Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting indeed

Taken from the gleaner

Reacting to the ruling, Samuda points out that Western Hanover PNP MP, Ian, is in a similar position as Vaz. Samuda, however, did not indicate whether the JLP would move to unseat him.
    Domino effect
    "Ian Hayles, by his own admission, has indicated that at the time he was nominated, he was still an American citizen, which in and of itself implies that the same situation that obtains with Daryl Vaz applies to him," Samuda says. He is of the view that this aspect of the ruling not only affects Vaz but Hayles and other MPs.
    PNP General Secretary Peter Bunting says that the most important thing about the ruling was to establish the principle. Speaking specifically about Hayles, Bunting says: "He took the decision that he would renounce his dual citizenship before running as a candidate in the general election."
    Hayles had applied to renounce his citizenship before nomination day (August 7, 2007), but it was not approved until after the election.
    "The matter of Hayles is one that has to be discussed. I would not pre-empt or suggest a time frame or whether it is something that will be acted upon, but in my own view, it is something that needs to be addressed," Samuda says. He adds: "As I understand it, there are others in the People's National Party, who are in Parliament, who come under those same provisions. If one goes by the ruling, it compromises the whole Parliament and the Constitution. It is something that has to be looked at."
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.
Working...
X