• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ku crowd

Rush for warder jobs
    BY COREY ROBINSON Observer staff reporter robinsonc@jamaicaobserver.com
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008

More than 1,500 people crowded the Christian Fellowship World Outreach Church in St Andrew yesterday hoping to be selected on the final day of a warder recruitment drive staged by the Department of Corrections.
    The job seekers, many of whom were lined up for hours along Dunrobin Avenue, stood with large envelopes in hand as the morning sun pressed hard on their heads.
    Thousands of job seekers flock the grounds of the Christian Fellowship World Outreach Church in St Andrew for a warder recruitment programme staged by the Department of Corrections yesterday. (Photo: Michael Gordon)
    The large gathering caused motorists to slow down to look at the noisy crowd, causing a traffic pile-up.
    "We just need the work, that's why we have been out here waiting so long," said Crystal Rose, a Portmore resident who said she had been camping outside the church since 6:00 in the morning.
    "Me have my four-year-old son to take care of, and although his father is helping, I have to play my part, so whatever it takes I just have to do it," the young woman said, in answer to questions about the uncomfortable conditions she had been experiencing while standing in line.
    Rose was among hundreds of women who queued to get a chance at being selected.
    People travelled from as far as Westmoreland for the recruitment process.
    But while the women hustled to get into each the batch of 30 persons being admitted into the church, several dismissed persons, behind crooked brows, scoffed at the strict requirements set by the Department of Corrections.
    According to Aileen Stephens, deputy commissioner at the department, over 25 per cent of the persons who turned out for the exercise were dismissed because they wore tattoos or were in contravention of the policies regarding body piercing.

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
    According to Aileen Stephens, deputy commissioner at the department, over 25 per cent of the persons who turned out for the exercise were dismissed because they wore tattoos or were in contravention of the policies regarding body piercing.
    So all dem man deh wid dem ears ring get sheg! Dat mean nuff a dem!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

what if dem tek it out fi di "hinterveew"?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        So all dem man deh wid dem ears ring get sheg! Dat mean nuff a dem!
        Tatoos? We really do have some rules from the B.C. era to rahtid.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

and cork up di hole tuh? den dem criss!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yuhseeit! I know someone who had the most harmless tattoo on his arm that could almost be mistaken for a birthmark. His application to the JCF was turned down because of that.

Is just di odda day we start allow our female officers to wear pants! And den wi low dem now fi put on likkle lip gloss. Not saying they should look like a hoochie mama, but geez!

I saw an ad. for JDF soldiers some years ago. One of the requirements was no dental cavities. Hell, I would hate to see one of our soldiers fall out of line to retrieve his dentures!

Does anyone know the reason for the no cavity rule?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
            X