OJ, Rockman re Obama/Wright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OJ, Rockman re Obama/Wright

OJ, based on the emails and discussions I have had offline over the last day or so, on second thoughts you seem to be right that black people are so hyped by the thought of a black president everything and everybody else pales in comparison. I don't know if that is necessarily a good thing but it seems to be the case.

I have been surprised by the number of people I know who were originally defending even the most indefensible Rev Wrights statements, who are now ****************ed off at him for saying the same thing in front of the national media. In the Trinity United church and the South Side of Chicago I think it will probably be more evenly split like Assasin says, but who knows.

Rockman,you say you don't think the US would ever elect a black president, but based on Obamas competitiveness with the issues he has I don't know if I agree. If you take away Rev Wright and his Muslim family background Obama would probably be 10-15 points ahead. They were always the 2 issues I thought would be his biggest obstacles.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

I don't think America is ready for a black president. All it takes is little controversy to derail Obama or any other black candidate. Other candidates might be able to weather similar controversies, but not the black candidate.

I tell myself that I would not want to see a black president just because, but "in the grand scheme of things" (whatever that means), if people like George W can be president for 8 years, then how bad could it be for Sharpton to be in the White House!

So, whereas I would want Obama as president, I don't believe he is helping his campaign with such hypocritical statements as those he recently issued about the reverend.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The problem is a black man always going to have a black background. He is somehow normally associated with some civil rights leader or another which is not main stream in America. He has to support Abortion, Affirmative action etc before black support him and then the White man who is opposing is going to drive "fear" of a black president into the heart of some Americans.

It is hard for a blackman any which way you take it. While I supported Obama as I said before I wouldn't believe it until white people actually go out and vote for him on election day. I say this base on my experience with Major Dinkins and Doug Wilder who was leading by 4 points or more until after the election.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
        OJ, based on the emails and discussions I have had offline over the last day or so, on second thoughts you seem to be right that black people are so hyped by the thought of a black president everything and everybody else pales in comparison. I don't know if that is necessarily a good thing but it seems to be the case.

I have been surprised by the number of people I know who were originally defending even the most indefensible Rev Wrights statements, who are now ****************ed off at him for saying the same thing in front of the national media. In the Trinity United church and the South Side of Chicago I think it will probably be more evenly split like Assasin says, but who knows.

Rockman,you say you don't think the US would ever elect a black president, but based on Obamas competitiveness with the issues he has I don't know if I agree. If you take away Rev Wright and his Muslim family background Obama would probably be 10-15 points ahead. They were always the 2 issues I thought would be his biggest obstacles.
        Cold hard luck! Cold hard measured decision! - Obama as VP to Hillary! ...both working together (...and I do believe they do not like each other!) would if Hillary's term was successful (...thus Obama would work harder than any VP to assure that...) lead to 8 years of a President Obama!

Simple - Get the people used to a black in the White House (well he would be in a planned right front and center role) in stable successful presidency and bingo!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

It is definately a hard road for a black man to travel, and even harder to find a candidate who has all the characteristcs requied and is in the right place at the right time. It almost has to be a perfect storm so to speak.

Colin Powell running as a Democrat, even with the same slightly conservative fiscal policies, would have had a good shot.

Obama without Wright and the muslim background is basically a liberal Colin Powell with a more populist appeal.

I think it is possible, certainly more than it was 15-20 years ago.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

"I don't think America is ready for a black president. All it takes is little controversy to derail Obama or any other black candidate. Other candidates might be able to weather similar controversies, but not the black candidate."

very true
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

if he does not win I dont see who can i my life time.. I am glad you understand where I am coming from.

Comment

Karl can I ask you a fundamental question. If Obama is not qualified to be president why is he qualified to be the vp.. Emancipates ones selves from mental slavery. Do you tell your kid they should strive to be the second brightest in class or the sub on the bench or foreman not the manager?

Comment

But OJ, remember that Obama came from nowhere in the last 4 years to where he is today. Thats not to say there will be others just as easily as he came, but I think there will be more opportunities going forward.

Comment

I always understood what you were saying. Still not sure if you understand what I am saying.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

why yuh want that old lyad as VP? ef sup'm happen to hillary he would be president...EXPLAIN yuhself!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
                        If Obama is not qualified to be president why is he qualified to be the vp?
                        thats a power question that i would like karl to answer...
                        'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

karl has some serious questions to answer... imagine the potential of a bigger lyad inna de white house...
                          'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Why do you all keep calling Obama a black man ?

Mental Slavery ?

Comment

There is one glaring problem with your analysis.. Obama is not a black man...

Comment

Working...
                              X