• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would any sensible company board

not want to sponsor this event?

Stars, surprises take fans away

Krista Henry, Staff Reporter

A well dressed Chris Martin represented for the Jamaican Girls at the Take Me Away Show with Richie Stephens and Friends, held at the National Indoor Sports Centre, Independence Park on Sunday night April 27. - Winston Sill photos
    Star studded performances took the audience to heights at the Gleaner-sponsored Take Me Away concert last Sunday night at the National Indoor Sports Centre.
    Although the venue was not as packed as previous years, the persons who made it to see Richie Stephens and Friends proved to be energetic and eager for a good musical experience. Starting promptly at 8 p.m., Marvia Providence brought a touch of gospel, getting the audience out of their seats from the onset with Hear My Cry and Wet Wet Wet. Providence was saucy with an infectious spirit and energy. Young violinist Nadje followed to a big crowd response playing Fly Robin Fly among other upbeat hits.
    Dressed in black, Nadje displayed a good stage presence for her tender age. Richie Stephens followed in the first of several themed appearances for the night. In an almost cabaret style, Stephens came on with a disco-inspired routine with dancers in tow.
    Dressed in a suit and faux fur Stephens gave away his signature roses to the adoring females as he sang Rock The Boat, Me and Mrs Jones, and birthday girl Olivia 'Babsy' Grange, was serenaded by Stephens with Into The Night.
    Rising Stars Christopher Martin and Noddy Virtue had the women in a frenzy as the ladies made their way on stage to give them roses. Chris sang to his Jamaican Girls impressing the women with Take My Wings and Fly Away, while Noddy showed off his dance moves to You Sang To Me inviting Jodian Pantry for Bed of Roses as the sparks flew between the two.
    It was not just a night for music as comedians Ity and Fancy Cat had the audience in stitches with their 'ghetto-conomy' among other jokes.
    In this section, Richie dazzled eyes in a Jamaican flag-styled shirt singing Proud to be Jamaican, and Country Bus before leading a look-a-like as a surprise performance. As Wales entered pandemonium erupted to the lines of Nah Lef Yah.
    Almost stealing the show, Pluto Shervington and Ernie Smith, both in white, shone brightly as a well-matched duo. The crowd got to their feet dancing and singing to Dat Ting, Your Honour , I Man Born Yah and Ram Goat Liver from Pluto with Hope It Never Stops, I Can't Take It, Tears On My Pillow, Pitta Patta and Duppy Gunman coming from Smith.
    Queen Ifrica was in form with a new love song before going conscious with Daddy as Stephens joined Ifrica on stage for a mix of his Stop The Fighting with Ifrica's Below The Waist as the two danced together for the crowd. Tony Rebel surprised the audience, joining Richie on stage for a sing-off, with Rebel singing Fresh Vegetable, Girl I'm Gonna Make You Sweat and from Beres (who was in the house) for Tempted to Touch.
    The crowd got excited waiting to see Beres. However, emcee Francois St Juste soon announced that Beres was a patron and not a performer.
    Shinehead, after many years away from the Jamaican stage, strived for excellence with You Give Good Love, Me Tonight, Its A Family Affair, Jamaican In New York before ending with Strive.
    The reunited bad boys of reggae the Bloodfire Posse ended the night looking dapper in black. Older fans rushed to the stage to see the group, each member a star in his own right. They performed Get Flat, Keep Rocking Tonight, Rub A Dub, Dance All Night among other hits.
    They showed off their fancy moves, inviting Stephens on stage, to do the 'gully creeper' and 'to di world' among other new dances. Minutes after midnight the fans exited, having had their money's worth and having been taken away with Stephens for yet another year.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

The event had no sponsors ?

Comment

and them never cuss any B@@@ttyman right? and no gun talk? Them just go up and sing some wicked tune and people enjoy themselves.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

So.. did they have sponsors or not ?

Comment

All I know is Richie Stephens thing so him brethren them just come eeennnn.

What is the difference?

Comment

Suh a nuh sponsorship wi a talk bout ?

Comment

you want mi tell you lie sah? mi say mi nuh know if them have sponsor.

Comment

Working...
              X