Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with the JP foolshness

What's going on in Jamaica?

I understand that JPs won't sign unless they know you and it is causing problems for people who want to apply for public documemts.

Why does a JP need to know your character in order to sign a document?

The public should be able to get sign a docment notarised by presenting two pieces of ID plus. The JP should be signing to state that the document was signed in his or her presence and that the signer presented a valid form of id.
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

You're right!
    ...JPs are at times asked to testify on character! In such cases they should 'know you'!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

What if the people don't have two forms of ID? So many Jamaicans don't even have one.

In my days JP sign because them know you and your family.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post

In my days JP sign because them know you and your family.
        Situations where JPs vouch for character - Times have changed where JPs and others (Ministers of Religion) can vouch for the young ones based on knowledge of the parents.
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

how much so Karl when nuff country people have no ID.

I went to visit a former teacher in 2000 and he was a JP a man came and said he wanted to buy furniture and the the store say somebody have to verify his info.

The JP never know him personally but knew his family well and therefore signed the paper. Remember in Jamaica there is no street address and in many of these district and the post office serve more than even one district so these organization have to depend on trustworthy people to help them or it is not that hard for them to be robbed.

How many youngster under 23 year old have an id? I didn't have one till about 21.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Alright, but I am hearing of cases where the person wants ato apply for a drivers licence , has a valid passport but the JP will not sign because they don't know the subject!

Hwe in New York CIty, you only need a valid govt id to get a signature notarized.
            The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Time View Post
              Alright, but I am hearing of cases where the person wants ato apply for a drivers licence , has a valid passport but the JP will not sign because they don't know the subject!

Hwe in New York CIty, you only need a valid govt id to get a signature notarized.
              JP and Notary is two different ting.

Comment

So back to my orginal question. Why does a JP need to know your character in order to sign a form?

Comment

So back to my orginal question. Why does a JP need to know your character in order to sign a form?
                  I was not aware that JP's need to know your character to sign a simple form. I do know that JP's can grant accused persons bail and all that so in those cases they have to know your character. As far as i know as long as yuh have valid identification JP supposed to just seal yuh documents.

Comment

how much so Karl when nuff country people have no ID.

I went to visit a former teacher in 2000 and he was a JP a man came and said he wanted to buy furniture and the the store say somebody have to verify his info.

The JP never know him personally but knew his family well and therefore signed the paper. Remember in Jamaica there is no street address and in many of these district and the post office serve more than even one district so these organization have to depend on trustworthy people to help them or it is not that hard for them to be robbed.

How many youngster under 23 year old have an id? I didn't have one till about 21.

Re-read what I wrote. I hope you realise that I am saying the days when a JP, Minister of Religion and others who would willingly and without qualms put their integrity at risk and testify on behalf of someone not personally known...but whose family and or acquaintances were known, are long past.

Comment

The JP should sign in those cases as it is merely an ID verification .

Comment

it is not long past Karl gwaan fool yourself.

How can it be long pass when you don't have 30 computers in police station islandwide that is working? How can it be long pass when majority of Jamaicans under 21 don't two valid ids?

Comment

it is not long past Karl gwaan fool yourself.

How can it be long pass when you don't have 30 computers in police station islandwide that is working? How can it be long pass when majority of Jamaicans under 21 don't two valid ids?
                          AaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllRight, boss!

Comment

Working...
                          X