• Show
Clear All

• Finsac's ruined lives

Finsac's ruined lives

HEART TO HEART
    Betty Ann Blaine
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Dear Reader,
    In addition to youth and children, Jamaica's entrepreneurial class now occupies a top spot on the list of endangered species. It seems to me that the surest way to personal and financial ruin is for anyone to have ventured into business, and the Finsac story is not only at the root of the problem, but represents the most vicious assault this country has ever seen on men and women, many of them over 60 years old who dared to dream and dared to try.

After years of private pain the group, now named the Association of Finsac'd Entrepreneurs, has gone public, and the stories are as shocking as they are heart-wrenching. I'm told that even now, the tale of the destruction will not be complete, and the reason for that is that several of Finsac's victims didn't wait to be destroyed by government. At least four of them are reported to have committed suicide. It's quite possible that the full story may never be told.

It is believed that the total number of "Finsac'd" people is approximately 30,000 - men and women who prior to the financial meltdown led fruitful and productive lives. Here's how one gentleman tells the story:
    "It started in 1995 when I successfully secured a contract to build transformers for a major light and power company. My own company was, and still is, the only entity in Jamaica, the Caribbean and Central America that manufactured transformers. In order to carry out the contract, I secured a line of credit from one of the leading commercial banks for $24 million. Near the end of completion of the work, the contracting company decided to change the specifications regarding the "load loss test" for the transformers. It was not possible to change the specifications at that time, so we began talking.

"As a result, the light and power company decided to buy only 532 of the close to 1,800 transformers, and naturally that placed us in a precarious position with the lending institution. In the meantime, the lending institution crashed and my loan was transferred to another commercial bank, but with the purchase of the 532 transformers I had been able to service the loan. At the time that Finsac came into the picture, my loan balance was approximately J$12 million.

"It was 1997 when I became a victim of Finsac. By the time the Texas firm bought the debt from government, I was told that what I owed was $44 million. After negotiation, we finally settled on a figure of $50 million, which included interests and other charges. The contract was drawn up. I was to pay an initial lump sum, and the balance in payments over a period of time. Little did I know that the nightmare had just begun.

"When the contract was returned for signing, I noticed that there was a clause on the back of the document that stipulated that five years after the completion of payments, the overseas entitiy had the right to claim whatever might have been omitted from the contract. I realised that the clause was untenable, so I objected, and they agreed to take it back to Texas for review and for possible modification.

"Before the contract could be amended, the portfolio was taken over by the current entity, and without any notice, they mounted a raid on my business place in 2006. It was early morning, and I was having breakfast with my son when a worker called to say that a group of men, including policemen and the receiver, had stormed into the plant and were chasing the workers out. The workers quoted some of the men as saying: 'Leave now. No more transformers not making here. We taking everything.' But that was only the beginning of my destruction.

"About nine months later, a second raid was mounted on another one of my business places - a freehold entity that manufactured pre-fab transformers for my main company. The freehold company was not collateralised under Finsac.

Over a two- to three-week period, the receiver took away 26 trailer loads of pre-fab transformer components. During that time, our lawyers were able to secure an injunction barring them from removing anything else from the property. By the time we had that it hand, however, the 26 trailer loads of materials were gone and in the process, they destroyed 1,368 transformers and spilled over 25,000 gallons of oil on the property. The total loss is estimated to be approximately $1 billion. After confiscating and destroying my assets valued at about J$1 billion, they tell me I still owe them $71 million."

As the interviewer, I sat across the table listening earnestly to this distinguished-looking gentleman. His gentle face and grey hair reminded me of my father who has already passed on. I apologised for asking his age, but I felt it was important to know. He gracefully smiled and said, "I am 78 years old, and I am a deacon in the Roman Catholic Church."

I fought back the tears, I didn't want to add to his emotional state. As we walked out together, I kept asking myself, what manner of people would destroy another human being this way?
    With love,
    bab2609@yahoo.com
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

This is so sad.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It's tough to lose!
      ...but in life there is always the taking of risk.

Strange but I get the feeling the letter writer does not want us to dwell on the modification of the 'purchase order' from an initial order of 1800 transformers to 532; the inability to service debt...

...and leaves us in the dark on what could be euphemistically called the 'loan documents'?

The Jamaica I knew allowed me to walk into a bank...and having firm acquaintances with the authority to approve loans walk out with whatever loans I desired above signatures on 'little pieces of paper'.

Many were the loans given with collateral of...not wing...but "wind and a prayer"! Not unexpectedly many "went up in flames". Can't help wondering what were the contractural obligaions 'attached' to the gentle 78 year old astute (?) businessman's 'purchase order' that outlined obligations of the entity that gave that 'purchase order'? When the 'purchase order' was being altered...not being honoured in its entirety...as fact, not being honoured...what safeguards where in his hands that would allow him to recover outlay and serve as his guarantee to effect servicing of his debt?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah bwoy? ...but it is still tough!
      Last edited by Karl; April 22, 2008, 11:30 AM.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Someting wong here -

"In order to carry out the contract, I secured a line of credit from one of the leading commercial banks for $24 million. Near the end of completion of the work, the contracting company decided to change the specifications regarding the "load loss test" for the transformers. It was not possible to change the specifications at that time, so we began talking.

