• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news Mo, Willi, Mdmex, Karl and Jawge don't read

Chinese eye Air Jamaica
    published: Friday | March 28, 2008

Edmond Campbell, News Coordinator

An Air Jamaica plane on the tarmac of the Norman Manley International Airport in Kingston. - Ian Allen/Staff Photographer
    AT LEAST one majorhas expressed an interest in acquiring Jamaica's cash-strapped national.
    Finance and the Public Service Minister Audley Shaw told The Gleaner this week that the Chinese national airline, Air China, has had initial talks with the Government with a view to operate Air Jamaica.
    Prime Minister Bruce Golding, in his first radio call-in programme on January 30, told listeners that Air Jamaica was costing the country too much to maintain. He said the Government had plans to remove it from the national budget.
    Air Jamaica has racked up significant losses, costing the country more than US$100 million (J$7 billion) to maintain annually.
    "It is poor people's taxes we have to be using to maintain it and that cannot continue," Golding said on the programme.
    The prime minister said he had instructed the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service to initiate talks with private interests that would be prepared to operate the airline.
    120 destinations
    Air China currently flies to about 120 destinations from its Beijing hub. The airline carried nearly four million passengers in 2006.
    The airline made a profit of 2.7 billion yuan (US$385.1 million) in 2006 with an operating revenue of 44.9 billion yuan (US$6.4b).
    Air China is the fourth-largest airline in Asia, the fifth largest in the world in terms of domestic cargo traffic.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Great!

Not so sure about Chinese and avaition safety, but maybe we can teach them a thing or two about that. Just show wi di money!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Plus nuff Chinese woulda pass through as tourist as well, connecting to other places and enjoying we country.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Good that they have shown an interest! Hopefully it will lead to great benefits for both parties!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

as long as them don't serve any donkey meat and P E N I S stew I was watching the Traveller channel, where this guy was in China and tasting all these weird (my opinion) dishes - donkey stew, the cooked penis of every animal that walks or creeps.

Either him damn craven, or him have a very strong stomach
          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

China Airlines which is owned by Chinese government has a poor safety record. I know some people who travel occasionally to the Far East, and they will not travel on any airline that is operated by Chinese. We need to take a hard look at their proposal, and we have to make sure no corners will be cut that could potentially jeopardize safety. China is the wild west, where there is little regulation, little government oversight, and it is all about profits.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Profit? Air Jamaica? can they be used in the same sentence?

Ah bwoy at least it have us talking.

Comment

Such a bluddy shame a Jamaican company cannot successfully manage the airline.
                The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Those were my exact sentiments when the Metrostars were bought by the Austrians and became the NY Red Bulls.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

genius...stop.

The acqusition of the metrostars was not because of poor management...

(As much as you love your SUV...if someone make you and offer you cannot refuse...you gwine tek it.
                    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                    X