On the topic of hints...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the topic of hints...

..the PM has not only shown dissent but a willingness to change the rulings of a court. And of course, it is unseating an opposition MP under the guise of protecting people right to choose.
    That is why it was important to recognize the JLP having some responsibility for the mess.
    Having said that, the question is does the PM have the right to toss the issue to John Public?

PM hints at snap election if Dabdoub victorious
    BY BALFORD HENRY Observer writer balfordh@jamaicaobserver.com
    Thursday, April 24, 2008

PRIME Minister Bruce Golding indicated yesterday that he would call fresh general elections, rather than allow former People's National Party (PNP) candidate for West Portland, Abe Dabdoub, to enter Parliament on the basis of a court ruling.
    Dabdoub. challenging ruling by court
    "I am not going to allow anybody to sit in Parliament who was rejected by the people at the polls, through some technicality," Golding told a post-budget press briefing at Jamaica House.
    He said that his majority in the House of Representatives was not a concern to him. He gave the example of Prime Minister of Grenada, Dr Keith Mitchell, who has been in power for the past four years with a majority of one.
    "The size of the majority is not what worries me," the prime minister said. "What would give me concern is if that majority becomes uncertain."
    "I can't run a Government where I do not know at what point I will have to be distracted from the job of administering the affairs of Government, to go and look on the political side to see exactly what is happening with this member, or that member," he said.
    He said that there are challenges that his Jamaica Labour Party(JLP) could have mounted against PNP MPs but did not.
    "So, in that respect, the Opposition has an advantage on us. They have mounted challenges, we haven't. And in our case, the time for mounting those challenges might be up," he added.
    "One thing I will say to you though, and this is perhaps the only thing I can speak to with a kind of absolute definitiveness, is that I am not going to allow anybody to sit in Parliament who was rejected by the people at the polls, through some technicality," he went on.
    "If the people voted and said, we want John Brown, we do not want Thomas Smith, I am not allowing Thomas Smith to come and sit in that Parliament purely on the basis of some legal or constitututional technicality. That is when, I believe, I would have to exercise my options in the protection of the people and their democracy."
    Earlier, the prime minister pointed out that if the Constitution is to be amended it would require, at least, a minimum of six months to do so. He said that the question is, what to do in the meantime.
    He said that the matter could be settled either by the court, or by political action but refused to go any further.
    "It is a problem even today as we speak. It affects both sides of the House,"he said.
    He said that the ruling of Chief Justice Zaila McCalla that, even if the person has not sworn allegiance to a foreign country, but has secured and travelled on that country's passport, implies allegiance, has raised problems for more MPs that originally thought.
    He said that he was not aware of any of the JLP candidates being American citizens prior to the Vaz issue.

the question is does the PM have the right to toss the issue to John Public?

that you should ask first and the answer is Yes. There is nothing in the constitution that tell a siting Prime Minister when aand on what issue to call an election as far as I know.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

So the JLP got a meager 3,000 more votes than the PNP in the last election, and Golding is hinting that he may role the dice?

Mek him gwaan, he may be the shortest ruling PM in the history of Jamaica
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

then so be it.

i agree wih him.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Golding is bluffing....18 years of living in the wilderness was not enough?
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

The PNP must be having a nervous breakdown.

Bruce Golding is not power hungry and he is talking directly to the people and is actually doing something.

They haven't been able to corner him yet and somehow he seems to always gain the upper hand in these debates.

I think most people will agree with him and on the election platform he can call out the PNP names that are also dual citizens.

The PNP better trod carefully and don't let a vindictive Abe Daboub draw them down. Remember last year he literally accused the PNP of stealing from NDM?
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

he might be....but i agree that an election should be called in those circumstances.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                Golding is bluffing....18 years of living in the wilderness was not enough?
                Are you aware that the cases before the courts could change which side has the majority in Parliament? Either way, an election is possible.
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Well if it determined that the JLP(led by Golding)is(along with Vaz)blameworthy...,would that change anything? Again, we are talking unseating a mp from the opposition party, one that was successful in unseating the contoversial MP...by way of the courts?
                  Again, it is changing what the courts deemed justified and appropriate.

Blessed

Comment

Are you suggesting that should be considered?

Blessed

Comment

on the issue of a technicality? YES!!

Comment

I don't think he is bluffing. The PNP broke, fighting internally and Golding is rising, if they continue why not call an election, you have the chance to silence them.

let me tell you mi have PNP socalist friend in America who use hate Golding called me and say a him a di man because of his free education and Heathcare and two a dem tell me if election call and Golding lose them a write off Jamaica.

Comment

Interesting, when the agents of the Govt went to TG and took care of matters that looks like propping Dudus up, didn't the PM say leave it to the investigation, leave it to the courts? An appreciation for the system!

Blessed

Comment

there is a disconnect there. if he calls election loses the PEOPLE would have made the decision, not the courts like what happened in 2000 in america

Comment

isn't that something totally different?

The Elections are not bound by the courts. The Prime Minister choose when to call it. You expect Golding to lead by good faith but Daboub not to?

What you are suggesting is a constitution overall that Bruce Golding support to take some of that power out of the hand of the Prime Minister. Over the last 18 years Portia Simpson and PJ Patterson has toyed with calling elections and has use it to taunt the opposition then so how is that fair?

Comment

Working...
                              X