X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Government conned by false Dean victims

Government conned by false Dean victims
    published: Wednesday | March 19, 2008

Hundreds of persons have been trying to [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]fleece[/COLOR][/COLOR] the Government by claiming that they were affected by Hurricane Dean.
    Already the Ministry of Labour and Social Security has held on to $10.5 million which was slated to be paid to persons in Clarendon who made claims for damage which they did not suffer.
    False claims
    Social Security Minister Pearnel Charles yesterday told the House of Representatives that his ministry was aware that it had received a number of false claims and is working hard to ensure that money is paid to actual victims.
    "I have received more names from parliamentarians and churches more than the number of house in [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Jamaica[/COLOR][/COLOR]," Charles said.
    "Both from you, this side and outside" Charles added.
    This was to set off a noisy debate in the House by Opposition members.
    The charge was led by Opposition Leader Portia Simpson Miller who demanded clarity on what she said could be interpreted as the minister implying that persons on the Opposition benches were involved in a scam to get assistance for persons who did not suffer damage.
    "People could conclude from what the minister said that some persons submitted lists (of victims) that were dishonest," Simpson Miller argued.
    But Charles saw no reason to back down as he was adamant that he was not pointing fingers at the Opposition.
    "I'm not responsible for interpretation," Charles countered. "We received a list with thousands of names from the previous Government and we asked persons to investigate it because we find mother, father, cousin and uncle from one yard on the list," he added.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.
Working...
X