Rice supplying country to cut back on exports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rice supplying country to cut back on exports

Alarm bells are being sounded in the wake of reports that Jamaica's main supplier of rice could cut back on exports.
    The Guyanese government has indicated that it could limit its rice exports to meet local demand.

Because of a worldwide grain shortage, countries have been trying to purchase more rice from producing countries like Guyana.
    Commerce Minister Karl Samuda said this is not good news for Jamaica.
    He said Jamaica would have to take urgent steps to ensure a continued supply of the commodity.

Government officials in Georgetown are to meet this week to discuss limiting exports to ensure that enough rice is available.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Ooooh well back to rice planting in St Catherine, Clarendon and Westmoreland! Didn't Michael Manley say something about "feeding ourselves"?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

All Samuda have to do is cuss dem off as he did when the govt. changed hands a few months ago.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Work the land!
        Interestingly enough it was an attack on what most countries found out at their peril, free trade agreements displace your own infrastructure and makes you dependent. They will argue, just buy from another country then.

Blessed

Comment

I would rather we use the land for whatever we can be the most productive and competitive in. If that is rice, lets go ahead. If that is something else like ethanol, lets do that.

We can always eat the good old ground provisions planted on the hilly land if push come to shove.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Me will tek a nice dry piece of yellow yam any day over rice. Dem have a kind of yellow yam dem refer to as p u m p u m yam (karl must know it).
            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
            - Langston Hughes

Comment

why yuh single out karl? eh? is ongle him in a position to mek di comparison?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

cause him know everything! Shady Pines doest not diminish the memory of some things
                Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                - Langston Hughes

Comment

and i guess yam is one of those things!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                    I would rather we use the land for whatever we can be the most productive and competitive in. If that is rice, lets go ahead. If that is something else like ethanol, lets do that.

We can always eat the good old ground provisions planted on the hilly land if push come to shove.
                    Never ethanol for us!
                    We are too small and the waste is runious!

btw -Off topic - Solar energy, and wind turbines...ahem - water? Roaring River springs to mind - could make us less dependent on oil.
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Even as a by-product of sugar like Brazil does? I know they have much larger scale but bwoy the sugar cane production that we do seems to be about 50 years behind current technology.

I do have my doubts about ethanol long-term, I recently saw an interview with Waren Buffet and he says although his son (a large scale farmer) has benefitted a lot from the increased price of grain as demand for ethanol has increased, he thinks it is not the answer to the worlds energy problems because production is very inefficient. It could be a niche product for some markets though.
                      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                      X