• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time For Talk

TIME FOR TALK JLP, PNP to discuss dual citizenship crisis
    Golding says early election could be called

published: Thursday | April 24, 2008

Arthur Hall, Senior Staff Reporter

OFFICIALS OF the governing Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) and the Opposition People's National Party (PNP) could meet shortly to try to resolve the crisis surrounding the eligibility of some sitting members of parliament (MP).

PNP President Portia Simpson Miller has already indicated her willingness to discuss a settlement, and yesterday Prime Minister Bruce Golding announced he had mandated the party's general secretary, Karl Samuda, to enter into discussions with the Opposition.

However, if the two parties fail to agree and the courts rule that any seat should be taken away from a victorious JLP candidate and handed to a defeated PNP representative, the stage would be set for an early general election.

Looming possibility Responding to questions during a post- Budget press briefing at Jamaica House yesterday, Golding, the JLP leader, left no doubt that early election was an option he would consider.

With political analysts arguing that the ruling in the Vaz v Dabdoub case left the Government with no option but to call a general election, the prime minister gave the clearest indication yet that such a possibility looms.

According to Golding, he was not aware that any JLP candidate was in breach of the constitutional requirements that members of parliament should not have sworn allegiance to any foreign power.

Not a cause for concern
    He said other members of his party facing challenges about their eligibility might want to have their day in court and are so entitled. The prime minister seemed in a fighting mood as he declared that the size of the Government's majority was not a cause for concern.

"My friend Dr Keith Mitchell has been heading the government in Grenada for the past four years with a majority of one and, when I see him, he doesn't seem to be anybody who is under any stress," Golding argued. "What would give me concern is if that majority becomes uncertain. I can't run a government where I do not know at what point I will be distracted from the affairs of government to go and look at the political side," he added.

The people's decision He charged that the JLP could have mounted challenges against victorious PNP candidates, including one person who is in a similar position to that of Daryl Vaz, having received United States (US) citizenship by birth, but travelling on a US passport.

While not naming the opposition MP, Golding vowed not to allow any defeated candidate to take a seat in the House of Representatives. His reference was a clear knock at the PNP's Abe Dabdoub, who is expected to head to the Court of Appeal in an attempt to have the West Portland seat handed to him instead of going to a by-election, as ruled by Chief Justice Zaila McCalla.

"This is perhaps the only thing that I can speak to with the kind of absolute definitiveness - that I am not going to allow anybody to sit in Parliament who was rejected by the people at the polls," Golding said.

Open for dialogue
    But even as he drew his line in the sand, the Prime Minister was clear that the door remained open for dialogue with the Opposition. Members of the PNP have publicly said they are ready to face the electorate at any time, but have quietly admitted that administratively and financially they are not in a position to contest a general election.

In her Budget presentation, Simpson Miller had dared the Government to "bring on the election", but added that "The Opposition stands ready to respond in a constructive manner, inclusive of dialogue with the Government, to ensure that the best interests of the country and its people are protected."

arthur.hall@gleanerjm.com
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X