Bunting challenges Shaw's claim of 'sweetheart deal'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bunting challenges Shaw's claim of 'sweetheart deal'

TEMPERS FLARED and a verbal clash ensued between Government and Opposition members inside Gordon House yesterday, during Finance Minister Audley Shaw's closing presentation in the 2008/2009 Budget Debate.

Shaw charged that the previous administration entered into a sweetheart deal with investment firm Dehring, Bunting and Golding in 2004, an allegation that enraged Opposition spokesman on industry and commerce, Peter Bunting, who was chairman of the entity at the time.
    The finance minister went on to give details about the transaction, at which time Bunting, shouting across the floor of the House, challenged Shaw to step outside the chamber of Parliament and repeat the allegations without parlia-mentary privilege.

Names forthcoming
    Speaking with The Gleaner after yesterday's sitting of Parliament, Bunting said: "I challenge Mr Shaw to prove that he is not a coward ... by repeating exactly what he said in relation to those alleged sweetheart deals. Go outside of the House and then endure the consequences."
    Shaw also told the House that he would shortly be announcing the names of persons who would be presiding over the commission of enquiry into the Financial Sector Adjustment Company Ltd (FINSAC), which was established in the 1990s to handle the financial sector crisis. During that time, FINSAC took over scores of financial entities, selling their assets at reduced prices.

Prejudiced treatment
    More controversy erupted when Shaw claimed that borrowers from the failed financial entities, including individual mortgagors, companies and other business entities, were treated differently, depending on their connection.

He said some had loans reduced or written off while others were forced to pay high interest rates.

When Shaw sought to provide a specific example, former finance minister and Opposition finance spokesman, Dr Omar Davies, rose on a point of order. He said the finance minister was misleading the House and should, therefore, withdraw his remarks.
    Davies said the sale of the bad loan portfolio came after a public invitation to bid, and anyone was free to bid for that bad loan portfolio.
    edmond.campbell@gleanerjm.com
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

All now him nuh deny it. The numbers don't lie Bunting. Man pon the forum hang onto Bunting's every word ... seems he is just another typical PNP MP.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Bunting thing him slick. Him want to use the Manley tactic, tie up the minister in court and as long as the issue is before the courts the minister may be gagged by the court.

Comment

yuh seet?

i spoke to someone yesterday who was intimately involved with the pnp from the 70's and on the question of the free education which was announced by Manley in 1974, he said that it was an overnight response by Manley because of some intiative that seaga had proposed and Manley's thinking was "we have to do something to counter this". the decision was made without consulting the ministry of finance!

funny how politics works sometimes.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

All well and good, gamma, but when Seaga became prime minister the first thing he did was to get rid of it. Was that to spite Manley?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Nice way to put it. Shaw is a cowardly scandal monger. He will get his!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

most likely! i am 100% in favour of free education and completely at odds with the revocation by seaga.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

It matters to you if there is any truth to it?
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Shaw is smart enough not to get himself baited to make those accusations outside parliament. Bunting's ranting is not worthy of a response.
                  Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Is this a rhetorical question? Where best can the truth come out - in parliament or in court?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I understand the sentiment. Some of us use this very forum as our own little parliament.

That's why sometimes mi not even bodda respond to some people.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

or the ballot?

Comment

no.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

how so I am asking your opinion.
                            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

therefore anywhere yuh tun maka juk yuh!

Comment

Working...
                              X