X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharpton to close NY

Sharpton vows to 'close this city' after officer acquittals

By VERENA DOBNIK, Associated Press Writer2 hours, 36 minutes ago

Hundreds of angry people marched through Harlem on Saturday after the Rev. Al Sharpton promised to "close this city down" to protest the acquittals of three police detectives in the 50-shot barrage that killed a groom on his wedding day and wounded two friends.
    "We strategically know how to stop the city so people stand still and realize that you do not have the right to shoot down unarmed, innocent civilians," Sharpton told an overflow crowd of several hundred people at his National Action Network office in the historically black Manhattan neighborhood. "This city is going to deal with the blood of Sean Bell."
    Sharpton was joined by the family of 23-year-old Sean Bell — a black man — and a friend of Bell who was wounded in the 2006 shooting outside a Queens strip club. Two of the three officers charged were also black.
    The rally at Sharpton's office was followed by a 20-block march down Malcolm X Boulevard and then across 125th Street, Harlem's main business thoroughfare, where some bystanders yelled out "Kill the police!"
    Fifty of the marchers carried white placards bearing big black numbers for each of the police bullets fired at Bell and his friends.
    Sharpton urged people to return for a meeting this coming week "to plan the day that we will close this city down" with the kind of "massive civil disobedience" once led by Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.
    "They never accused Sean Bell of doing anything. Then why is he dead?" Sharpton asked, his voice roaring with anger. Authorities "have shown now that they will not hold police accountable. Well, guess what? If you won't, we will!"
    "Shut it down! Shut it down!" the crowd chanted, standing up and applauding wildly.
    Sharpton didn't say exactly how they would protest the acquittals of the officers who fired the 50 shots. He said Bell's supporters could demonstrate all over the city, from Wall Street to the home of Justice Arthur Cooperman, who on Friday acquitted the three detectives after a nonjury trial.
    Sitting behind Sharpton as he spoke were Bell's parents, his sister and Nicole Paultre Bell, who took her fiance's name after his death.
    "The justice system let me down," Paultre Bell told the crowd in a soft voice. "April 25, 2008: They killed Sean all over again. That's what it felt like to us."
    It was her first public comment since she stormed out of a courtroom Friday after the NYPD detectives were cleared in Bell's killing as he left his bachelor party.
    One of Bell's companions, Joseph Guzman, also spoke briefly on Saturday, saying: "We've got a long fight."
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Whats this going to achieve? The NYPD is still going to do their "duty".
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

He's going to do something to create havoc in the city during the morning or evening rush hour. He is pushing to get the justice department involved for a federal civil rights investigation.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Something must be done, whatever it is, and we should be grateful to Sharpton for doing something. The rest of us just talk.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          Something must be done, whatever it is, and we should be grateful to Sharpton for doing something. The rest of us just talk.
          don't misunderstand ... Sharpton's efforts are appreciated, however, didn't he march when other unarmed men got murdered and when the killers walked?
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Yes, and if we have to walk 100 more times, we will. I'm sure all the marches are different and will focus on different things. Others are free to demonstrate their displeasure with the verdict. I can bet Obama won't even touch it!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

This is a bomb ready to explode for Obama.

The Angry blackman syndrome and the fact that he can't isolate himself from the civil rights leader right now.

I know some reporter can't wait fi ask him what him think bout Sean Bell.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Don't be naive Mosiah, Obama is not running for President of Harlem. If a low-life reporter does bring this up, I expect a thoughtful response.

Comment

And they should! Tired of some black leaders hiding from the issues that make white people uncomfortable.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Harlem? This is about Harlem?!? Talk about naive!

Lincoln should have said Atlanta is not the USA.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

by the way it happen in Queens before unnu go off pon a different subject.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Are you for real?

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                        by the way it happen in Queens before unnu go off pon a different subject.
                        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

you are out of your mind... whats this going to achieve? imagine if everyone before us had this same attitude, like you've expressed, we would still be legally relegated to the back of the bus... shameful...
                          'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

i mean, lazie has a history of making questionable comments and many times demonstate a myopic thought process on some issues... however, this recent attitudinal expression of his is sickeningly outrageous...
                            'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
                              you are out of your mind... whats this going to achieve? imagine if everyone before us had this same attitude, like you've expressed, we would still be legally relegated to the back of the bus... shameful...
                              My post isn't a knock at Sharpton ... the fact is despite the numerous marches the death Squad aka the NYPD carry on with their "duty."

About 2 years ago there was a shootout with a man who of course isn't black. It was said he had killed a state trooper. They eventually cornered him in a house and was negotiating with him to surrender... he set the house on fire and died in there. Note it later came to public knowledge that the officer was killed by friendly fire.

I made a post last week that showed between 1999 and last year, it is a continuous trend and with the exception of one "officer", they killers always walk free.

The dude in the house had a gun and was shooting at the police but they didn't see the need to use excessive force. All the victims listed last week were unarmed and I'm yet to hear what Bell and his friends did. Like it or not Baddaz, the NYPD will simply carry on with their duty.

Comment

Working...
                              X