Employment agency refuses to hire Rastafarian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment agency refuses to hire Rastafarian

Discrimination is still obviously present in Jamaica, more so in the world of employment.
    A report recently came to THE STAR that an employment agency in Kingston was refusing to offer employment to persons who are Rastafarians.

One victim of this act of discrimination, Mary Luisa* Rastafarian, contacted THE STAR with her story. She was quite distraught. She told us that on April 7, she went in search of a job at an employment agency - Advance Rental and Employment Agencies - on Eastwood Park Road, where she distinctly told the attendant that she did not have any computer skills and was looking for a menial job such as a cook, office helper or a chamber maid.

Menial jobs
    Luis stated that when she asked about the cooking job, the attendant told her that there was none available. However, to Luis' surprise, when she asked about other menial jobs the attendant clearly told her that "we nuh gi Rasta work." Luis went on to ask her why and was told, "nuthing, wi jus nuh gi Rasta work."

Luissaid that at that point she realised that the attendant was serious about her statement as she did not relent on her stance nor seemed apologetic. She then decided to leave the agency still maintaining her calm.
    "If discriminating against a person because of their hairstyle is not wrong, what else can I say. Discrimination is a crime," Luis said.

After Luis made her report to us, THE STAR visited the agency to investigate the matter. We were also outrightly told by the attendant that Rastafarians are not permitted to sign up with the agency. The attendant said "placing them (Rastafarians) is very challenging, as employers do not want Rastafarians as workers".

When THE STAR contacted the Ministry of Labour on the issue, we were told by the administrator, Toussaint Gardener, that "no complaints have been made concerning discrimination against religious beliefs when searching for jobs and that the agency would not be at fault since it's the employers that facilitate the discrimination. However, the agency should have explained the reason behind its refusal of employment."
    He also went on to say that the agency was registered with the Ministry of Labour and he wanted to apologise on behalf of the agency and would investigate the matter further
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Sleeping one night when the father vision I sey I want you to be another follower of I..Nat up yuh hair...

Is not that Sizzla has a surreal fascination with guns why....,but Rasta as a whole anticipates the day baldheads with declare all-out war....
    Our attributing the rasta perspective to the consequence of an overly active imagination is largely because of our inability to identify with...

Blessed

Comment

Working...
    X