• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divisive Dem Contest Could Boost McCain

Poll: Divisive Dem Contest Could Boost McCain
    By Fred Lucas
    CNSNews.com Staff Writer
    March 21, 2008

(CNSNews.com) - The lengthy Democratic primary contest bodes well for Republican chances of holding the White House, a new poll suggests.

As Democratic Senators Barack Obama of Illinois and Hillary Clinton of New York slug it out for the nomination, many of their supporters -- at least in Pennsylvania, site of the next major primary -- aren't committed to the party's ticket in November, according to a Franklin & Marshall College Poll.

Among Obama supporters, 20 percent said they would vote for Sen. John McCain of Arizona, the Republican nominee, if Clinton beats their candidate for the nomination. Among Clinton supporters, 19 percent said they would support McCain in November if Obama is the Democratic nominee. (See poll)
    The significant number of potential defectors underscores how divisive the Democratic primary has been.

Democrats won Pennsylvania in the 2000 and 2004 presidential races, but it was a competitive state in both election cycles. McCain, meanwhile, has touted his appeal to swing voters.

"Pennsylvania is a must-win state for a Democratic presidential nominee," Nathan Gonzalez, political editor of the Rothenberg Political Report, told Cybercast News Service. "If there is a significant weakness for a Democrat in Pennsylvania, it could indicate a weakness in Ohio or other key states."

Even a few months ago, the presidential race looked like a major uphill climb for any Republican candidate. But recent polls suggest a toss-up between McCain and either Democratic candidate.

Obama and Clinton both have many negatives, which doesn't make the Pennsylvania poll too surprising, said Doris Graber, a political science professor at the University of Illinois.

"Obama is very liberal, more liberal than we've seen on the campaign trail. Also, there is still racism out there," Graber told Cybercast News Service . "Hillary, we've known all along, has strong supporters. But there are also a lot of people who would never vote for her. There is some antipathy from the Clinton years. Some wouldn't vote for her because she's a woman."

Graber believes it is "almost a certainty" that the Obama-Clinton battle will be decided at the Democratic National Convention, which could drive a wedge through the party.

"Democratic voters could be persuaded not to vote for a candidate with vulnerabilities," she continued. "A vote for McCain wouldn't be that difficult. He does appeal to the middle."

However, Gonzales cautioned not to read too much into a single poll, or discount the desire of Democratic voters to move beyond the George W. Bush years, of which McCain has become the heir.

"This is a very personal and competitive Democratic primary," he said. "Clinton and Obama supporters have trouble seeing themselves with the other now. A healing period will have to happen."
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

What you think Hortical, you think Obama can turn it around? People get so emotional and irrational about race in the US it look tough to me. In Penn. I expect him to get 95% of the black vote and <20% of the white vote, and that is among Democrats.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I would NEVER vote for Clinton

Among Obama supporters, 20 percent said they would vote for Sen. John McCain of Arizona, the Republican nominee, if Clinton beats their candidate for the nomination. Among Clinton supporters, 19 percent said they would support McCain in November if Obama is the Democratic nominee.

Under no circumstances would mi ever vote for Clinton, the mudslinger!

Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

He has time to turn things around in Penn. But his popularity took a hard hit over the preacher issue. Anything that can direct people's attention to his strengths is beneficial.

Comment

Almost similar to what hit the
          PNP. The PNP never recovered from the presidential race to run
          a strong campaign. To this day there is a serious split in the party because Portia Simpson Miller was elected president.

Garvey spoke of our minds in a western society; Portia is treated no differently from BO (because both are thought to be inferior;although from different perspectives). As long as Portia remains president she will be backstabbed and sabaotaged (and trust me the PNP is not short of those kind of spineless characters). In the days of Joshua the people felt as if they were one with the PNP. You didn't have to be a delegate or at the top, you know you were one. Now the PNP has evolved in to an elite group of aristocrats that feel the populace should just be thankful for them being there. If you are not part of this bloodline of aristocrats, you will be destroyed.

I can tell you this; this Obama thing will not go silently. I think the DEMs stand to lose their minority base to the republicans. Remember Obama was not of the Jesse, or Sharpton mold (civil rights background) and he felt the full brunt of racism within the party. BO is really the Condi , Colin Powell, et al mold. Blacks are taking notes and comparing (regardless of who they come with) yet look at the rewards given to blacks on the other side. I think BO showed up the Democrats big time.

Comment

Fish: Welcome to the deep

Comment

"Mudslinger"? I can't tell you who to vote for but all a di politician them a mudslinger, even Obama.

it is just a part of the business bredda.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The PNP couldn't have won before the internal election and if the PNP heads had a choice to give it someone it would have been to Peter Phillips so you can gwaan talk.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

True about the before and true about the "heads" and
                  Phillips. You are just saying what I'm saying with different words.

Now that I look at it: They should've had their way and given it to Phillips.There would be only ten or so MPs in the opposition and the PNP would have returned to its roots. Nanny P brought them within three seats and they think the people is with them.

Comment

Working...
                  X