"As a result, the light and power company decided to buy only 532 of the close to 1,800 transformers, and naturally that placed us in a precarious position with the lending institution."

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          Someting wong here -

"In order to carry out the contract, I secured a line of credit from one of the leading commercial banks for $24 million. Near the end of completion of the work, the contracting company decided to change the specifications regarding the "load loss test" for the transformers. It was not possible to change the specifications at that time, so we began talking.

"As a result, the light and power company decided to buy only 532 of the close to 1,800 transformers, and naturally that placed us in a precarious position with the lending institution."
          Yuh seit tuh?
          Nuh sin-ting left hout! Would the 'man in the street' be encouraged to believe and claim..."what a wiked Omar Davies and wiked-ah PNP?

...that is why I call letters such as these dishonest and lying!
          ...a bet yuh nuff nuff sumadi tink betta a Betty?
          Last edited by Karl; April 22, 2008, 11:30 AM.

Comment

mi done talk. When people talk unnu think a politics.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

What is not wrong is he borrowed the money to carry out regular business transaction which is done everyday and them flip the script on him several times.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                mi done talk. When people talk unnu think a politics.

Read the letter again and you will see that this is "not on the up and up". In fact, it suggests that the gentleman may have bitten off more than he could chew...and thus by and of himself...put himself in the position in which he found himself!

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                  Read the letter again and you will see that this is "not on the up and up". In fact, it suggests that the gentleman may have bitten off more than he could chew...and thus by and of himself...put himself in the position in which he found himself!
                  Him biting off more than he can chew warrants the treatment that he received?

It is a regular occurrence that Entrepreneurs take out credit to facilitate expansion and end up failing.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                    What is not wrong is he borrowed the money to carry out regular business transaction which is done everyday and them flip the script on him several times.
                    Where do you see any script being flipped on him? Surely you are not speaking of his loan being acquired by sucessive lending institutions? That is normal run of the mill...always possible...activity.

What do you care about who holds the note on your loan...when terms and conditions you approved are constant? In JA parlance - yuh business iff yuh car note or mortgage note or business loan move from "A" financial institution through to "Z"?

The moving of the loan from financial institution "A" to financial institution "B"...was not the problem. His problem was not being able to satisfy his obligations.
                    Last edited by Karl; April 22, 2008, 11:31 AM.

Comment

you forgot one simple factor.

A same thing a happen in America yah now, nuff people can't honor their obligations. What you certainly are not taking in consideration the economic downturn which took place. It is also normal that Banks are taken over but is it normal that a bank like Bear Sterns or Countrywide are given away? Is it normal for inflation to go through the roof at the same time the dollar droping by as much 60% of its value?

If that ever happen in America all a we FART.

Comment

When them done them big up Lee Chin and Butch.

If Butch failed when he tried his first Hotel them would wonder why the hell man who a do Air conditioner a go venture inna hotel.

The man not even borrow to start nothing new but use it to run his business. If this is a case of over reaching maybe him shouldn't inna business, him fi go look government work.

Comment

Sass, there are times yuh fi step back and watch the jokers duh dem ting. Mi see man claim how Finsac was a solution to a problem ....
                          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
                            Him biting off more than he can chew warrants the treatment that he received?

It is a regular occurrence that Entrepreneurs take out credit to facilitate expansion and end up failing.
                            Tell me how you expect to be treated if you cannot fulfill and or meet your obligations?

i) Should there be demand for payment?

ii) ...and what if a personal guarantee for the loan by the 'gentle 78 year old man' was a condition for approval and disbursement?

Boss...is it not before you 'dive in' that you should know your obligations?

...and if you decide the risk was worth taking...and you lose...should you be man enough to live by what you with open eyes jumped into? ...why come when you lose, crying - poor me?!

It was no damn "poor me"! You had the 'balls' to take the plunge. You should be, based on 'cold assessment', either respected for having 'the balls' to take plunge...

....or if the assessment showed the effort had not a chance in hell of succeeding and may have been fool-hardy rightly told that was "not such a good move".

In any case - Get up off yuh backside...wipe yuh behind and get going again. After all is said and done...not one penny of what we 'make' shall go with us into the after-life.

Comment

Well it was a tried solution and it worked well for the government but not the businessmen who were involved.

We had the quickest turn around in stopping the downturn but unlike other countries who were in the same bout the private sector was dead and hasn't been rebuilt 10 years later.

Comment

Working...
                              X