RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dance-hall artists ban on Red Stripe is a laugh...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the few bold enough to admit that you listen to dancehall ? Dont we all ? does one have to admit they listen to it to actually listen to it ?

Lazie i sense some insecurity on your part , anyway Its not that you listen its what you support , voilent lyrics has always been apart of reggae in the form of social expression e.g ruddie come from jail because ruddie get bail , let him go , let him go , dem a loot dem a shoot dem a burn in shanty town , rude boy deh pan probation , to etc etc . Crime didnt just become endemic in Jamaica and the music didnt recently get voilent .

But It seems to me recently the B.Man dem a launch dem campaign.Call a spade a spade and get off dancehall as your cover to luanch irrational attacks on others , you ask a silly question where do Jamaicans dictate to others how to live thier lives ? we dont ! but we will not accept others dictating to us how to live ours.

Its a cultural thing , Homophobia is alive and well in the African world and yes I am proud of it.

When yuh start Bun de bible talk to me.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Yuh never ear deh tune gash dem and light dem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzuJu__a_LI

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
        One of the few bold enough to admit that you listen to dancehall ? Dont we all ? does one have to admit they listen to it to actually listen to it ?

Lazie i sense some insecurity on your part , anyway Its not that you listen its what you support , voilent lyrics has always been apart of reggae in the form of social expression e.g ruddie come from jail because ruddie get bail , let him go , let him go , dem a loot dem a shoot dem a burn in shanty town , rude boy deh pan probation , to etc etc . Crime didnt just become endemic in Jamaica and the music didnt recently get voilent .

But It seems to me recently the B.Man dem a launch dem campaign.Call a spade a spade and get off dancehall as your cover to luanch irrational attacks on others , you ask a silly question where do Jamaicans dictate to others how to live thier lives ? we dont ! but we will not accept others dictating to us how to live ours.

Its a cultural thing , Homophobia is alive and well in the African world and yes I am proud of it.

When yuh start Bun de bible talk to me.
        Insecurity about what? X ... stop being Xuberant nuh? The music today is more international that it was when those tunes were hitting the airwaves. Futhermore, those music wasn't promoting the killing of anybody?

You think its just about a group of people and their campaign? Last month I played at a party and the hostess asked me please not to play any "OFFENSIVE" Music. She isn't gay ... suh why should she make such a request? You think she is the only one who is offended by the "OFFENSIVE MUSIC?"

Whats the significance of me bunning the bible? How many sins have we all committed? Suh why unuh in unuh ignorance want to abuse those who choose to live their lives a certain way?
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Your problem is you generalise in your arguments and when it is pointed out to you , yuh tun fool.Same mistake Red Stripe is doing , blanketing a whole industry as being voilent ? when we know it is not , If you say the whole industry is homophobic then yes boycott.

If they said we only support culture Artist , wouldnt that be a move in the right direction ? dont they have that option ?

1st generalising you made was pointing out that , X & Karl doesnt listen to dancehall music, wrong! as we all know danchall has two sides , slackness and culture ,when I pointed out that I dont support certain artist you jump on me that i dont like dancehall . Now I hear you do the same ?

Dance hall or Reggae is a mirror of society back in the 70s it was conquering another sound , to the 80s killing a sound and DJs and since that trend has started it hasnt stopped.

Could it be a mirror of how our social and moral net has eroded and is it all becuase of Dancehall, do we actually believe that if all the artist starting djing hyms all the killing would stop?

I wouldnt rule it out to get worse along talabanic lines.Like I said Red Stripe is a cop out , the real issues are being swept under the carpet , government needs to do more socially ........before unnuh advocate teaching Gravey in schools unnuh a use music as an escape.
          Last edited by Sir X; April 29, 2008, 11:56 AM.

Comment

I wonder if there should be a show with Sean Paul, Shaggy and Junior Gong if the promoters would have a problem influencing Red Stripe to sponsor the show? Wait ... as mi hear some idiots pon a radio program this morning ... "dem light skin!" Focking idiots.

Lazie they would sponsor it unless it was held a foriegn. Them say all music event(no so them say?)
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Then x, don't SOME of these guys DESERVE to get banned, if you recognize that we have certain laws in place that they flout with impunity?

