Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Stripe blackmailing dancehall?

Red Stripe blackmailing dancehall?

My Friend P says this Red Stripe announcement regarding the pulling back of its sponsorship of certain types of live entertainment events is tanta-mount to blackmail. I, however, have told P that I cannot support this view, especially since this chatter of taking action against certain types of behaviour by artistes at live events had become perennial from corporate Jamaica.
    But, yes, they do sound more serious this year.
    However, sponsors have their money which they can use to do whatever they choose. They do not have any obligation, moral or otherwise, to sponsor anything, be it entertainment or charity. Simply, sponsors really do things to benefit their bottom line.
    So, if Red Stripe (which people need to understand does not mean only Red Stripe beer, but all the other brands within that powerful beverage conglomerate) decides that it won't put mega bucks into live entertainment that is its prerogative.
    The response from some members of the entertainment industry that Red Stripe be boycotted is, however, an interesting position which I am sure the people on Spanish Town Road did not read and ignore.
    It is interesting, because Red Stripe forged relationships with live entertainment events because of what it would do for its bottom line - what it would do for its products' image, awareness and, ultimately, sales. So, is it possible that this sector, with which Red Stripe once had a sweet love affair, has suddenly had a souring of passions? If that's so, then it might work to create bitter beer bottom lines.
    Of course, I would further argue that if Red Stripe is being true to its so called stance against lewdness et al at live events, then it should be putting in measures to limit or if possible prevent the sale of its products at these events.
    After all, if there is some television footage of a scene with the proliferation of violence and anti-minority group lyrics, it would be quite damaging to the pristine Red Stripe image if even a glimpse of one of its bottles in a pleased patron's hand were seen. That's right Red Stripe defend the cause for the cleaning up of dancehall and send out a press release pleading, encouraging your vendors not to pour your alcoholic beverages et al at these events. "Ha!" My Friend P laughs and says "But C, it will affect their bottom line." Hmm. 'Cock mouth ketch cock' you say?
    You know of course there is an odd painting of a broad brush across the entertainment industry in Jamaica that is so unfair. The selection of music being produced is so diverse and has become more and more diverse in the past two years, particularly with the entry of more females who have softened the music in a serious way. Hardcore dancehall, which is what Red Stripe is hitting out against, is not all that is on the table. There are other offerings from others such as Etana, Taurus Riley, C-Sharp, Gyptian, Richie Spice, Morgan Heritage and Alaine.
    A word to everyone, though hardcore dancehall can not be stopped or tamed, it will be what the society needs it to be. When Jamaica becomes more civilised the sounds from hardcore dancehall will change too. Until then, it reflects an ugliness that is uncomfortable for some of us to hear and see - but it is quite real. The Ernie Smith vision of Jamaica will return when those Life is just for Living images dominate Jamaica's daily living. Hold up - Red Stripe loved that Ernie Smith song didn't it - ooh, yes it has been a long love affair.

Email comments to: myfriendp@hotmail.com

BLACK LIVES MATTER
Working...
X