RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cops close the curtains on a truly enjoyable Western ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cops close the curtains on a truly enjoyable Western ...

Cops close the curtains on a truly enjoyable Western Consciousness
    By Karyl Walker Observer staff reporter walkerk@jamaicaobserver.com
    Monday, April 28, 2008

The 20-year-old Western Consciousness concert was the latest in a string of night-time events to feel the axe of the 2:00 am deadline stipulated under the night noise abatement act, when police officers pulled the plug and ended what was truly an enjoyable night.
    The officers on hand inside the Llandilo Cultural Centre at Savanna-la-Mar in Westmoreland yielded for about half an hour before ending a short, sweet and spicy set by the Doctor, Beenie Man.
    Buju . incensed by the cut-off point
    The fact that it was early morning and the music on offer at Western Consciousness could not be classified as 'noise' seemed to be lost on the cops who coolly but firmly insisted that the curtains must fall.
    Since police commissioner Hardley Lewin issued a decree in March to his officers to enforce the act, promoters have complained that they are hurting financially and some artistes have hailed the move as an attempt to curtail their creativity and earning power.
    The time constraints meant artistes had to rush through the sets in order to allow the billed acts to get a piece of the action.
    Buju Banton, The Gargamel, seemed incensed by the cut-off point and offered a solution during his shortened set.
    Beenie Man . his set was cut short by the actions of the police (Photos: Marlon Reid)
    "Nothing slack nah go on. Them want dance turn off two o'clock? Fine. Whey make dem never think about zoning. You can keep it dehso till 2:00 am but you can keep it dehso and dehso till five? Why them so heavy-handed pan we?" Buju asked to hoots of approval from the audience.
    Buju Banton had been on stage for about 15 minutes and had just begun to break a sweat. It was obvious from his demeanour that he was dragging himself off the stage.
    "This is my job. I love performing for my people. I was just getting warm," Banton told the Observer minutes after his performance, "If there are 2,000 people here then that means 2,000 people who are not involved in crime."
    Show-closer, Beenie Man had worked the crowd into a frenzy and seemed about to raise the tempo to another level when two uniformed officers started making their way onto the stage and looked on with glum expressions. That was the signal that the well-produced and internationally recognised event was about to end.
    The move did not go down well with most patrons who bad-mouthed the police as they trudged out of the venue.
    "Beenie Man shouldn't come off, we woulda back him," one man said angrily.

"We have to work something out. Jamaica's entertainment is a product and events like these draw visitors to our island and they want to party all night. While I do not support the street dance phenomenon which I believe has caused this action, provisions must be found so that people who do legitimate business at these events don't lose on their investments," a concessionaire at the event told the Observer.
    But despite the early end the audience had enough to keep them pleased as artiste after artiste delivered the goods.
    Perhaps the word which best describes rising female chanter, Queen Ifrika, is proud. Flashing her trademark winning smile, Queen Ifrika continued in her rich vein of form and left the audience satisfied.
    If Queen Ifrika was the embodiment of the proud, black woman then Etana was regal and exuded natural talent as she bounded across the Western Consciousness stage and delivered her well-known hits with ease.
    Anthony B was his usual fiery self and kept the flags waving as he reminded that "Rasta nuh clash with man".
    Bushman crooned his baritone with aplomb as he yearned to be "wrapped up in the arm of a woman" while Lutan kept the fire burning with his inimitable style of chanting.
    A resurgent Tony Rebel, grammy award-winning singer Mykal Rose and Hero also pleased.
    While there was more than enough breathing space inside the centre, the promoters of Western Consciousness should take heart from the fact that the event is seen by roots and culture-minded artistes as important to their development.
    The promoters also got passing grades on their handling of parking, band changes and sanitary conveniences.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

I think if a dance or concert is being held AWAY from residential areas, why be so strict? The issue is disturbing those who want a peaceful night's rest.

Another thing promoters may have to do is have less artistes on a concert. Why have 20 artistes performing for 15 minutes when 5 excellent artistes giving 45 to 60 minutes provides for better managing?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

i agree that some common sense should be exercised... if the venue is away from built up areas, or is indoor then why stop the show at 2?

With more acts more man can eat a food ... but why not start the concert earlier? the way I see it many of these don't get under way til close to midnight... or is that just my perception?

pr
      Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
        The issue is disturbing those who want a peaceful night's rest.
        Well, at least that's what I thought!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
          "We have to work something out. Jamaica's entertainment is a product and events like these draw visitors to our island and they want to party all night. While I do not support the street dance phenomenon which I believe has caused this action, provisions must be found so that people who do legitimate business at these events don't lose on their investments," a concessionaire at the event told the Observer.
          Dat's all I've been saying!

Wi have strength fi di promotah but gunman...?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
          X