Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Companies not sponsoring events with Beenie Man and Bounty K

This was from 2005.

Suh why people vex now that Red Stripe put down dem foot?

Companies not sponsoring events with Beenie Man and Bounty Killer

A group of Jamaican companies which has dubbed itself a Coalition of Corporate Sponsors has decided that they will not be sponsoring any entertainment events at which dancehall artistes Beenie Man and Bounty Killer are slated to perform until further notice.
    According to a statement issued by the coalition, the members ? Courts, Supreme Ventures, Digicel, Red Stripe, Jamaica Tourist Board, Cable and Wireless and J. Wray and Nephew ? have taken this decision in the wake of artistes' recent performances at the Jamaica Carnival's Last Hurrah where profane language was used by Bounty Killer while Beenie Man incited the audience to use the same.

"What it means is until further notice we will not be sponsoring any shows with these artistes. So promoters can hold their shows with these artistes if they would like to, however, they (corporate sponsors) will not be providing sponsorship support to these shows," Odette Nixon, a spokesperson for the coalition told THE STAR.
    This latest development may also impact the artistes' involvement in a multimedia advertising campaign being done under Cable and Wireless' bmobile brand.

No comment
    Speaking with THE STAR yesterday, Everald Edwards of the corporate communications department at Cable and Wireless said the company has not yet decided if any action will be taken against the artistes with regard to the advertising campaign. He also could not state when the company would make a decision about the issue.
    Management for both artistes said they would have to further examine the statements before they make any comment about the issue.

More research needed
    "They (Corporate sponsors) did not specify any names, and I need to do a little more research to fully understand, before I comment, because they (the artistes) have apologised profusely and the sponsors know where they are coming from," said Solid Agency's Sharon Burke, the booking agent for Bounty Killer.

"I would not want to make a comment until I have studied it comprehensively. There might be conditions and so any statement at this time would be premature on my part," was the response from Clyde McKenzie, the director of Shocking Vibes Limited, Beenie Man's local label.
    He also questioned the Corporate Sponsors' decision for taking this latest stance. "I would also want to know why this stance was taken, because it would seem extreme to say the least," he said.

According to the statement, the sponsors' decision was in keeping with their responsibility to stakeholders to ensure that their marketing reflects their corporate values. The statement also said they had an even larger responsibility to the public to act within socially acceptable standards.
    The statement listed three principles to which the companies were committed which include their refusal to sponsor 'acts or events whose live performances endorse or incite violence, demean or discriminate against any person, or include the use of indecent or profane language'.
    In light of these principles and standards they found the artistes' behaviour at the Last Hurrah a violation. "The code is based on the principle that a breach against one sponsor is considered a breach against all. In light of this, until further notice the coalition suspends sponsorship of any event or activity, which includes the offending artistes in live performance," the statement said.

The members of the coalition also sponsor several entertainment events which take place throughout the year. They include Red Stripe Reggae Sumfest, Supreme Ventures Jamaica Carnival and East Fest which is sponsored by J. Wary and Nephew.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Did they generalise ?Did they target a whole industry ?

Bun dem out Bounti , Beenie , Vybz etc.Nuh more Slackness , Lets hope these corporations support culture.
    Last edited by Sir X; April 29, 2008, 01:35 PM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

i've been ignoring that question .. but lets address it. If they had said they were only supporting jazz and blues, reggae or soca .. you same one would still be upset .. claiming dem a fight ghetto music.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

July 19th Lineup:

Beenie Man, Bounty Killer, Movado.......

Who can't hear will feel.

Comment

Well this is a stance I can support.

Lazie you see mi stand behind fair and good coporate decisions.

Now is the time fi you fi stop buy the "kill dem music"" too
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Ah wheh di..?!

Suh how not sponsoring Sumfest don't fall under dat ?

Yuh nuh si di Sumfest lineup ?

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              Well this is a stance I can support.

Lazie you see mi stand behind fair and good coporate decisions.

Now is the time fi you fi stop buy the "kill dem music"" too
              Oh .. suh now yuh a change course? There are some that I can tolerate ... there are some that simply go way over the line. Despite of what I may listen to I could see and understand the reason why RS did what they did .. without getting emotional like the rest of you.

Comment

What did I change Lazie?

I stated that they can ban individual stage shows, Promoters and artists but not wholesale Jamaican shows.

It would help if you read sometimes in your rush to judgement.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

What did I change Lazie?

I stated that they can ban individual stage shows, Promoters and artists but not wholesale Jamaican shows.

It would help if you read sometimes in your rush to judgement.
                  Oh Lord .. yuh just remind of the Mac ad with Mac, PC and the shrink. I thought we had a break thru.

Sass, that position was taken in 2005. They were warned .... what dem must duh ... warn again?

Comment

Did you read my initial post?

I said Ban artists, ban promoters, producers but not blanket Jamaican show.

I also asked if nobody at Red Stripe know the difference between Berres Concert, Jazz and Blues and Passa Passa.

Unnu need fi read

Comment

Lazie take action against the SHOWS that violate it not EVERYBODY and every form of Jamaican shows. In case you don't realise the variety of shows you need to think again. JAMAICAN MUSIC AND SHOWS IS NOT ALL ABOUT DANCEHALL.

Comment

Did you read my initial post?

I said Ban artists, ban promoters, producers but not blanket Jamaican show.

I also asked if nobody at Red Stripe know the difference between Berres Concert, Jazz and Blues and Passa Passa.

Unnu need fi read
                        .. and as I said to Xuberant ...if Red Stripe had said they were not sponsoring shows with Dancehall artistes, y'all would be here claiming how dem a fight gainst ghetto yutes. Is Red Stripe ... not Burger King ... yuh cyaan have it your way.

Comment

"Red Stripe had said they were not sponsoring shows with Dancehall artistes, y'all would be here claiming how dem a fight gainst ghetto yutes. Is Red Stripe"

and how would you determind that? I would support them because I know what goes on in the dancehall and oppose to Carneige Hall. Currently as a father I don't go any show I can't carry my kids.

and cut out the damn "y'all" mi hear it enough inna the south .

Comment

Ignoring , like I said yuh tun idiat.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

He determines it by generalising and when arguement lick im, im tun fool and hope BEN (maudib) & H.L can bail im out.

Only fools generalise.A good lesson taught to me by my father at a young age.

Comment

Working...
                              X