Yuh trying to mek this sound like the artistes have the right to take the laws in their own hands with that foolish example of pediophilia...which govt goin do dat.?..say what you want to say..pediophilia is NOT restricted to homos! half a dem man whe a sing gains bman a run afta school girl dem under 16 etc etc. and have no care about what dem leave behind!

pr
              Peter R

Comment

Who said I dont agree with that , read the retort to Lazie , dont let him get you with his generalising.

Ban slackness , support culture.Have they said they would support any culture artist to show that they are looking out for Jamaican society.

NO ! why not ?

Comment

When yuh see KArl, ask him about his comments. Futhermore .. don't try the houdini thing.

"Honestly never heard of him till U mentioned him .

Nami some music I dont entertain , I really believe that its artist like these that will give away our birth right (reggae) to forgeiners i.e the japanese and trinis for this crap that they call music."

Crap they call music ...Those are your words Xcuse ... suh why object if Red Stripe tek a stand against the crap?

the Red Stripe spokesperson said, "... a very negative trend of glorifying violence has crept into some of the music, causing much consternation among well thinking Jamaicans and others at home and abroad. This has far-reaching and damaging implications for the industry and for the country as a whole," the release stated... While our most recent efforts through the Coalition of Corporate Sponsors have met with some measure of success, some performers continue to propagate, through their live performances, violent and anti-social lyrics..."

The good suffering for the bad thats all. Now instead of calling for those performing offensive music, why not push for them to clean up their act? How much money RS been pumping into Reggae Shows over the year? The people dem have dem image fi protect.
                  "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                    I wonder if there should be a show with Sean Paul, Shaggy and Junior Gong if the promoters would have a problem influencing Red Stripe to sponsor the show? Wait ... as mi hear some idiots pon a radio program this morning ... "dem light skin!" Focking idiots.

Lazie they would sponsor it unless it was held a foriegn. Them say all music event(no so them say?)
                    Thats the start. What drove them to that decision? Mi hear idiots a claim its because Shaggy and Sean "light skinned" ever hear dem a duh nothing offensive yet?

Comment

Thank you solidifying my agruments .........Now deal with yours .((The good suffering for the bad thats all ))

Why didnt Red Stripe say they would support culture Artist ? If they wanted to send a strong message .

Comment

Lazy nothing drove them to the decision, yes the made a decision but a hasty and ill informed one.
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

X,

Even this tune, the SENTIMENT of which I agree with, could be construed as promoting violence...it's not so easy to categorize one music as being morally superior to the next.

Here is a tune i check for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKSvuHFYsw8

pr
                          Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                            X,

Even this tune, the SENTIMENT of which I agree with, could be construed as promoting violence...it's not so easy to categorize one music as being morally superior to the next.

Here is a tune i check for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKSvuHFYsw8

pr
                            I heard its NFFAP in Jamaica.

Comment

At least yuh come straight.... scary but you don't hide.

Associating our culture with Homophobia and declaring your pride..

KKK got nothing on you.

Comment

Hasty ?

Heh, heh.. what yuh call Hasty ?

This was announced in 2005:

"A GROUP OF local companies which has dubbed itself a Coalition of Corporate Sponsors has decided that they will not be sponsoring any entertainment events at which dancehall artistes Beenie Man and Bounty Killer are slated to perform until further notice."

Red Stripe ah try fi work wid di program but at some point yuh haffi put down yuh foot:

Banned in UK

"Two years ago, the company was banned from a leading entertainment chain in the United Kingdom because it sponsored an event in which lyrics glorifying violence were used," Red Stripe's CEO, Mark McKenzie, told members of the Rotary Club of St Andrew in a speech this week.

Last week, Red Stripe, which trades on the Jamaica Stock Exchange as Desnoes and Geddes, announced that it would end its long-standing sponsorship of the 15-year-old music festival, 'Reggae Sumfest', which takes place in August in the north-shore city of Montego Bay.

Despite standing to lose an estimated US$2 million in value as a result of cancelling its headline sponsorship - according to a highly placed executive - Red Stripe said that it could no longer place its reputation "at risk" by being associated with events where violence might be promoted.

While not reversing the decision, Red Stripe this week appeared to have softened its position. McKenzie told the Rotary Club members that the company might still offer some financial support to 'Sumfest', but without the trappings of being a title sponsor.

Comment

Working...
                                X