No announcement yet.

Faulty design of North Coast Highway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are bigger problems than stop lights right now. There is no place for taxis and buses to stop and let off/pick up passengers (bus bays).

If it was 26 lights along the length of the entire highway, then that would be okay for me, but in the Mobay region alone?!? There is a light near Rosehall and maybe another one some place else. 26 more?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
      I know that 26 stoplights along that highway is not a solution, it is a problem.
      You may well be right... but what if there is no space to put a ramp ... what do they do? I'm not claiming to be an engineer.

On the highway in Runaway Bay, where the vehicles turn to go to Brown's Town ... when I saw it I said a traffic light is needed at that spot ... man asked mi if mi tink a farin mi deh. There is no spot there for a ramp.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        There are bigger problems than stop lights right now. There is no place for taxis and buses to stop and let off/pick up passengers (bus bays).

If it was 26 lights along the length of the entire highway, then that would be okay for me, but in the Mobay region alone?!? There is a light near Rosehall and maybe another one some place else. 26 more?!?

Okay ... and I'm accused of cheerleading.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

A road where the average speed is likely to be above 65 mph is not served well by a traffic light. Older roads that had pre-exisiting traffic lights, and where the roads were widened to become an highway will have traffic lights. But, if you are constructing a new highway, it is a mistake for the road to be littered with traffic lights.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

There is a traffic light at that spot in Runaway Bay.

For pedestrians, they should consider overhead bridges. For traffic to get on and off the highway, simple turning lanes (not the fancy on and off-ramps) should suffice.

I would have to travel on that highway again to be sure, but I can't imagine 26 lights in the Montego Bay area! Mike needs to speak with some traffic engineers.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Then again, there was a good stretch of the highway where the speed limit was apparently 50 km/h! I couldn't believe it and was almost caught by a police speed trap. It was a sin for anybody to be travelling at that speed on the wide open road. At that speed, they might as well put all 26 lights on that stretch of highway!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yes , I am talking about the in the MoBay region. Now that you mention it, maybe he meant 26 along the whole highway even though he was talking about Mobay. That would make some sense.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

The southern state parkway runs parallel

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                  Bypass road ... exit ramp? Thinking ... where would those be implemented? The Sunrise Highway in NY have traffic lights. How y'all know that this isn't the best and most affordable solution?

Man, you must be a politician or a lawyer. It is ok for Sunrise Highway have lights because the southern state parkway which runs parallel to the sunrise highway does not have lights. The plan is very simple. If you are going very far then you take the southern state.

Do we have two highways here?
                  The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Lazie just keeping it real!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Time View Post
                      Man, you must be a politician or a lawyer. It is ok for Sunrise Highway have lights because the southern state parkway which runs parallel to the sunrise highway does not have lights. The plan is very simple. If you are going very far then you take the southern state.

Do we have two highways here?
                      Unuh ago play dandy shandy now. Again ... where dem ago build exit / entrance ramps down deh so? If unuh drive pon it unuh will realize most of the space already use up.

If you can understand that .. good. Islandman said 26 lights may be a problem ... is it a problem on the sunrise highway? Not a politician nor a lawyer ... just a thinking person. Lights deh a various spots on the north coast hightway ... suh whats the fuss?

Comment

Islandman said 26 lights may be a problem ... is it a problem on the sunrise highway? Not a politician nor a lawyer ... just a thinking person. Lights deh a various spots on the north coast hightway ... suh whats the fuss?
                        What's so hard to understand? It's not a problem on the Sunrise Highway because there is the Southern State that runs parallel nearby! DUH! With the North Coast Highway, there is no such aternative road.

So because we have lights on the highway already means we should hug up 26 more??!

Are you familiar with the highway at all, Lazie? You talk as if space for ramps is a serious problem.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What's so hard to understand? It's not a problem on the Sunrise Highway because there is the Southern State that runs parallel nearby! DUH! With the North Coast Highway, there is no such aternative road.

So because we have lights on the highway already means we should hug up 26 more??!

Are you familiar with the highway at all, Lazie? You talk as if space for ramps is a serious problem.
                          Pity people cannot be honest. My back broad so i don't have to tek a popular position. As mi tell Hortical .. call the PM pon him call in program den nuh?

Comment

Pity people cannot be honest. My back broad so i don't have to tek a popular position. As mi tell Hortical .. call the PM pon him call in program den nuh?
                            Where is the dishonesty in what I just said? Is the Southern State an alternative to Sunrise Highway or not?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Where is the dishonesty in what I just said? Is the Southern State an alternative to Sunrise Highway or not?
                              Who talking bout Southern State? Why unuh act suh daff sometimes? Traffic light nuh deh at various points on the highway? The same problem that caused a traffic light to be implemented at Runaway Bay, nuh the same problem gonna exist as various intersection in Mobay? Yes, exit ramps and merging lanes would be ideal, but people whey drive pon it need fi be honest.

Comment

I thought they were using an existing road ?

Did they build a new Highway ???

I presume the existing road had entry points.

How do you address traffic movement unto and off the highway without causing accidents ???

You people either need to apprise yourselves of the facts OR stop assuming that we still have morons running the country. Mike Henry is by FAR one of the more intelligent politicians wi have.

Soooo eidda get the facts or walk carefully.. yuh might end up mekking a fool of yourselves like Karl.. look before you leap.

Comment

Working...
                                X