Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps, ICE tried it before, the judge said no

Originally posted by X View Post
    Mentally ill patients are hard if not impossible to deport , if it can be proven that illness happened in the USA even for illegals, now this guy has a green card and was a soldier.

He isnt going nowhere , he will be institutionalised for the rest of his life in a psych ward , if he responds to treatment he will be followed by the system as an out patient until medicare becomes bankrupt, which could happened by the end of George Bush presidency.

He has a good chance. ICE tried to deport another veteran that got into trouble and the judge told them no.
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Not sure if deportation is his problem. He was trying to go to Jamaica in the first place, so a free flight home might just be the thing he wants right about now.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Good News is he has a brother in Orlando whom he was staying with , all he needs to do is provide his court appointed lawyer with his psychiatric history , and the judge will take it from there , psych eval and then psych institution.

Bomb trial on - Jamaican suspect to face US court
        published: Friday | April 4, 2008

ORLANDO, Florida (AP)
        United States magistrate Karla Spaulding yesterday found probable cause to detain the former United States Army soldier and Iraq contractor accused of trying to take bomb components on to an aeroplane to Jamaica, pending a Grand Jury indictment.
        Jamaican Kevin Brown's attorney, Assistant Federal Public Defender Clarence Counts, however, argued that there was not probable cause because the bomb components allegedly found in Brown's bags were not assembled, and he could not reach them after having checked in his luggage.
        No danger
        "He didn't have any way of even detonating any explosive device, so there really was no danger to anyone on the aeroplane by my client," Counts said.
        According to H. Charles Johnson, a lawyer representing Brown's family in his mother's 2005 slaying, Brown had a history of mental illness and was distraught over the murder.
        The woman - Sandra McLeod - was operating a hotel at the time of her murder.
        Yesterday, Johnson told The Gleaner that the case against the three men charged with McLeod's murder remained in limbo.
        Brown had been in and out of hospitals before his arrest on Tuesday at the Orlando International Airport, said Johnson.
        "He was a bit unstable," Johnson said. "I think the mother's death would have been on his mind."
        Brown was charged with one count of attempting to carry an explosive or incendiary device on to an aircraft.
        Kelly Boaz, an FBI task force bomb technician, who inspected the bags, testified that the items could have been ignited if they had met a heat source.
        Senior Gleaner Writer Janet Silvera contributed to the story. Served in the US Army from 1999-2003.
        Worked in Iraq as an equipment parts receiver from July to December 2007,
        Had been receiving care at the Malcom Randall Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Gainesville.
        Jail records list his address as a Gainesville apartment for University of Florida students, where he had been apparently staying with his brother.

More Lead Stories

E-mail this story

Print this Page

Letters to the Editor

Most Popular Stories

addthis_url = location.href; addthis_title = document.title; addthis_pub = 'gleaneronline';
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

I know of two man dat goh desert storm, cum back wid dem head gone, got in trouble, straight deport, right now one of dem walking round an round the corporate area talking to himself

Comment

Ohhh.. that explains why Truthsayer visits to the site so few and far between.. him should probably gravitate near a wireless hot-spot...

Comment

I know of soldiers being deported too, but like i said if it can be proven the person developed a psychiatric condition after he came to the USA ,then they have a good chance of not being deported.

Dont know the details of your friend case , to say if his head was gone before or after he came to the USA , or after he got deported to Jamaica .From my experience in the medical field its almost impossible but not impossible to deport an individual with a mental condition .

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

"He didn't have any way of even detonating any explosive device, so there really was no danger to anyone on the aeroplane by my client," Counts said.
                No Jamaican will try and hurt his fellow Jamaicans in this manner. That Air Jamaica flight was in no danger. Right?

Mi nah lie. If my mom was murdered while I lived in the States, there is no telling what would be on my mind. You can trust me on that!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I know of soldiers being deported too, but like i said if it can be proven the person developed a psychiatric condition after he came to the USA ,then they have a good chance of not being deported.

Dont know the details of your friend case , to say if his head was gone before or after he came to the USA , or after he got deported to Jamaica .From my experience in the medical field its almost impossible but not impossible to deport an individual with a mental condition .
                  What of individuals with no support (family?/friends?/good samaritan system?)? ...could it be easier to deport such?
                  Just asking!
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

It depends ......advocacy..... , if you have no advocate , dawg nyam yuh suppa in the court system , but in the hospital enviroment , they cannot remove them from the hospital , I know of patients living on psych wards over 5 years, elderly people with dementia on medical floors , no green card or proof of one, they get transfered to Nursing Homes after years of going through the court system .The Hospital is thier advocate against the state and federal government, why ? they get reimbursed money to house them.

Laws are changing to make it expensive for Hospitals to take this position by eliminating the financial perks for housing them, so they shuffle them out to Nursing Homes or Adult homes as quick as they can.

Mentally ill people who get used in crimes and get caught in the court system have a tougher time because they have no advocate.
                    Last edited by Sir X; April 4, 2008, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X