved".

"The prime minister wanted to send a very strong signal that he is putting an end to the practice of developers committing breaches of their approved plans then seeking to regularise them," junior minister in the prime minister's office, Daryl Vaz told the Observer last night.

Golding's directive came a day after the RIU Hotel chain insisted it would resubmit a "revised building plan" to legitimise its three four-storey buildings that breached the plan approved on June 29, 2007 by the St James Parish Council and the National Environment and Planning Agency (NEPA).
    The prime minister appeared to have been particularly incensed by news from the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) that breaches were detected on nine of the 10 buildings being constructed by RIU at Mahoe Bay.

Golding was advised that the developers knew that based on the development order they received, that construction of the fourth floor was in breach of the approved order.

He directed that the Police Fraud Squad be called in to investigate possible criminality surrounding the recent submission by RIU of a building plan that carried the signature of the St James Parish Council's superintendent of roads and works, Tubal Brown, and the council's official stamp.
    However, the plan, in Spanish, was not taken before the council or NEPA, and the requisite fees were not received, according to Montego Bay Mayor Charles Sinclair.

Brown has not yet responded to a request from the mayor to provide an explanation of how his signature came to be on the Spanish-owned hotel's plan that did not come before the council.
    Golding also instructed that the matter be taken up by the Parish Council Services Commission.

Yesterday, it emerged that Jamaica is apparently not the only country where the RIU Hotel is having run-ins over alleged building breaches.
    According to the online publication, CafeCancun.com, the chain was recently fined more than US$3.5 million for building an entire hotel without permission as an annex to a new hotel in Cancun, Mexico for which they did have permission.

"The local federal environment director was relieved amidst accusations that he had taken bribes in this and other situations," said the publication which gives news, opinions and advice about the Mexican resort.
    The writer described the RIU hotel "as sickeningly grotesque and out of scale", akin to complaints in Jamaica by RIU's neighbours that it is not in sync with the topography and tapestry of the resorts.
    RIU's representatives were not invited to the meeting Golding called with state ministers Robert Montague and Vaz, and officials of the St James Parish Council led by Mayor Sinclair, NEPA and the CAA.
    "The PM has no intention of meeting with them to negotiate anything. What he wants is for RIU to comply with the provisions of the approved building plan of June 29, 2007," Vaz said last night.

He said based on the report from the CAA's commissioned land surveyor who did measurements at the building site, nine of out 10 buildings had breaches of the approved height: one exceeded by 2.21 metres; two exceeded by 1.31 metres; three exceeded by 1.51 metres and three by 0.41 metres.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Prime Minister with balls!!
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

He (Golding) directed that the Police Fraud Squad be called in to investigate possible criminality surrounding the recent submission by RIU of a building plan that carried the signature of the St James Parish Council's superintendent of roads and works, Tubal Brown, and the council's official stamp.
      Corruption is so widespread and endemic in Jamaica.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Ungracious attack on Spanish investors

Friday, May 02, 2008

Dear Editor,
        One can't help but notice the barrage of direct and seemingly orchestrated attacks on the Spanish investments in Jamaica, including the April 29 cartoon in the Observer ridiculing the ambassador from Spain. This is really very ungracious, insulting, and uncharacteristic of our nation. I believe that these articles are pandering to the worst zenophobic sentiments among us, and will serve only to discourage future investors from coming here.

Jamaica, for some unexplained reason, presents itself as a maze of stumbling blocks to any investor, while we should instead be welcoming and rolling out the red carpet for all reputable entities who take the considerable risk of bringing direct investment to our volatile shores.

It must be borne in mind that the entire manufacturing sector was wiped out during the regime of the 1970s when it was said that "tek han and tun fashion" was the way forward, while at the same time the government (and successive governments) turned a blind eye to illicit imports from China. This caused the closure of hundreds of garment, shoe, textile and furniture factories, resulting in the loss of thousands of jobs. A tremendous void on the employment market was created which can now be filled by employment in these new labour-intensive additions to the tourism product.

The last government gave away many things, and hopefully they will be held accountable. It is hoped that the present government will leave a cleaner track record, but foreign direct investment is investment, no matter how the cards are cut, as long as it represents a clean hand.

