X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gleaner EDITORIAL - Good move at AG's office

EDITORIAL - Good move at AG's office
    published: Tuesday | April 8, 2008

Dorothy Lightbourne has been the revelation of Bruce Golding's Cabinet - but not in a positive way. As an opposition member of the Senate, we used to consider her constructive and and hoped she would bring a thoughtful expansiveness to a ministerial portfolio. By most reports, as attorney general, Ms Lightbourne has been narrowly partisan, looking into ever crevice for political opponents and evidence of disloyalty.

Her attitude is reported to have created deep tension and concern at the AG's chambers, from which a number of lawyers have sought to escape, to a point, as is now reported, Mr Golding has asked for a review of the operations.

If indeed such an investigation is under way, we believe it is incumbent on Mr Golding to inform the public of its scope and full terms of reference. Any such review should also include an assessment of what role Mr Golding's move to prevent Professor Stephen Vasciannie being appointed solicitor general played in creating creating employee disquiet at the AG's chambers.
    The opinions on this page, except for the above, do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner. To respond to a Gleaner editorial, email us: editor@gleanerjm.com or fax: 922-6223. Responses should be no longer than 400 words. Not all responses will be published.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

My thoughts exactly. Ms. Lightbourne was an effective senator, but she has lost the plot as AG.

On the other hand, I thought Delroy Chuck was a contentious opposition MP, but he certainly has mellowed and matured as Speaker of the House.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      My thoughts exactly. Ms. Lightbourne was an effective senator, but she has lost the plot as AG.

On the other hand, I thought Delroy Chuck was a contentious opposition MP, but he certainly has mellowed and matured as Speaker of the House.
      Is it possible that they dollyhouse that people were used to is coming to an end? I've heard that some of these people who are being paid a salary for their duties are also billing the gov't for services and this is what Ms. Lightbourne is putting her foot on.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

... as attorney general, Ms Lightbourne has been narrowly partisan, looking into ever crevice for political opponents and evidence of disloyalty.
        Let's not cloudy the stream with this dollyhouse argument.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          Let's not cloudy the stream with this dollyhouse argument.
          At times I wonder if you jokers are interested in cleaning up the mess or unuh want business as usual. On NNN it was discussed that many lawyers after being paid a salary for their services would turn round and invoice public entities for their services. Lightbourne doesn't agree with that and is moving to deal with it.

How is that attempting to to cloudy the stream? Even Wrong Jungle came out talking bout political victimization .. only for Lightbourne to show what is happening.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

You site one example and that negates...not getting into it wid yuh.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

18 year termite infestation and people a bawl bout 'protocol' and who feelings getting hurt..

Heh, heh. Comedy Central.

Comment

Working...
              X