• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portia should share the blame

LETTER OF THE DAY - Portia should share the blame
    published: Sunday | April 20, 2008

The Editor, Sir:
    At the recently concluded Boys' and Girls' Championships held at the National Stadium, I sat beside the Most Honourable Portia Simpson Miller and I kissed her, or rather she kissed me, several times. I was struck by what appeared to be the genuine warmth of this lady and I couldn't help think that maybe she actually cares about Jamaicans.

When I saw her in Parliament as she delivered her maiden speech as opposition leader, there was fire in her belly as she rose to the defence of the poor. Unfortunately, Simpson Miller needs to understand that when Nadine Sutherland and Terror Fabulous sang, Action, Not a Bag a Mout,it was an explicit criticism of those who say they will do, but do not.

Sticky fingers
    Simpson Miller was Prime Minister for a little over a year and she did not take any positive steps to alleviate the suffering of the poor. She warned the prime minister not to increase the NHT interest rate, but not so long ago, she ignored him when he told her and those in her government not to put "their sticky fingers" on poor people's money.

The NHT is now in problems because of decisions that Simpson Miller, P.J. Patterson, and I daresay, the entire PNP, made.

What would have been an appropriate start to the opposition leader's speech is an apology to the poor for having spent so many years in government and the plight of those in the social underclass has got worse. She should be apologetic that her government introduced the general consumption tax, then increased it, along with a raft of other things that have burdened those who are most in need.

An apology to the poor
    I have no difficulty in the Opposition championing the cause of those in need, for no one can deny that the true test of a civilised nation is how it treats those who are most vulnerable. However, before she begins to chastise the prime minister about the NHT and ask him to "Feel the tears of the mother and hear the cries of the hungry child ..." she should apologise to these mothers and hungry children, for surely, she too is to blame.

I am, etc.,

HAROLD BRUCE MALCOLM
    bruce_26@hotmail.com
    Publications director - Generation 2000
    20 Belmont Road Kingston
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

den when protia was kissing him shi neva know dat he was a lamb in wolf's clothing?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

The question is why should Portia take ALL the blame?
      His headline makes sense in a way he never intended.
      Bruce free tuition and his nondescript healthcare thingy is what made the difference, otherwise his time as PM would be no different than that of the maligned Portia.

Blessed

Comment

Not true.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
          The question is why should Portia take ALL the blame?
          His headline makes sense in a way he never intended.
          Bruce free tuition and his nondescript healthcare thingy is what made the difference, otherwise his time as PM would be no different than that of the maligned Portia.

Blessed
          How you get "ALL" guh read the headline again.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

We should be practical, one year PM,Portia has been getting the lion's share of the blame, as if PJ was never in power.
            Asking that she share the blame in the context set by the writer, implies she isn't being blamed, that is pure ignorance.

Blessed

Comment

Okay, now I must ask you why it is a lie?

Blessed

Comment

Never sai it is a lie, but is not true, there is a big difference but Bruce Golding has made many changes in his approach and his government has exposed a log of corruption, presented a budget on time and is not a supplimentary budget. He has established a constituency fund. Have made changes in the tax codes amongst others. Things that Portia never think of doing.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Surely you do not expect me to give huge credence to each nuance, his anti- corruption campaign would take on new meaning if it netted members of his Govt., and not only those of the opposition party.
                  Furthermore the issue remains what policy would have impacted the voters?

Blessed

Comment

We shall have supplementary budgets for the foreseeable future, despite what Minister Wehby wants.

Next topic!

Omar's budgets were late? Omar never made changes in the tax code?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yes he made changes mainly raising them.

Omar usual present his budgets this early?

Bruce Golding is a breath of fresh air for now.

Comment

rockman...corruption is the abuse of one's public office for personal gain one way or the other.....jlp was operating under a lack of such power for 18 years......hence less chance of corruption.

now that they are in power, the possibility is greater...suh mek wi si...however without a doubt the pnp has been gorging at the trough.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

How much money is Man A Yard raising thru taxes for this budget, Assasin?

And did Man A Yard promise no new taxes?

Yuh pay taxes a Jamaica, btw?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yeah mi pay taxes

Well nuh a it is from the previous tax code, but people who didn't pay

All politicians promise new taxes, raising it on cigarette is common place in most western country, that is the beating stick. For the drivers I can understand.

Comment

Working...
                            X