US citizenship!!!! Morning Mosiah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US citizenship!!!! Morning Mosiah

My US citizenship case differs, says , business or property in the United States," Hay-Webster added. "Treat me as a world citizen."
    It is not yet clear if the government will seek a court ruling on the eligibility of Hay-Webster to sit in Parliament.
    Last week, the prime minister argued that while the JLP could have mounted a similar challenge to the one brought against Vaz, it could be too late to do so now.
    Officials of the Government and the Opposition are expected to meet shortly in an attempt to negotiate a settlement to the crisis over the eligibility of members, which the Golding administration has already warned could lead to an early election. arthur.hall@gleanerjm.com
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Watch Mosiah spin this one.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

What have I said about MPs with farin citizenship?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

She has a valid point. It as easy spin. She in an american by birth. That means that she did not not have to swear alliange to the US in order to get citizenship.

My US citizenship case differs, says Hay-Webster - PNP MP holds US passport, but denies ineligibility for Parliament
        published: Sunday | April 27, 2008

Hay-Webster
        Arthur Hall, Senior Staff Reporter
        SHARON HAY-WEBSTER, the opposition member of parliament identified by government sources as not being qualified to sit in the House of Representatives because of her allegiance to a foreign power, is getting ready for a fight.
        And she has already identified legal counsel for the possible battle, which, she says, she is confident of winning.
        Over the past two weeks, several [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Jamaica[/COLOR][/COLOR] Labour Party (JLP) officials have charged that an opposition member of parliament is in a position similar to government MP Daryl Vaz, who the court booted from the Lower House because of his ties with the United States.
        Null and void
        Last week, JLP leader, Prime Minister Bruce Golding joined those making the allegation, but did not disclose the name of the MP. But other JLP officials told The Sunday Gleaner that the nomination of the 47-year-old Hay-Webster to run as a candidate in last September's general election should also be declared null and void.
        They pointed to the decision of Chief Justice Zalia McCalla who ruled that on nomination day (August 7 last year), Vaz was not qualified to be elected to the House of Representatives and his nomination was invalid, null and void and of no legal effect.
        The chief justice held that although Vaz received his US citizenship through his mother, by renewing and travelling on a United States passport, he acknowledged his allegiance, obedience or adherence to the United States.
        No similarity
        According to the JLP sources, Hay-Webster should be sent packing from the House because she was born in the United States and holds an American passport.
        That is a claim which the South Central St Catherine MP does not deny, but she says that is where any similarity with Vaz ends, arguing that there is no basis on which to challenge the validity of her nomination.
        Hay-Webster says she was born in the United States in 1961. Her mother was born in Haiti and her father was a Jamaican. She was moved to Jamaica as a small child and has lived here ever since.
        Hay-Webster says in the late 1980s, she held a US passport while she was a lecturer at what is now the [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]University[/COLOR][/COLOR] of Technology but never travelled on it for government [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]business[/COLOR][/COLOR].
        "I have travelled on a Jamaican passport, a diplomatic passport and an official passport, but never used a US passport to leave or enter Jamaica," Hay-Webster declared.
        She indicated that 1990 was the first time she travelled out of Jamaica and it was on official business as an employee of the Social Development Commission, which was under the Ministry of Youth and Community Development.
        "Since then, I have travelled to 43 countries including Mali, where I am an Officer of the Order of the Republic."
        Commitment to the country
        Hay-Webster said she applied for Jamaican nationality in 1987 and took the Oath of Allegiance in 1988, which underscores her commitment to the country.
        "I don't have a US [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]social [COLOR=orange! important]security [/COLOR][COLOR=orange! important]number[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], business or property in the United States," Hay-Webster added. "Treat me as a world citizen."
        It is not yet clear if the government will seek a court ruling on the eligibility of Hay-Webster to sit in Parliament.
        Last week, the prime minister argued that while the JLP could have mounted a similar challenge to the one brought against Vaz, it could be too late to do so now.
        Officials of the Government and the Opposition are expected to meet shortly in an attempt to negotiate a [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]settlement[/COLOR][/COLOR] to the crisis over the eligibility of members, which the Golding administration has already warned could lead to an early election. arthur.hall@gleanerjm.com
        The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Time View Post
          She has a valid point. It as easy spin. She in an american by birth. That means that she did not not have to swear alliange to the US in order to get citizenship.
          Neither did Vaz. If she renewed her passport she is in the same boat as Vaz.

Comment

No brethren, in my eyes there are two things. She should not have renewed her passport, and she needed to renounce her American citizenship as well.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

classical hypocracy. Now is it different if you travel on government duty or not?

How long has she been in parliament? The PNP never know her nationality? The woman may turn out to have 3 nationality. Ah well that may not be a problem to me but a di hypocracy. In the PNP rush to get seats and follow behind Daboub them forget to clean there own house.

Now let us see when they will ask her to resign and give up the seat.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

seaga was american by birth too

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

This case may actually be different, now that I've taken the time to read up on it. When I first saw it (before assasin's post), I couldn't care less what her circumstances were. Call me hypocrite all you want, sass and Lazie. Broad backs run in my family too!

However, I would want Sharon to step aside one way or the other. She and Babsy believe that hanging with gunmen is the way to address this donmanship in their constituencies. I am yet to see what sort of success this method has produced. Sharon was on tv the other day appealing for the safe return of Central Village's "influential leader", a 25 yr old man who goes by the nickname Not A Fear. In subsequent news reports, they called him an area don. Surprise!

For her continued association with these persons, she and Babsy need to step, citizen of the USA or not!
                  Last edited by Mosiah; April 28, 2008, 10:04 AM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I thought I was supposed to be doing the spinning!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

explain the difference to me.

The only difference I see is the PNP is in opposition and wouldn't mind get a seat or two and that Daboub want to sack it to the JLP and win at any cost.

Comment

Can't help yuh, sass. Your verdant mind will never allow you to understand it.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

maybe not but the least you could do is share the method you use to come to your judgement.

Comment

Assasin, it is not difficult to see a few differences. The question is, even after I explain it, will your verdant mind accept it?

For one, it appears that she has never renewed her US passport that she received on account of her being born there. Second, when others were pledging allegiance to farin countries, either verbally or by renewing their passports, she took it upon herself to seek Jamaican nationality and pledge allegiance to this country!

I believe she did this because she had political ambitions, but others had such ambitions too. Why didn't they do what they had to do?

Of course, a lot more could be revealed regarding Hay-Webster, but given this report, the cases are hugely different!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                              Assasin, it is not difficult to see a few differences. The question is, even after I explain it, will your verdant mind accept it?

For one, it appears that she has never renewed her US passport that she received on account of her being born there. Second, when others were pledging allegiance to farin countries, either verbally or by renewing their passports, she took it upon herself to seek Jamaican nationality and pledge allegiance to this country!

I believe she did this because she had political ambitions, but others had such ambitions too. Why didn't they do what they had to do?

Of course, a lot more could be revealed regarding Hay-Webster, but given this report, the cases are hugely different!
                              Snicker!!!!
                              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
                              X