• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University students vow to fight JUTC to keep bus routes

University students vow to fight JUTC to keep bus routes
    BY INGRID BROWN Observer staff reporter browni@jamaicaobserver.com
    Tuesday, April 08, 2008

THE University of Technology (UTech) Students' Union says it is prepared to do battle with the Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC), on behalf of the 7,000 students who will be affected, if the state-owned company holds firm to its plan to remove buses contracted by the university to transport its students.
    The JUTC said buses have been operating illegally and were infringing on its licence since it had the exclusive rights to operate in the Kingston Metropolitan Transport Region (KMTR).
    The JUTC said the students would have to put forward a very convincing argument, supported by facts if it should offer any consideration to granting a sub-licence to these bus operators which transport UTech and University of the West Indies (UWI) students from Harbour View, Portmore, Spanish Town, Duhaney Park and Gregory Park, via Half-Way-Tree, and as far as Old Harbour, about 14 miles outside of Spanish Town.
    Service manager at JUTC, Kirk Finnikin, told the Observer yesterday that the bus company was not yet in a position to say what the next move would be as it was still waiting to receive copies of the licence that the current bus operators were operating under.
    He said JUTC officials would at least have one sit-down meeting with representatives of the two universities, but said this was not an indication that the buses would be able to continue operating.
    "If they can present a valid argument then it would strengthen their case but it is not a guarantee that we will grant such a sub-licence," he said.
    In the meantime, Tameka Chevannes, vice-president for public relations at UTech Student Union said this bus service offered to the students was heavily subsidised by the students' union, dues and other sources.
    "The UTech Students' Union is in no way threatening the operations of the JUTC because we operate under a loss to provide this service to our students for their welfare," she said.
    The UTech Students' Union, meanwhile, said all buses contracted by them were owned by JUTA operators, who all have contract carriage licences which enable them to operate on a contractual basis.
    "This bus service has been ongoing for over three years and the UTech Students' Union was never advised by the Transport Authority to seek licences directly from the JUTC," the UTech Students' Union said yesterday. "The Transport Authority even issued contract carriage licences to the bus owners/operators in question, provided that they could provide proof of being contracted by the UTech Students' Union," the statement added.
    It said, too, that the student union was given stipulations by the Transport Authority under which these buses should operate. Based on these stipulations, the buses were only to transport UTech and UWI students, which they have conformed to.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Siding with the students on this one. Dennis Chung need fi find someting fi duh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      Siding with the students on this one. Dennis Chung need fi find someting fi duh!
      Why mi nuh surprised? Did you arm yuhself with the facts before "siding with the students"?
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

And what are the facts, Lazie? I guess I am late again?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

And what are the facts, Lazie? I guess I am late again?
          Remember, the JUTC has exclusive rights to the KMTR. On NNN this morning it was disclosed that some of these operators were also "hustling" which, even if they were operating legally on behalf of UWI and Utech, they're stepping out of bounds by picking up other passengers.

The JUTC has stated that they're willing to provide buses to accomodate the students.

It is comical for taxpayers to be paying for the JUTC yet there are other entities owned by taxpayers providing competition to the JUTC.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

How come the govt. has several buses on the road for "govt. employees", operated by Bloomfield? What's the difference here?

If the UWI and UTech drivers are operating the buses illegally, then that's another matter and should be dealt with.

There are countless numbers of other entities with their own private bus service, such as Air Jamaica. Until the JUTC can show me how the university system is different, dem need fi chill and stop issue threat.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

How come the govt. has several buses on the road for "govt. employees", operated by Bloomfield? What's the difference here?

If the UWI and UTech drivers are operating the buses illegally, then that's another matter and should be dealt with.

There are countless numbers of other entities with their own private bus service, such as Air Jamaica. Until the JUTC can show me how the university system is different, dem need fi chill and stop issue threat.
              That was also addressed this morning. They have no problem with a shuttle service for the employees.

Why unuh insist on jumping the gun? Tek a step back, get the facts and stop having no mercy pon unuh credibility nuh?

Comment

All I am saying, if you would keep the idle chat to a minimum, is that somebody need to show me how the university system is different. Why is that not considered a shuttle service for students?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

All I am saying, if you would keep the idle chat to a minimum, is that somebody need to show me how the university system is different. Why is that not considered a shuttle service for students?
                  Know what ..... call NNN fi a tape of "This Morning" this morning. Gosh!

Comment

Did they explain why they are different?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Did they explain why they are different?
                      Yes ... as mi say, get the tape.

Comment

Ah not getting it, Lazie. If yuh nuh want eddicate mi pon dis, den low mi mek mi believe what mi waan believe.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

disagree with you and the students... i can understand the university having a shuttle to some specific transportation center like the halway tree depot... or from the htw transport center to the university...
                          'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Working...
                          X