Our all-inclusive hotels which are Jamaican-run and owned have been blessed by virtue of far-sighted thinking. They were the originators of this wonderful vacation package which is now copied worldwide, and indeed was probably the only real success story of the 1970s and '80s - and this phenomenon occured without any assistance from any government. Our own Jamaican entrepreneur, Abe Issa, was the guiding light in this industry and in the darkness of the 1970s changed his tourism bastion, the landmark Tower Isle Hotel, into the first all-inclusive resort.

Notwithstanding the introduction of foreign investors in the same field, our Jamaican hotels are shining examples of modern-day Jamaican expertise. There is no need for us to be having "red eye" on foreign investors who have brought millions to our island.

It's time we all work together to encourage legitimate investment, whether foreign or local, and make our approval process more user-friendly to encourage further investment in the future.

E Charles Hanna
        18 King Street
        Kingston
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

This week, the Observer has been absolutely shameless as it prostrated itself for chairman, Butch Stewart, launching a relentless attack on RIU for its alleged breach of building guidelines. Every single headline for the past few days have been about the RIU issue, and it's sketelish cartoonist, Clovis has followed, cluck-cluck, right behind.

If I didn't know better I would think that that was the only thing of importance taking place in Jamaica. Huh? What's that? People are being murdered 4 and 5 per community? Rice shortage as Guyana is unable to supply? Dabdoub not about to give in? Where unnu hear bout all dat?

The fact that the PM has stepped in and told RIU to fix it or else is being seen as a grand act by some. Others see it as a something he had to do, what with the Sandals chairman alleged million dollar support for the JLP's election campaign and alleged promise for future funds if elections are called this year. Why is the Prime Minister of a country ruling on a building breach? How ballsless is the St. James parish council? How ballsless is the police force? So the prime minister, with cojones up the yingyang, needed to step in on this matter.

It's clear who is wagging who here, while the Observer continues to shag around in broad daylight. Even a Knutsford prostitute operates in the shadows.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

How petty are you people going to get? The building is going up in the flight path but you pointing finger at Butch and the Observer? The Mayor from Monday had posted questions to Brown and up to Wednesday when he was being interviewed he didn't get a response.

I guess anything the PM did would have some up in arms. If he was silent, some would ask where is the PM on this ... the PM act now clowns talking bout financial support for election campaign.

When yuh ago stop embarrass yuhself Mosiah? Didn't Maubid tell you to pace yuhself?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
              When yuh ago stop embarrass yuhself Mosiah?
              Rahtid! Mi suppose fi embarrass??! Karl, Don1, Assasin!!! Unnu coulden tell mi?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

At least Bruce take a stand, one way or another. There are others who just sidestep all their responsibilities and it has cost Jamaica dearly.

Him take a stand and if he is wrong he will pay for it, if he is right hopefully he will benefit from it. Yes the observer pushig it and we know the reason but there should be no question about blocking flight path regardless who it is.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

• Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                    At least Bruce take a stand, one way or another. There are others who just sidestep all their responsibilities and it has cost Jamaica dearly.

Him take a stand and if he is wrong he will pay for it, if he is right hopefully he will benefit from it. Yes the observer pushig it and we know the reason but there should be no question about blocking flight path regardless who it is.
                    I would love for someone to point out to me where I suggested for even one fleeting moment that RIU should be allowed to do what they are doing.

Yes, Bruce took a stand, but what next? Is he also going to dock the pay of RIU construction workers if they are not wearing their hard hats?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mo why would have to point out any specific thing in your argument?
                      What they are doing is dangerous and shouldn't happen, no two way about it, it could endanger many lives.

Mi nuh know bout the hard hat but him need fi check out some tuff head investors who have nothing Jamaican at heart.

Comment

I haven't been monitoring every headline from the Observer over the last few days. If every headline has been about RIU, then that is over the top.

Comment

But why unnu mekking it look like mi deh pon RIU side?!?! What I am highlighting is the continued prostitution of what used to be a respected national daily newspaper!

How could anyone approve of RIU's actions, even tho I think there is much more to this story!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

didn't you see I talk about the observer agenda? for me this is expected from Butch but there is a criminal somewhere in the picture and I don't think it is Butch.

But what I am more concern about is these people coming and breaking every law they can even when it endanger flight into our airport.

By the way isn't developement and evironment under the Prime Minister portfolio?

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                              By the way isn't developement and evironment under the Prime Minister portfolio?
                              And if the answer is yes, what?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X