RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open enquiry into alternative investment schemes, Bunting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open enquiry into alternative investment schemes, Bunting...

Open enquiry into alternative investment schemes, Bunting challenges Gov't

ALICIA DUNKLEY, Observer staff reporter dunkleya@jamaicaobserver.com
    Thursday, April 17, 2008

Opposition spokesman on industry and commerce, Peter Bunting, yesterday challenged the Jamaica Labour Party Government to begin an enquiry into the operations of alternative investment schemes, hinting that some of these schemes might have given financial backing to political parties as well as individuals to defend them.

Making his contribution to the 2008/09 Budget Debate in Gordon House in Kingston, Bunting said "responsible persons must have the courage to speak the truth and not be part of any conspiracy of silence or any public relations spin".
    "I believe it would be appropriate to enquire into the operations of alternative investment schemes. Let us learn how much of the public's money these schemes gave to political parties.

"Let us hear how many persons speaking or writing in their defence were actually benefitting financially from doing so. Let the chips fall where they may," Bunting said.

He also took Finance Minister Audley Shaw to task for what he said was his "deafening silence" on the alternative investment schemes in his budget presentation last week, despite having spoken "in defence of these schemes last January in the House... in stark contrast to responsible players in the financial sector who warned the public about the risks and dangers of these schemes".

According to Bunting, reports suggest that since a statement by Shaw in support of such schemes, which "considerably confused the situation, membership in one collapsed entity grew from 4,000 to over 40,000".

"Does the minister feel a sense of responsibility towards these persons, many of whom gave their life savings at risk?" Bunting asked. "The money in the schemes is reported to be tens of billions of dollars."

In the meantime, he also chastised the Government for presenting what he said was a budget chock-full of "populist agenda items", namely "free health care, free education and 100 per cent salary increases".

"The idea of freeness can always be relied on to provide some popular response... I believe this is bad public policy," Bunting said.

In criticising the free health care initiative which came into effect on April 1 and saw the removal of user fees at public hospitals and clinics, Bunting said "public opinion polls do not show health care as a pressing issue of national concern relative to unemployment, crime and galloping food prices".

"The National Health Fund and the Jamaica Drug for the Elderly Programme are already making a tremendous impact on expanding access to drugs and medications; therefore, why was this freeness initiative necessary?" Bunting asked.
    He also said the idea of relieving parents of the responsibility of paying tuition fees for their offspring was a retrograde step.

"The Government should play a supplemental role... and may even have to play a principal role where necessary to compensate for market and personal failures, but it should not, from the outset, assert a paternalistic type of responsibility," Bunting argued.

He also took the Government to task for being 'silent' on the level of inflation which stood at close to 20 per cent at the end of the 2007 fiscal year in March.

"The Government has sought generally to take a hands-off approach to inflation, blaming it on imported costs of food and energy. However, when we compare our rate of inflation to other Caricom countries it is revealing," Bunting charged.

According to Bunting, Prime Minister Bruce Golding, who has portfolio responsibility for the Statistical Institute of Jamaica and the Planning Institute of Jamaica, should explain why Jamaica's rate of inflation was more than twice the Caricom average, even though those countries are subject to the same imported food and energy factors.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

A guess somebody had to say something
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      A guess somebody had to say something
      Whey Mosiah deh? Him somehow hang onto dem breddah yah words. I guess him getting confident.

Cash Plus deh bout from when? What did the previous gov't do about it?
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

So Cash Plus pay the laborite them and them tun run and sink the man
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          So Cash Plus pay the laborite them and them tun run and sink the man
          Nah he was alluding to Olint. You see all them ads G2K was running how yuh tink dem get di funding?

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
            Nah he was alluding to Olint. You see all them ads G2K was running how yuh tink dem get di funding?
            I'm aware of Shaw talking out in defense of Olint, afterall, since when is FOREX trading illegal? Did Shaw defend Cash Plus? Or is Bunting being a typical comrade, lumping everything into one?

Comment

Where was Pete all these months! But then again

Bunting can refer to:
              • Bunting (bird), a group of birds
              • An infant sleeping bag
              • The act of laying down a bunt, a type of offensive play in baseball
              • A lightweight cloth material often used for flags and festive decorations (American). In the United Kingdom, refers to strings of brightly coloured flags often with the Union Jack upon them used to add colour to street parties, fetes, patriotic events (Royal Weddings) etc
              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

But David Smith nuh still inna business?

Anyway people on both sides supported it. Isn't Gigs Ennis connected to one a them?

Comment

Yes but the PNP is still smarting from their defeat which was made possible by people lie David Smith pouring money into the JLP campaign.

Comment

ah well if them want to win election then run the country good and stop ripping off people.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                      Cash Plus deh bout from when? What did the previous gov't do about it?
                      Warn di people an...
                      ...tell di people nuh gi dem dem money! ...an dats FACT!

Everyday JLPites cuss di den government. Weh maudib deh...im did-a lead di charge gainst di PNP government yah? ...weh Mark Wilmot deh?
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                        Warn di people an...
                        ...tell di people nuh gi dem dem money! ...an dats FACT!

Everyday JLPites cuss di den government. Weh maudib deh...im did-a lead di charge gainst di PNP government yah? ...weh Mark Wilmot deh?
                        Oh oh... typical clownrade. Karl ... is Forex Trading illegal? I've heard of people defending Olint. Don't assume defending Olint means defending Cash Plus.

Comment

Oh oh... typical clownrade. Karl ... is Forex Trading illegal? I've heard of people defending Olint. Don't assume defending Olint means defending Cash Plus.

If the Olint guy a yuh fren tell im luk-hout wen im visit JA. Some people deh tink seh a di same scheme im di-a run INNAH JA as Cash Plus (seh fruad?) did-a run...an dem wudda like si im a jail!

mi wudda a tell im nuh fi cum back!

Forex trading?
                          10% + returns per month for years now?
                          iffen big nuh bawl innah public...hit wudda be pure ing!
                          Last edited by Karl; April 17, 2008, 07:21 PM.
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                            If the Olint guy a yuh fren tell im luk-hout wen im visit JA. Some people deh tink seh a di same scheme im di-a run INNAH JA as Cash Plus (seh fruad?) did-a run...an dem wudda like si im a jail!

mi wudda a tell im nuh fi cum back!

Fortex trading?
                            10% + returns per month for years now?
                            iffen big nuh bawl innah public...hit wudda be pure ing!
                            Olint was giving 10%+ per month? Really? I'm aware of Cash Plus. Karl ... you never surprise me.

Comment

Olint was giving 10%+ per month? Really? I'm aware of Cash Plus. Karl ... you never surprise me.
                              Well tell us what they were giving?

Comment

Working...
                              X