X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opposition split on user-fee issue

Opposition split on user-fee issue
    published: Friday | April 18, 2008

A PHILOSOPHICAL divide has opened up in the 70-year-old People's National Party (PNP) with the party leader and its general secretary enunciating contrasting positions on the abolition of user fees to access health care.

One day after Peter Bunting blasted the Jamaica Labour Party government for its decision to abolish fees to access public health care, PNP President Portia Simpson Miller lauded the Government's decision.

"Sickness is no respector of persons and the fact that people could not afford to pay hospital fees was always a source of great distress to me," Simpson Miller said in her contribution to the 2008-2009 Budget Debate in the House of Representatives.

"I want to commend the minister and the Government for staying on course by continuing what I had started - by making health care for children free from 0-18 years of age - with the intention of continuing the process. I commend the Government for taking the next step, which is to abolish user fees for adults," Simpson Miller said.

Two views
    Simpson Miller was making her first contribution to the Budget Debate in her capacity as leader of the opposition.

On Wednesday, Bunting, the party's general secretary, sang a different tune. "I subscribe to a philosophy of personal responsibility," Bunting, opposition spokesman on industry and commerce, said on Wednesday. "The first responsibility of the welfare of the family must be with the parents," Bunting said. "When a good or service is totally free, it tends not to be appreciated and is used most inefficiently."

Yesterday, however, Bunting sat back quietly as Simpson Miller said the abolition of health fees was a good idea.

The differing positions of the PNP hierarchy did not go unnoticed as Bunting was heckled by Government members and urged to pay penance. "Repent! Repent!" said Government member Gregory Mair, while Dr St Aubyn Bartlett quipped that he should resign as general secretary.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Good to see the PNP can be divided. They are usually one for all in public. The only problem I have is it seems like the GS and the leader should have been a little more in sync.

interesting to hear what Mosiah think, not about the issue but about Portia and Bunting difference.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      Good to see the PNP can be divided. They are usually one for all in public. The only problem I have is it seems like the GS and the leader should have been a little more in sync.

interesting to hear what Mosiah think, not about the issue but about Portia and Bunting difference.
      Hope yuh not holding yuh breath on this? Portia is such a clown, bout the gov't continuing what she started. The OL at the time spoke about it in his presentation last year, then in her presentation she adpoted the idea. Hope unuh aware that part of the 15 billion that was off the books was the fees for the children and teens.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

But didn't she say the government couldn't afford it?

Did she at any stage advocate for free healthcare for all?

A wonder how Omar feel?

I have a feeling that Portia, and Abe may have to join the JLP pretty soon
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

them not in syn on more than just philosphy......clearly the wednesday statement was not vetted by the party leadership...WHY?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

did she not ask "whey di money ago come from" during the debate?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

or a the thursday one wasn't?

Comment

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

well one would have to believe that yuh boss is yuh boss.....so portia not the boss?

Comment

that is true but you remember the look pon Omar face last budget during Portia presentation?

Comment

never saw it.

Comment

I will excuse you then.

Comment

Why is my view on the difference important?!? Have you forgotten that I sided with Portia Simpson Miller when she abstained re the fire trucks issue instead of observing collective responsibility?!?! Mind unnu a mix mi up wid odda people.

I am all for differences within an organisation. I can't see how it would function effectively otherwise. My views don't always sync with Jamaicans for Justice, an organization I have immense respect for. It's how you deal with the differences, that's the key!

It would be more interesting if you asked my views on the free health care, but clearly, we are not into dealing with serious issues here.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Maybe she's still asking that!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

isn't she is responding to a budget speech?

Comment

Working...
                              X