RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the Minister of Agriculture do his homework?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did the Minister of Agriculture do his homework?

Scientist wary of toxic levels in cassava
    published: Monday | April 21, 2008

Gareth Manning, Gleaner Writer

Mervin Thomas points to cassava reaped from his farm. Government recently announced plans to promote the increased cultivation of cassava in order to produce flour. - File
    At least one university professor is cautioning the Government against pursuing its plan to use cassava as an alternative to rice and wheat.
    On Wednesday, agriculture minister Dr Christopher Tufton announced the move to use mined-out bauxite lands to plant the root crop for local consumption in response to the rising world prices of wheat and rice.
    But Mark Harris, associate professor of environmental science at the Northern Caribbean University, Manchester, advises the Government to be guarded in introducing cassava as a main staple because it contains the toxic cyanide.
    "In Nigeria, for example, cassava is widely eaten and is believed to be responsible for a nervous disease resulting in deafness and difficulty in walking," Harris argues.
    FEW NUTRIENTS
    He explains that while there are other cyanide-rich crops eaten by the Nigerians that do not have the same effect, the real problem with cassava is that it has very little protein - a third of the protein of wheat and rice - contrary to Tufton's pronouncements on Wednesday.
    In light of this, Harris recommends that the Government complement cassava production with protein-rich crops.
    "An adult consuming one kilogram of cassava has to ingest another 52 grams of protein from other sources to obtain the recommended daily allowance of protein per adult," he said. "Wheat, on the other hand, supplies 121 grams of protein per kg and rice, 61 grams of protein per kilogram."
    Regular consumption of cyanogenic produce, such as cassava, he adds, also depletes the body's protein reserves.
    Protein-deficiency diseases
    "This leads to protein-deficiency diseases such as kwashiorkor - prevalent in some almost exclusively cassava-eating countries - and apparently, some nerve-based malfunctions," Harris states.
    Dean of the faculty of agriculture at the College of Agriculture and Science Education, Captain Jonathan Lamey, is not as pessimistic about the consumption of cassava, though. He emphasises that while the crop can be poisonous, there are different varieties that are low in cyanide which the Government can pursue.
    Types of cassava
    There are two main varieties of cassava: bitter and sweet. The bitter cassava has 50 times more cyanide compared with the sweet variety. However, Lamey is convinced that less-toxic varieties can be developed.
    "Since we live in a knowledge-based economy, let us manipulate the knowledge to produce non-toxic varieties of cassava," he says.
    He agrees, however, that the Government must complement the large-scale production of cassava with protein-rich crops, such as beans, to provide a nutritious balance.
    gareth.manning@gleanerjm.com

What is cyanide?

Cyanide is a poisonous organic compound formed through a fusion of carbon and nitrogen.
    The cassava roots contain compounds, which produce cyanide. Soaking or cooking the tuber can remove cyanide, but it is possible that enough may remain to cause disease over a period of time.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

right, everything poison you over a period of time -

"The cassava roots contain compounds, which produce cyanide. Soaking or cooking the tuber can remove cyanide, but it is possible that enough may remain to cause disease over a period of time"
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

...some more than others.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yeah, but you nuh see some a dem a big it up over rice.

All you do don't eat too much or we have fi gi you some Bissy.

Ain't nothing wrong with eating some cassava one day, a little rich the next, a few banana and dumbling the next, a piece a breadfruit one day and some good Jamaican soup with pumpkin, coco, and yam the next instead of rice everyday.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

and I don't see why we nah use it fi feed animal long time

Comment

Not a ting wrong wid dat, but di minister want di dumpling fi mek outta cassava, di bread fi mek outta cassava, all di banana fi mek outta cassava!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

mi nuh blame him cause we stop planting everything.

On a serious note still we eat too much rich and flour.

At one stage we use to plant rice mainly inna Clarendon and St.Catherine, what ever happen to that? It can't happen again?

Comment

If di minister did say, eat cake, wi woulda eat it, nuh true?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

wha kinda cake?

What the minister is saying, what we should be doing and what the Jamaican people is doing are different things.

In a way this fi happen because we all got away from farming and importing every god almighty thing. 3000 room hotel a build and more a come, what we going to do? import the food or supply them?

Comment

Yuh mek sure mi can get some bammy when mi land Sattiday. Look from me a nyam bammy, mi nah stop now. Granny had her fill & she's now in her 94th year
                    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                      At one stage we use to plant rice mainly inna Clarendon and St.Catherine, what ever happen to that? It can't happen again?
                      WESTMORELAND!
                      ...as den used tuh seh back innah di days - innah Westmoreland, wi used tuh ave rice fi stone dwag!

Cho?! Big Bridge! Little Bridge! Commanty Pan! Broughton! Sheffield! Little London! Mase Muir! Spring Garden! Rice lacka dut! ...an fi wi alligata dem lacka dut, tuh!
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

The 'protein-source' part of the debate is not relevant.

When I include rice, flour or wheat in my diet, it's not for protein. The latter are poor sources of this nutrient.

The same should be for cassava. Cassava main nutritional contribution is for it's carbohydrate (CHO) content-- not protein.

The debate should be centered on ways in making the plant reduce the need for importing other CHO sources like rice, wheat and flour.

A whole bunch of research opportunity exist for these brilliant Jamaican minds. One of which is breeding a speci of casssava that has zero toxin.........
                        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                        X