X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dancehall for the dunce

Dancehall for the 'Dunce'
    Kandré McDonald, Freelance Writer

The current crop of dancehall music is nothing but 'crap' which seemed to be aimed at the illiterate. While I have only being directly involved in the entertainment arena for just six years, I am an avid reader and a lover of music who have seen the dancehall genre deteriorating rapidly.
    Dancehall music has moved away from being an art form, thanks to the set of illiterate warmongers who label themselves 'artistes'. The dancehall has transformed into a tracing session for selectors who act like sissies and for 'homophobic' young men who spend the wee hours of the morning dancing with each other.

Lacks creativity
    The music is poor and lacks creativity. Everyone now sings about their guns, sex, murder and homosexuality. The rhythms all sound similar and the lyrical content expressed in them speaks volumes of 'dunce-ness'.
    The sketel syndrome and the bleach-out face act, that suppresses self-confidence, has become a major part of the dancehall. I will argue that these did not just start happening overnight but is directly linked to the lacklustre lyrics being sung by our current crop of 'noise makers'.
    How can one justify musical events being kept in the street impeding vehicular and pedestrian traffic, the use of firearm at these events, or the lewd lyrics by disc jockeys and artistes? How does one 'squeeze breast like the trigger of a gun?' When since Rastafarianism has become akin to gangsterism? Why do many young artistes think that the only way to 'buss' is starting a clash and hopefully winning it?

Real life
    I am appalled by artistes who continue to say that they sing about what is happening around them and then record a song that says something like: "If a bwoy diss mi, him marrow ago fly, rise up the AK dem high, high, high."
    Ninety-five per cent of the music being produced under the label dancehall is total rubbish that should not have been written or uttered. The constant beeping out of lyrics on the radio should not be happening as this is somewhat of an insult to the listening public who is quite aware of what is being beeped out.
    Many of our current artistes are destroying the music. I wish there was a way to ban them from ever singing, similar to how we can ban them from travelling.
    I would also like to express something that journalist Ian Boyne said in a recent column: "We must save the dancehall, for it is worth saving, as many fine artistes inhabit that space. We owe it to them. Let's take it back from the miscreants."
    The relevant authorities and the media need to step in so that these dunces will stop having such a huge impact on our children and society as a whole. We need to stop glorifying 'dunce music' and label it dancehall. Music across all genres is deteriorating worldwide, however dancehall seem to be leading the pack. Comments at brutalbraf@yahoo.com.

'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Bricktop, over to you sir. . .
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

The current crop sing a lot more about guns, but the music was never that literate or politically correct. Super Cat, Ninja Man, Bounty, Dirtsman, Panhead, Cobra sang bout the same thing. Hot gal, bad boy, herbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
        The dancehall has transformed into a tracing session for selectors who act like sissies and for 'homophobic' young men who spend the wee hours of the morning dancing with each other.

Comment

The sound clashes between selectors has been around from the early days of the music in the 50s. Coxsone Dodd & Duke Reid operated rival sound systems and would clash with each other many years ago.

The producers could be a little more creative, and now I am hearing them making small edits to their riddims from the 80s & 90s, and then re-releasing those tunes.

American rappers often make two versions of their songs, one for radio and one for those who like rawness. Dancehall artists should follow their example. The digitally edited dancehall tunes that are played on radio are a bit annoying with the bleeped cussing.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Duncehall music?

True words. Too much trash out there.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
              Bricktop, over to you sir. . .
              I just ignore these people and their foolishness nowadays. Violence and sex in dancehall? My word. Why didn't this clown have a problem with dancehall 18 years ago when the topics were, you guessed it, guns, girls and ganja? Sure there is a lot of garbage in Dancehall just as there always was so you just sift through what you like and discard the rest. To quote an artist who got this same fight 20 years ago and went on to conquer the world:

"Dem a talk how mi slack and how me dirty/
              but yuh neva see mi face inna no blue movie/
              Where does slackness come from/
              Mi nuh know but a mi dem waan put di blame pon/
              Wrong don/"

Comment

cant disagree.

Comment

So wha OJ you dont go to ron nelson or lindo P in toronto?

Comment

Ron is a just come to reggae or dance hall. I would consider myself as been at the forefront when dance was dance and you lift up the wax and flip it and people like briggy Louie rankin, toyan ect work the mike. Ron and dem youth deh just jump on the waggon. As a matter of fact I remember when those guys were anti-reggae and while they should eat a food they are part of the problem as they dont filter out the rubbish. They just boost up the almshouse in the music. Lindo is a youth who have talented but the big man dem in the T.O scene is Rosa from Soul to Soul. Ian the music master formerly RoadStar, the res of them is thug vibes and the movado bulls-h-i-t. I more into the club scene and grown folks thing.

Comment

Ron used to be anti reggae this is news!!! ..... I know ron was a hiphop Dj in late 80's early 90's he also used to give dancehall a spin...

So no fire kid steele and them guys lord OJ yuh sound like ah oldman dread ..

I guess this is your style
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_omwBW8isoA

Comment

Working...
                      X