• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PNP ready to resolve West Portland issue, says Portia

PNP ready to resolve West Portland issue, says Portia
    Balford Henry, Observer writer
    balfordh@jamaicaobserver.com
    Friday, April 18, 2008

Opposition Leader Portia Simpson Miller said yesterday that her People's National Party (PNP) was ready to have dialogue with the Government on resolving the West Portland seat issue.

However, she warned that the PNP was not afraid of fresh general elections, and assured the House of Representatives that she would be victorious if the prime minister chose to call those elections this year.
    "We are not afraid of any threat of elections. Bring it on. Yes, bring it on," the opposition leader said as she strayed from her written speech to respond to sotto voce remarks from Government MPs triggered by her warning that their "honeymoon" period was over.

"For all who are laughing and shouting and going on all you want to behave, let me say something, with just over 2,000 majority is not something to laugh or shout about. Because, what this needs, in terms of the numbers on that side and this side, is co-operation," she said.
    "We are not afraid of anything. Don't come threatening us about elections, because only the prime minister can call the election, and if him call it, we are going to be there and we are going to be victorious. Trust my word. Trust my word. Trust my word," she added.
    Simpson Miller was making her contribution to the 2008/2009 Budget debate at Gordon House.

The brief, noisy episode in her approximately two-hour presentation followed her warning that, while the Opposition had maintained a "posture of silence", for the most part over the last seven months - as it was important to honour the nation's need for time to observe and adjust - the honeymoon was over.

"I wish to serve notice that the period of silent observation is over. The honeymoon has come to an end," she said

But later, a more calm Simpson Miller returned to her prepared text, indicating that she was ready to have dialogue with the Government on resolving the West Portland seat issue. Sitting MP, Daryl Vaz, applauded the gesture.

She said that the obligation on MPs to uphold and defend the Constitution and laws of Jamaica and to discharge, impartially, their responsibilities to the people of Jamaica, was even more imperative, in relation to the composition of the current Parliament.

"If we who take the Oath of Office refuse to honour the Constitution, what's the point?" Simpson Miller asked.

She said that the situation created by the decision of Chief Justice Zaila McCalla that Vaz was not qualified to sit in Parliament, because of his United States citizenship, was not of her party's making.

"All candidates and their political organisations have a duty to ensure that any person nominated for election to Parliament is duly qualified under the Constitution and any other relevant law," the opposition leader said.
    "It is therefore the responsibility of the Government to solve whatever problems that are created by the failure of their candidates and their party to ensure that this takes place.

"The Opposition stands ready to respond, in a constructive manner, inclusive of dialogue with the Government, to ensure that the best interest of the country and its people are protected," she told the House.
    Chief Justice McCalla has ruled that a by-election be held in West Portland to decide on a new MP. However, the defeated PNP candidate in last September's general election, Abe Dabdoub, who took Vaz to court, is appealing this decision and the court has granted a 42-day stay for this to be resolved.

Prime Minister Bruce Golding will make his response in the budget debate on Tuesday, April 22 and minister of finance and the public service, Audley Shaw, will close the debate on Wednesday, April 23.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

If Abe did get the seat them wouldn't tek it?

how nice of them.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
    X