• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The business of politics

The business of politics
    Lloyd B Smith
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008

"Politics is about who gets what, where and when." - Attributed to former PNP general secretary and cabinet minister, Maxine Henry-Wilson, currently a member of parliament.

Today, when Jamaica Labour Party leader, Prime Minister Orette Bruce Golding, makes his debut budget speech in Gordon House, it is widely expected that he will seek to convince the people of Jamaica by his utterances that he is indeed their chief servant. He will try to do so by announcing those policies, programmes and projects that are supposed to be in the best interest of the people. Indeed, as Finance and Planning Minister Audley Shaw has reiterated during his budget presentation, "Development with equity - The people at the centre of our concern".

But is it really the people's business? In real terms as well as historically, Jamaica's politics (or is it "politricks"?) has been posited on the basis of "room for rent, apply within, when I move out, you move in". It all started way back in the 1940s when two cousins, Sir Alexander Bustamante and Norman Manley, whether wittingly or unwittingly, created the two warring tribes known as the Jamaica Labour Party (Labourites) and the People's National Party (Comrades). Up to the 1980s they, for the most part, moved in and out of Gordon House on a two-term basis. This has since changed, but not much otherwise as far as the body politic is concerned.
    In the meantime, there has been an unwritten rule that whichever party is in power (PIP), then it is expected that it will stick to the tenet of "parson christen 'im pickney first". It has also been the case whereby on government project sites there should be a 60:40 ratio in terms of job distribution in favour of the party-in-power supporters. So when all is said and done, the fight for scarce benefits and spoils is continuing unabated between the two tribes that seem to be perpetually at war.

Against this background, the harsh reality is that in Jamaica, what really keeps the sputtering engine of growth going is the underground economy and the business of politics. For sure, both are inextricably bound. That is why cronyism, clientelism, nepotism, "bandooloosim" and "samfieism" are so rampant in the society, regardless of which party is in power.

Even as a seemingly well-intentioned Bruce Golding faces the nation today to deal with the people's business, the scrimmage for scarce benefits and spoils continues unabated. Now, it is perfectly understood that when one party is in power then it is expected that its supporters will be the first in line and the prime minister is more than likely to make appointments, for the most part, of people who are more than willing and ready to "sing the same sankey at Belmont Road". But should this happen in every case? Should cronyism supersede competence? And what of going to the vulgar extreme of excluding Oppositon supporters from even attending official functions? In my neck of the woods, Montego Bay, I have attended a few official functions recently and there was hardly any PNP person in the room. My investigations have revealed that those who are in charge of sending out invitations have set out deliberately to exclude anyone who is perceived as being a comrade or a PNP sympathiser. Is this right? Is this acceptable?

I daresay that as bad as things were during the PNP regime, it was not as bad as it is now on the social scene. JLP supporters and bigwigs could be seen at many PNP government-related functions. I suspect that having been out in the wilderness for over 18 years, Labourites are now going for the whole hog! But is this good for nation-building which can only be achieved in the final analysis on the basis of consensus and cooperation? Then again, there is a vicious set out there whom I have dubbed "Labourites Against Persons Who Criticise Bruce Golding" that is extremely intolerant of anything or anyone that is not dyed in green.

One such bigot recently sent me a poison-pen email in which she proudly stated that she was glad that as part of the "brown skin minority" Bruce Golding was now in charge and will keep you "damn n i g g e r s" in line! Well, this "n i g g e r" does not intend to sit back and allow anyone to divest me of my dignity, self-respect and democratic rights as a Jamaican citizen who does not hold a United States or any other passport. "I man born ya and I man nah lef ya!"

I am hoping that Prime Minister Golding will address this issue of "Whose Jamaica, anyway?" during his budget presentation because if the high cost of living continues unabated, especially with respect to food and public transportation, then a very disgruntled and oppressed people may well decide to storm the Bastille even while the "brownings" shout, "Let them eat cassava!"

Jamaica must be for all Jamaicans regardless of one's colour, socio-economic background or partisan persuasion. We must all live, play and work together in unison. Mr Golding must therefore send a clear message to those bigots in his party that dividing up Jamaica into little bits and pieces in order to rule from ivory palaces will not work. This is Marcus Garvey country and I gather that he is Prime Minister Golding's favourite hero. "Up you mighty race, you can accomplish what you will!" Nuff said!

lloydbsmith@hotmail.com
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Aaaaaaaah, Lazie?
    Say with me now - One degree of separation?!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      I daresay that as bad as things were during the PNP regime, it was not as bad as it is now on the social scene. JLP supporters and bigwigs could be seen at many PNP government-related functions. I suspect that having been out in the wilderness for over 18 years, Labourites are now going for the whole hog! But is this good for nation-building which can only be achieved in the final analysis on the basis of consensus and cooperation? Then again, there is a vicious set out there whom I have dubbed "Labourites Against Persons Who Criticise Bruce Golding" that is extremely intolerant of anything or anyone that is not dyed in green.

One such bigot recently sent me a poison-pen email in which she proudly stated that she was glad that as part of the "brown skin minority" Bruce Golding was now in charge and will keep you "damn n i g g e r s" in line!
      Say it ain't so, Lazie! (Please, don't say the predictable. Surprise us!)

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      This is Marcus Garvey country and I gather that he is Prime Minister Golding's favourite hero. "Up you mighty race, you can accomplish what you will!" Nuff said!
      Mi dun talk!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Chris Rock seh him hate ni@@ahs..

Comment

Is that your contribution?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yes

Comment

didn't need a response to my rhetorical question, but thanks anyway.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yuh waan dish it, but yuh cyaan tek it ?

Heh, heh.

Comment

and where have i demonstrated that i can't tek it? don't lionise yuhself, yuh nutten more dan a likkle poosy cat.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

source noted.

Comment

Well this sums it up and if one take
                      note of recent events:

One such bigot recently sent me a poison-pen email in which she proudly stated that she was glad that as part of the "brown skin minority" Bruce Golding was now in charge and will keep you "damn n i g g e r s" in line!

Sad because some in Ja really thought they were voting for better. I only hope the young Jakans will grow up quickly to pass that much needed civil rights bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                        Well this sums it up and if one take
                        note of recent events:

Sad because some in Ja really thought they were voting for better. I only hope the young Jakans will grow up quickly to pass that much needed civil rights bill.
                        Suh long? Who holding up the Charter of Rights Bill?
                        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie stop making yourself a clown
                          on this site; go look up the civics of Ja and the parliamentary system and it will show you that AJ cannot do what you are saying.

Now can you discuss a comprehensive civil rights bill for Ja? No, handle the above first.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                            Lazie stop making yourself a clown
                            on this site; go look up the civics of Ja and the parliamentary system and it will show you that AJ cannot do what you are saying.

Now can you discuss a comprehensive civil rights bill for Ja? No, handle the above first.
                            Really? Why can't he? 2/3 of 60 is what again? ... yet I'm making a clown of myself. Are you telling me you know more about our laws than the former Attorney General?
                            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Politics holding it up, and u know it!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X