RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some MPs not driven to buy SUVs - farcical!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some MPs not driven to buy SUVs - farcical!

Some MPs not driven to buy SUVs
    published: Monday | April 21, 2008

Tyrone Reid, Enterprise reporter

The Pajero is among the popular SUVs for government ministers. - Andrew Smith/Photography Editor
    Not all ministers have opted to have a spanking SUV or posh sedan purchased for them from the State's coffers.
    Ken Baugh, deputy prime minister and foreign minister, and Dorothy Lightbourne, justice minister and attorney general, have chosen to drive vehicles that were being driven by their predecessors.
    Official documents obtained under the Access to Information Act showed that the used 2006 vehicle assigned to Ed Bartlett needed repairs before it could have been handed over.
    "It would be, therefore, appreciated if the outstanding things that are to be done are attended to during the time when the minister will be in Europe," instructed Jennifer Griffith, permanent secretary at the Ministry of Tourism, in a memo addressed to the director of corporate services.
    She continued: "This would include the noise reported when the car is been driven around a corner, removal of the scratches and the problem with the door."
    At the same time, Andrew Holness, education minister, and Pearnel Charles, minister of labour and social security, performed the rare act of foregoing their entitlement to a fully maintained vehicle. The Gleaner was informed that both ministers drive their own vehicles.
    Holness told our news team that he opted against taking up the entitlement because he was cognisant of the limited resources and prevailing public perception of ministerial extravagance.
    Avoiding controversy
    "As (part of) a new government, I am very cautious of what the public thinks ... . My other colleagues have decided to take the full benefit but just for my own personal view, I don't want anybody to say I am utilising government funds or exploiting government resources."
    He added: "My position is this, that you will always have people who will say (so) even though that is not the case. It is an entitlement, but I don't want to be accused."
    Would Holness have opted for an SUV if he had decided to take up the benefit? "Unfortunately, SUVs are the best-fit vehicles for our road conditions here ... . It manages the wear and tear. I think the Prado and Pajero are fairly efficient vehicles within their class," he said.
    Holness, who owns a 2007 Mitsubishi Pajero, told The Gleaner that the upkeep he is paid in lieu of taking an assigned motor vehicle is inadequate. He explained that last month, he spent $49,000 for servicing, which he says he tries to get done once per month. In addition, the minister says he pays approximately $10,000 per week to gas up his SUV. "And, that has to be paid for out of my pocket. I don't take anything from the ministry," he said.
    "I like to lead by example. I am very cautious of taking a government vehicle. I contemplated it, I weighed it, but I decided against it."
    His personal expenditure paints a good picture of how much the taxpayers are paying to fuel and maintain the expensive vehicles being driven by public servants.
    Backing the bimmer
    Mullings, who has portfolio responsibility for energy and has been encouraging Jamaicans to be energy efficient, is convinced that the Benz is a good buy.
    "It is (more fuel efficient than an SUV). It has an 1800cc engine ... . You get good value for money," he said.
    The self-proclaimed vehicle enthusiast told The Gleaner he is was no stranger to luxury vehicles. "I am coming from the private domain where I am no stranger to vehicles like BMWs, I have owned five."
    He also explained that his decision not to choose an SUV is not an indictment on his colleagues who have opted to travel that route.
    "There can't be a knee-jerk reaction either ... . The fact that I elected to go that route is not to be a pronouncement on others who elected to go the other route (because) they might have to do more travelling than I have to do.
    "The diesel (used by many SUVs) is also fuel-efficient. You get more bang for the buck," he said.
    Mullings insisted that until he could increase the country's ethanol production, the diesel-guzzling SUVs were the best option. "They are the best option right now, until I can introduce the ethanol. I want to get to the point of 85 per cent ethanol. When I get there, then we make those changes ... . Until we get there, we (can't) just walk up and down hoping that we get there. You have to do something in the (meantime), the Government has to go on, the country has to be run," he stressed.
    There is no indication as to when the nation will achieve that level of ethanol output, but Mullings said he expected to have the 10 per cent blend at the pumps this year. The process is currently in the procurement pipeline.
    However, the minister admitted that SUVs were underutilised in Jamaica. "SUVs are not for potholes. They are for off-road. Most Jamaicans don't (utilise) these properly at all. It is not challenged at all," he said.
    tyrone.reid@gleanerjm.com
    Brand new purchases:

Dr Ronald Robinson (2008 Mitsubishi Pajero)
    Audley Shaw (2008 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado)
    Don Wehby (2008 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado)
    Dwight Nelson (2008 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado)
    Horace Chang (2008 Mitsubishi Pajero)
    Everald Warmington (2008 Mitsubishi Pajero)
    Karl Samuda (2008 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado)
    Clive Mullings (2008 C180K Mercedes-Benz)
    Derrick Smith (2008 Mitsubishi Pajero)
    Dr Christopher Tufton (2008 Mitsubishi Pajero)
    Andrew Gallimore (2008 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado)
    Bigger is better

Safer to drive, fewer accidents per capita.
    Possible off-road capabilities.
    Driver can spot danger and obstructions quicker from his exalted driving position.
    Safer to drive as other drivers tend to 'back off' on the road.
    Smaller is better
    More fuel efficient.
    More manoeuvrable.
    Easier to park when parking is scarce. Cheaper to purchase and maintain.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Frigging banana republic!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I was wondering if the article was worth it.

The only thing that made sense was Andrew Holiness.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

that would be his holiness...the pope! whey di?!!! the pope is holier than thou?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Holiness??! I'm sure he won't mind.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
          X